IGNORED

ATX Case that looks like an Apple II on Indiegogo

JamesD

I have to confess some level of envy of a few of these YouTubers. I think, "I know this stuff, I could do videos like this," but then something keeps me tied to my "day job" and other hobbies which preclude the time for such videos. That and I long ago somehow set up some weird self-filter which prevents me from making a spectacle of myself -- at least on purpose. Or my fun bone atrophied. Whichever. :)

• Like 1

for me its time and mumbling

time wise I know when I work from home the sheer presence of me being here is a distraction IE the kid knowing daddy is home and the wife forgetting "I dont have the day off I am here to slam out 8 technical reports "distraction free"

and I mumble ... that one is pretty self explanatory, but example

• 2 months later...

Has the project officially been outed as a scam?

-Thom

There are lots of complaints on indiegogo, but indiegogo is slow to do anything to help people that have been scammed, so don't expect anything from them to make it official.

why do people promote this ignorant twat ... actually watch his video's its just like 15 year old noob's day one in 8 bit computers

I am glad I am not alone in noticing that there is something a little off about the 8bit guy. Not enough to get really pissed about or anything, but the fact that he was not born or really young when the 8 bit computers he is talking about were released might be an explanation for his noob like behavior. For example, when he says that he has never heard the term eaten by a Grue, or that he is interested in playing some game called ADVENTURE for the Atari 2600 because it was featured in the book/movie Ready Player One..... you can not help but think he was nothing more than a fart in the wind in 1978. None of this is a crime, and I could frankly care less, but it is amusing to see how much acting really goes on in these tech channels. I suspect his gun channel and iMac channel were not making enough money and the 8 bit guy just cashed in on the 80s nostalgia thing which is popular now rather than create another 90s Angry Video Nerd Sega/Nintendo/PC fan boy channel which would fit more with his age. I still subscribe to his channel, and overall I find it entertaining, but IMHO ...he is as phony as a 3 dollar bill. Edited by polyex

Not that I am defending David, or anything...

but, there ARE younger members of the vintage computing community that are extremely knowledgeable and do their due diligence, I am one of them.

I am 40, but I came from an unusual household, when I was born, Dad had a PDP-11/45 in the garage running various bits of software, a TRS-80 Model I, and an IMSAI..not long after, he bought an Atari 800, and it became the first computer I learned to both program, and tinker with its hardware. My father and I spent the next 25 years doing the same to hundreds of machines, learning them from top to bottom...and it has made me a sort of weird compendium of vintage machine knowledge.

-Thom

I'm not sure why age suddenly has anything to do with anything.

There was a whole other stink where the 8 bit guy said he never heard of many games when reviewing the C64 mini and said it was a negative. The problem was that the games were in fact well known, but by him not having actually used the machine until well after the C64 had lost its popularity he did not know that. Many people in the comments felt that he should not be giving negative reviews on retro products when he does not know what he is talking about. As the above post stated, his age might explain the "8-bit guy"''s lack of knowledge about things that should be obvious to someone who actually used these machines in the 80's.

Edited by polyex

Not that I am defending David, or anything...

but, there ARE younger members of the vintage computing community that are extremely knowledgeable and do their due diligence, I am one of them.

I am 40, but I came from an unusual household, when I was born, Dad had a PDP-11/45 in the garage running various bits of software, a TRS-80 Model I, and an IMSAI..not long after, he bought an Atari 800, and it became the first computer I learned to both program, and tinker with its hardware. My father and I spent the next 25 years doing the same to hundreds of machines, learning them from top to bottom...and it has made me a sort of weird compendium of vintage machine knowledge.

-Thom

Your nerd cred seems solid. :)

As the above post stated, his age might explain the "8-bit guy"''s lack of knowledge about things that should be obvious to someone who actually used these machines in the 80's.

I did actually use a Commodore 64 in the 80's.

My best friend had one. I had an Atari 800XL. We'd play over at his place some days, and at mine on others. We'd play Thing on a Spring, International Soccer, Impossible Mission, The Dambusters, Beach Head, Entombed and many others. And I don't know about one third of the titles on the C64 Mini.

As for "The 8bit guy", I have found his videos both entertaining, nostalgic and at times very useful. His video on diagnosing a faulty VIC20 using logic probes was very informative. And yes it was obvious from the moment of power on that RAM was the issue. That's not the point. He used it to demonstrate how to check a number of components in a clear and simple fashion.

I see a lot of videos on YT, from cooking, to home repairs, car maintenance, to retro stuff, that start with a shaking camera that's out of focus and a narration that's barely audible. There not even worth the 5 second ad you just had to sit through.

Doesn't matter how much of an expert you think you are. If you hide it so well you're no use to anyone.

Edited by oracle_jedi