IGNORED

Fishy experiments with Rb+ on the Jaguar...

Clint Thompson

That could be a possibility too, though I don't know anything about them other than being extinct and dinosaur like? I guess another enemy maybe for a different level.

https://youtu.be/pzYM_-1J85Y

If all everyone wants is a screensaver, I guess I could always just add some soothing ambient loop tunes in the back, set it and forget it.

I dunno about that but perhaps two versions. Maybe feature creep like Mosasaurs etc would make it problematic for game implementation.

Nice graphic implementation practice maybe.

One screensaver aquarium version with the works and one with just game concerned features.

Edited by JagChris
  • Like 1

Usually a crash like that in VJ will be due to a variable or object with a strange value. It'll be worth double checking over everything to make sure there's no strange values.

I've never had VJ issues with RB+ before except where I've messed up something such as object properties/setting incorrect values or with using incorrect sound/input values.

There's usually something somewhere, it's just tracking it down ;)

I dunno about that but perhaps two versions. Maybe feature creep like Mosasaurs etc would make it problematic for game implementation.

Nice graphic implementation practice maybe.

One screensaver aquarium version with the works and one with just game concerned features.

That's a good idea actually, to include an aquarium screensaver mode just for funzies and would be easy enough to implement since the assets are already there. Thanks for the video link, I'll have to see if I can add something like that later on down the line but I've got far bigger fish to fry :rolling: in the meantime before that option presents itself.

Usually a crash like that in VJ will be due to a variable or object with a strange value. It'll be worth double checking over everything to make sure there's no strange values.

I've never had VJ issues with RB+ before except where I've messed up something such as object properties/setting incorrect values or with using incorrect sound/input values.

There's usually something somewhere, it's just tracking it down ;)

Absolutely no doubt something is wonky within and as wonky as it is, strangely still works ok on real hardware and phoenix, but that's not to say something isn't wrong because I'm sure it is. If the fish game ever exists, I'll make sure to completely redo the Aquarium so it doesn't do anything insane. It's nothing more then a really bad demo, buggy one that I hope doesn't find its way on eBay for $20 from some 3rd party scalper. I don't mind sharing the WIP stuff though, just everything seems to need an extreme caution and warning label on it.

• Like 3

After about another 10 hours of dive time and quite a bit of self frustration with learning how to do things properly plus lots of trial and error, I have achieved the original goal set out to accomplish over the weekend on this "could be" fish game: flip the fish, collision with other fish or eating the fish, add background changes, add music changes, add fish change placement, etc. While nothing you see here is final, finished, complete or polished, I did want to show a quick video of what I've managed to accomplish in such a very short period of time - and even though it isn't much, am really close to an actual playable game now - in the sense that you can eat fish, they will eat you and you can progress. With that said, all the graphic renders, music, sounds and voices are newly created specifically for this demo.

Running on real hardware:

Next in order to work on after the holidays would be: other fish or enemy fish capable of killing you, fine tuning the enemy fish placement/randomization and scaling, adding many more fish per level, figuring out the wonky audio issues, adding in-between bonus/boss stages, etc.

• Like 6

I noticed that the jellyfish currently appear to be just part of the scenery and there is nothing wrong with that particularly if it is just going to be a demo/screen saver.

If you were to turn it into a game you could still keep the jellyfish as just scenery however, as thier stings are know to cause a form of muscle cramping/paralysis then in case it has not already occurred to you that could be added as an consequence of contacting them, i.e. make any fish that contacts them either...

a) unable to move for a few seconds afterwards

b) move more slowly for a few seconds afterwards or

c) causes the fish to turn upside down for a period of time afterwards during which its directions are the opposite to the normal

you could use just one of the above, or a combination either using the different effects for different levels to increase difficulty or as 3 types of randomly appearing jellyfish with each type causing one of the above effects, just a thought.

• Like 2

After about another 10 hours of dive time and quite a bit of self frustration with learning how to do things properly plus lots of trial and error, I have achieved the original goal set out to accomplish over the weekend on this "could be" fish game: flip the fish, collision with other fish or eating the fish, add background changes, add music changes, add fish change placement, etc. While nothing you see here is final, finished, complete or polished, I did want to show a quick video of what I've managed to accomplish in such a very short period of time - and even though it isn't much, am really close to an actual playable game now - in the sense that you can eat fish, they will eat you and you can progress. With that said, all the graphic renders, music, sounds and voices are newly created specifically for this demo.

