IGNORED

Book?

Do you want to see this as a book?  

238 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see this as a book?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/atari-2600-programming-for-newbies/10211870

I'm going to take an editing pass on it, lots of things are stupid. I didn't put in page numbers, for instance. :D

I'm also going to have to fix a lot of margin errors. Does anyone know if

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=85135

is the newest version from Andrew's text files?

Dan, it's free to sign up. They do let you do color, but as far as I can tell you have to go all color or all b/w for an entire book. I've got a couple books at our office that we printed with lulu and the quality is *very* high. You can do hardcover if you like, I'm going for just a regular 'softcover textbook' feel with the work I'm doing.

The best technical books out there are O'Reilly in my opinion, so I'm aping their style and layout as much as possible.

Working on a new "beta" version tonight, I'll let you guys know when it's up. The last one was 6x9 which is more of a trade paper "fiction" layout, I'm doing the next revision at 7.4x9.6 which is more like a paperback textbook.

Dan, it's free to sign up. They do let you do color, but as far as I can tell you have to go all color or all b/w for an entire book. I've got a couple books at our office that we printed with lulu and the quality is *very* high. You can do hardcover if you like, I'm going for just a regular 'softcover textbook' feel with the work I'm doing.

The best technical books out there are O'Reilly in my opinion, so I'm aping their style and layout as much as possible.

Working on a new "beta" version tonight, I'll let you guys know when it's up. The last one was 6x9 which is more of a trade paper "fiction" layout, I'm doing the next revision at 7.4x9.6 which is more like a paperback textbook.

thanks for the information, Isaw that they do color books and figured maybe that would be good for the Jagfest book I'm working on.

(I saw that they E-books might be using that for my new zine I'm planning to do)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Heh, wow. Real life happened and I haven't gotten back to it.

I did get the copy back from them, it's really good quality. It's immediately obvious that I'll need to do a lot more formatting and content changing, though. I'll see what I can get done this weekend and update you guys again.

Excited that there's interest!

- John

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Yep. I stumbled on the lulu link and much to my surprise saw a book available with my name as the author! How could I resist buying a copy?

It arrived a couple of days ago. Firstly, the binding and printing is exceptionally nice. It's a real book, done as well as I could have wished. As to the content; well that obviously needs a bit of work :) It's really just a bound copy of the tutorials, with a little editing. There are issues with the pictures bing the wrong orientation (cut off on the edge of the page) and a lot of repeats of the text (my fault!). But, you know, it's very readable -- MUCH more so than reading on the tutorial/forum pages. I'm almost tempted to work on it more, and make it a really top notich coherent "book" rather than compilation of tutorials.

But, having said that -- it is what it is, and as far as that goes it's cheap, well printed, and an excellent way to have all those tutorials in the one place.

I can't believe I wrote enough to fill an actual book book. It's well worth the money, IMHO.

Cheers

A

• 3 months later...

This is something I have put more and more thought into learning about. I don't know how far I'll go with it, but I have done some programming in the past and would like to know enough about programming for the 2600 not to be lost when people are talking about it.

Has anything been done with this since the last link to Lulu? Is that book on Lulu the same stuff as the PDF files linked in this thread? I have been reading that some, but would like to have it printed and bound if that is out there. I guess I'm asking for one post with the updates in it. It is a bit of a challenge to keep up with what is the most recent update through this thread. If anyone could help out I would love to alteast read about this.

From a newbies point of view, the sessions are informative but not instructive. I'd prefer to be guided through what tools to download and how to install them. Then each chapter could give me a project (or part of a bigger project) to work through as the text explains concepts that are needed. Basically, in order to buy into a book I'd have to feel *I* accomplished something each session.

From a newbies point of view, the sessions are informative but not instructive. I'd prefer to be guided through what tools to download and how to install them. Then each chapter could give me a project (or part of a bigger project) to work through as the text explains concepts that are needed. Basically, in order to buy into a book I'd have to feel *I* accomplished something each session.

Agreed.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...