IGNORED

Intellivision Game Sighting in 'The Last Jedi'

Bill246

The thought crossed my mind while watching the movie and while I don't care for that game, it is a stretch to say it's a true INTV sighting.

By the subject heading, I was expecting to see and was looking out for some Intellivision game on a little monitor somewhere as part of a backdrop. lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

what? why?

shot0002.gif

definately it would be great if there would be a real reference.

Because they blew it up in the previous movie, so there wasn't a planet destroying weapon in this movie.

It seems like the two dreadnoughts in this movie do not have the same fire power as the Inty version do (to destroy a planet)

We'll need to wait and see if they make yet a fourth version of the Death Star for the last movie

• Like 1

I finally got to see this movie last night with my lady and I immediately thought of this thread when a certain scene came up in the beginning. There's definitely a couple of scenes that reminded of Inty games in there though.. Lol. Anyways, It was a great movie, best one I've seen in a long time! Might need to go see it in 3D next. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

If you haven't seen the movie yet, you may not want to read this, although I'm really not revealing anything that hasn't been discussed already.

I finally saw it today. Seems to me that someone on the production team must have played DF back in the day. Obviously, Activision didn't invent the word or idea of a dreadnaught...

"a type of battleship armed with heavy-caliber guns in turrets: so called from the British battleship Dreadnought, launched in 1906, the first of its type"

...but there are definite parallels to the Intellivision game; a lone fighter taking out gun emplacements, and the need to bomb it in a specific location to destroy it.

I do wonder if there was some sort of license worked out with Activision on this? Probably unlikely, as Keith used to say most of the folks at Activision now days don't even realize it was one of their properties.

One thing I did notice...

In the scene where they discuss taking out the hyperspace tracker, in the little display / visual they are looking at, there was a sound which to my ears WAS the sound of your ship firing in DF. I'd have to hear it again to be sure, but these ears are pretty tuned in to Inty sounds.

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette

Finally saw it. I think you guys are reading a bit too much into it. Strikes me as more coincidence than anything.

I'm more surprised that people aren't bitching that it's yet another Death Star thingy. Small ships, flying in close, avoiding cannon fire, to hit a weak point and utterly destroy the Big Bad. *I* don't see it that way, but given the number of people who think Force Awakens is a 1:1 clone of ANH, people manage to find the most tenuous connections to complain about and I'm surprised I haven't heard this one yet.

Pretty damned good movie, albeit a bit padded and suffered from inconsistent pacing in the first half. Best Star Wars movie since 1980 - but goddamn, would I like to see a modern movie, with today's effects and production values, but with 1980s-era pacing, runtime, and a much more limited principal cast. Blockbuster movies are really suffering from trying to compete with the 6-16 hour epics that have consumed Netflix/HBO.

• Like 1