Running on real hardware:

Next in order to work on after the holidays would be: other fish or enemy fish capable of killing you, fine tuning the enemy fish placement/randomization and scaling, adding many more fish per level, figuring out the wonky audio issues, adding in-between bonus/boss stages, etc.

That demonstrates all the requires skills to make a nice game. Movement, working collision detection, and event driven interaction. Way to go! :)

• Like 2

I noticed that the jellyfish currently appear to be just part of the scenery and there is nothing wrong with that particularly if it is just going to be a demo/screen saver.

If you were to turn it into a game you could still keep the jellyfish as just scenery however, as thier stings are know to cause a form of muscle cramping/paralysis then in case it has not already occurred to you that could be added as an consequence of contacting them, i.e. make any fish that contacts them either...

a) unable to move for a few seconds afterwards

b) move more slowly for a few seconds afterwards or

c) causes the fish to turn upside down for a period of time afterwards during which its directions are the opposite to the normal

you could use just one of the above, or a combination either using the different effects for different levels to increase difficulty or as 3 types of randomly appearing jellyfish with each type causing one of the above effects, just a thought.

Yeah, I just didn't have the time to set it up yet. Enemies killing or otherwise affecting the player is part of the next step post holiday and I like your ideas for the jelly!

• Like 2

Nice :)The music goes slightly off-key when you eat a fish -- you may be using a bit too much bus bandwidth during this part (even if it sounds a bit strange since there aren't that many sprites on screen).

Most definitely my fault, I've got it completely butchered but plan to fix it / figure it out. I've had like 35 fish moving onscreen to full blown music with zero issues so it's most likely not the Jag being incapable. I just ran out of time with everything else I wanted to do but it's on the list.

• Like 3

Hey man, if this gets a fun scoring system and plays like Shark! Shark! I'd be down.

Definitely should be in line with the likes of Shark! Shark! / Fishy plus a little more content to it but currently am opposed to a scoring system for various reasons. Mostly since it'll be more along the lines of a game you can beat and not just an endless fish eating swimming contest until you die, although I can see the appeal or desire in wanting a high score in place as well, it's just not going to happen and not out of laziness. I'm working on a 1-level, 2-wave playable demo with a little more purpose and polish. Will post for everyone to try out and give feedback (whenever it's ready) and then go from there.

Edited by Clint Thompson
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

VirtualJaguar is bundled with it.

I had assumed that VJ's emulation quality was too shitty to test homebrew with since, if the emulation itself it buggy, how can you debug your code and figure out if it's you or the emulator? Then I realized that it's been many, many years since I last fired up VJ and it's probably much improved since then.

What is rB+ actually? Just a means of writing simplified code that converts into and accesses deeper Jag assembly functions? Is there a list of completed games that were created with it? The only games that I know were created with rB+ were made within the past year by a developer of, let's say, dubious quality. I'd like to see some good examples of rB+ games.

• Like 1

I had assumed that VJ's emulation quality was too shitty to test homebrew with since, if the emulation itself it buggy, how can you debug your code and figure out if it's you or the emulator? Then I realized that it's been many, many years since I last fired up VJ and it's probably much improved since then.

What is rB+ actually? Just a means of writing simplified code that converts into and accesses deeper Jag assembly functions? Is there a list of completed games that were created with it? The only games that I know were created with rB+ were made within the past year by a developer of, let's say, dubious quality. I'd like to see some good examples of rB+ games.

Here is the full list of games completed using rB+

Fast Food 64

Frogz 64

A Frogz 64 Christmas

Astrostorm

You should make one. Make it great ;) make Jaguar great again.

Is there a list of completed games that were created with it? The only games that I know were created with rB+ were made within the past year by a developer of, let's say, dubious quality. I'd like to see some good examples of rB+ games.

Check the following links out for info on rB+ projects - there are a few more, but this will get you started.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247114-raptor-basic-is-one-year-today-a-retrospective/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/241247-wip-%ce%bcfly/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242697-wip-boingy-uppy/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/241983-new-prototype-driving-thing/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247930-wip-ants/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/243746-wip-kaboom/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/271608-my-start-with-rb-barbarian-project-need-help/

VJ emulation is certainly up to the task these days. It's not perfect, but it is getting there.

• Like 2