IGNORED

Book?

Do you want to see this as a book?  

238 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see this as a book?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I just downloaded the PDF, but yes, I would drool over a hard copy . . . Be much easier to follow along to while actually coding . . .

Someday, 2600 Bullfight will happen . . . And probably a lot of others from my arcade-convo list in the main 2600 forum . . . And a less cutesy Benji hack that might interest people . . .

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think a book would be a nice thing to have, but online PDFs would be more feasible, I think. Publishers aren't necessarily going to be warm to the idea of a book for programming an extremely obselete piece of equipment, and then factor in the widely dispersed and limited consumer base... = expensive.

• 4 weeks later...

if the book idea for the programing 2600 for beginers is still good I would recomend cafepress.com to puiblish it.

you can use it's free service to publish it ( you can make a color cover, but the pages will be in b/w) just ask greg george about it he uses it for the atari times. (I'm using it for the VGS program as well as the final jagfest issue (plus I'll be adding other issues to it all)

their print rates are about the same of Office Depot ( .09 cents doublesided self serve) the only high charge is the binding (5.00 for wire binding and 4 for saddle sitch staples).

the jagfest final issue base price is actually 7.97 (2.97 for the print job and 5.00 for the wire binding) I would love to set up a shop just for the book but it's not up to me it's up to an drew after all he's the man who started the programing newsbies. If he gave me the ok and make a good color cover I would be glad to either set up a new shop just for the bookor add it to the AVC newstand (and just charge the base price so I won't get any commission on the sale)

• 3 weeks later...
their print rates are about the same of Office Depot ( .09 cents doublesided self serve) the only high charge is the binding (5.00 for wire binding and 4 for saddle sitch staples).

the jagfest final issue base price is actually 7.97 (2.97 for the print job and 5.00 for the wire binding) I would love to set up a shop just for the book but it's not up to me it's up to an drew after all he's the man who started the programing newsbies. If he gave me the ok and make a good color cover I would be glad to either set up a new shop just for the bookor add it to the AVC newstand (and just charge the base price so I won't get any commission on the sale)

just currious if andrew(or anybody else) wants me to go through with this.

or if anybody besides me wan ts to give it a shot to make this book.

Excellent! Any chance of updating this with Session 24 and possibly the assembly tutorials by Robert M? It would be very cool to have those included as an appendix, or perhaps a separate, single PDF.

• 5 months later...

Yes yes yes yes and yes! By the way did I say yes?! Turn it into a book.. put in lots of examples.. maybe a CD with binaries or something on it.. maybe some sample sounds you can use or a sample game you can expand upon. Put a coupon in the book you can enter a contest to design a game or something..

I think a book would be a nice thing to have, but online PDFs would be more feasible, I think. Publishers aren't necessarily going to be warm to the idea of a book for programming an extremely obselete piece of equipment, and then factor in the widely dispersed and limited consumer base... = expensive.

Not necessarily. The Tyne and Wear Atari User Group produced a two-volume 'update' to Mapping the Atari a few years ago (entitled 'The Complete and Essential Map'). I think it cost £24.95 at the time. As far as I recall, they did the printing and layout themselves (there was some layout issues, though) but had it ring bound externally. They used a dot matrix (probably 24-pin) by the looks of it, which meant that it would be cheaper to produce than with an inkjet.

I think they limited it to 150 copies at that price.

If anyone has a laser printer then self-printing wouldn't be out of the question.

Hmmm ... what to call it, though?

Atari 2600 Programming for Morons? :D

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I couldn't seem to access the latest PDF from that website.

Maybe some of you will find this Word document form useful. I have attached it.

Note that I corrected some spelling errors and changed spellings from UK to US because UK spelling distracts me.

I also embedded some images (but not as many as the old PDF had).

Feel free to do whatever you want with it.

Thanks for writing the tutorial.

I voted "yes" for a hardcopy, by the way. If it gets printed, I will buy it.

Atari2600ProgrammingForNewbies.doc

• 2 months later...
I couldn't seem to access the latest PDF from that website.

Maybe some of you will find this Word document form useful. I have attached it.

Note that I corrected some spelling errors and changed spellings from UK to US because UK spelling distracts me.

I also embedded some images (but not as many as the old PDF had).

Feel free to do whatever you want with it.

Thanks for writing the tutorial.

I voted "yes" for a hardcopy, by the way. If it gets printed, I will buy it.

First thing I suggest everyone do is change the spelling back to the way it was meant to be.

Cheers

A

• 4 weeks later...

I would rather see this go through a traditional publisher. I can think of a few that might be interested. Even if you need to be repped by a literary agent like I did just to get through the right doors, I don't think it would be all that hard if it were written in a suitable manner (based on the publisher's needs/standards). It really isn't that difficult of a process and should at least be explored as option one before going the vanity publishing/POD route, which is a fine second option.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...