IGNORED

Behold the "Bumble" NES to Famicom adapter

Dripfree

Well a little while back I finally came across a Famicom adapter but I needed a case for it. I 3d print so the solution was simple. Unhappy with what Thingaverse had to offer I designed my own. It is clearly inspired by the honeybee, and the game genie for the handle. I would like to offer it to anyone in this group who 3d prints to do with as you please. I hope you enjoy!

Edit:

The image with Super Mario Bros. 3 is inaccurate. The label should be facing down to work. I'm not sure why I did that for the picture. I know better then that. :(

Also if you download you will notice 2 versions of the top and bottom. One with support and one without. Support should not be necessary, but I was having issues with the part flexing during the print and it would come out warped. I added a sort of scaffold to the parts to prevent this. I believe this issue was due to old filament and high humidity in my area. I would recommend trying the files without support first and if you encounter issues try the other with support. In either case have your slicer set for no support because the support is built into the piece.

post-33349-0-52076400-1513563716_thumb.jpg

post-33349-0-67029500-1513563816_thumb.jpg

post-33349-0-53264900-1513563947_thumb.jpg

post-33349-0-52270300-1513564065_thumb.jpg

post-33349-0-93121600-1513564156_thumb.jpg

Bumble stl.zip

Edited by Dripfree
  • Like 2

This is such a great idea! It looks really nice.

Which program did you use for the 3D design?

Autodesk 123d. It's free software but it's sadly no longer supported. It's very powerful and simple if your a novice. I still use it to whip up something very quickly. Now I mainly use Autodesk fusion, and inventor. That software is much more powerful with a little bit of a steeper learning curve.

I wouldn't know how to figure that up. I might modify the .stl on the handle and backside of the case. Where the screws go in the handle, that part is breaking off.

I used a little crazy glue to hold the handle on and the put the screws in. That way the screws are going into a big hunk of plastic and not just the little posts.

So no idea on the price.

Not quite sure what your asking. If your wondering how much it cost me to make, well that's hard to quantify with 3d printed items. The plastic used cost me less than a dollar. But I did pay $600 for the printer a few years ago. Once you factor in power, time to design, time to print, and so on well than it's probably actually kind of expensive. But it's a hobby.

If you were asking how much to make you one, I'm sorry but I just don't have the time to make and sell, neither does my printer it's always working as it is.

Pretty sure he just wanted to know how much it cost in materials. So basically a $1 for the plastic. How long does the printer take to make this item?

No I was asking cost to me. Not him. I need a case. So I was wondering what it would cost. But he said he does not have time so that is fine. I also found this. But its also very expensive.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:387953

I would happily buy a 3rd party converter. But the 3rd party ones are not 100% compatible with whole nes library.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:387953

I would happily buy a 3rd party converter. But the 3rd party ones are not 100% compatible with whole nes library.

That one does work, but I feel it needs a handle if your using the frontloader. I printed that first, but when you grab your game out it often stays in, and its still hard to grab in the first place because the game and the adapter are smaller than an nes game. That's why I made this one.

I'm currently printing a full scale r2d2 so my printer is tied up for months or else I would do a run. 3d printing is cool but there are definitely more hackish solutions out there. This is not my work but if I didn't print this is likely the method I would have used. I've used methods similar in the past for other projects. Honestly it's going to work as good as a printed case. A printed case may look better but it still doesn't look like a production product. A printed case is only slightly less hackish.

https://youtu.be/svl8ooVgqhY