IGNORED

Pitfall ll Questions?

rjchamp3

I hear there is a Piece of Gold that cannot be Obtained due to a glitch in the game, we all know the game maxes at 199k BUT where is this gold located?

trying to hack to see what happens when obtained.

Also Im trying to make the RAT smaller BUT I cannot see it in the code?

Is this game special encryption?

I hear there is a Piece of Gold that cannot be Obtained due to a glitch in the game, we all know the game maxes at 199k BUT where is this gold located?

trying to hack to see what happens when obtained.

Also Im trying to make the RAT smaller BUT I cannot see it in the code?

Is this game special encryption?

Every goldbar in this game can be reached.

Check out the map on this page:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-pitfall-ii-lost-caverns_11583.html

Why would you make the rat smaller?

So you can jump over it while it runs towards you?

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

199K is pretty easy to get as long as you're patient. The patterns are easy and it's just a matter of taking your time. All the gold bars are pretty easy to find save one or two where you had to do blind jumps off the ledge of a cliff to another. I've done it on the 2600, 8-bit, and IBM PCjr versions.

Now the second quest, that's a whole different story. I'd love to meet the person who gets a perfect score for that.

• Like 1

There might be one on the extended version of the game, but not the 2600 version. The "perfect score" is still elusive to me, though I've collected everything in it (dang endurance run at the end, bats, vultures, AND scorpions everywhere)

Though if you drop down early, you cannot acquire the gold bar at the end of the starting level, as there is no way to get back up.

Though if you drop down early, you cannot acquire the gold bar at the end of the starting level, as there is no way to get back up.

Yeah there are two points of no return. The first one is dropping down from the starting level and the second is going down the waterfall. I believe you can get back to any of the other places in the cave,

199K is pretty easy to get as long as you're patient. The patterns are easy and it's just a matter of taking your time. All the gold bars are pretty easy to find save one or two where you had to do blind jumps off the ledge of a cliff to another. I've done it on the 2600, 8-bit, and IBM PCjr versions.

Now the second quest, that's a whole different story. I'd love to meet the person who gets a perfect score for that.

Bah, don't berate one of my proudest achievements! :P

Can you jump over the rat from the left?

Not without catching the rat.

I think the rumor of the 'extra gold bar' is created by the fact that the first gold bar in the water (on the fourth screen in the game) can be reached at the beginning of the game (after you've found the first gold bar on the far right in the forest) OR at the end of the game (after you've caught the rat and jump in the water).

There are 28 gold bars in total.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Not without catching the rat.

I think the rumor of the 'extra gold bar' is created by the fact that the first gold bar in the water (on the fourth screen in the game) can be reached at the beginning of the game (after you've found the first gold bar on the far right in the forest) OR at the end of the game (after you've caught the rat and jump in the water).

Actually it never occurred to me that you can get back to the first point of no return by going right of the rat. You still can't get back to the top though.

Yes, it's only that one gold bar at the very top right at the start of the game that is impossible to get back to later in the game, IF your trying to get a perfect SCORE. (word games are key here)

Reason being, it IS still possible to get it even after you have already fallen from that top area, if all your after is a perfect GAME. (if defined as getting every item; score withstanding)

Because, and I used to do this back when I was still a kid, if you jump over the red checkpoint crosses & never touch them, when you die, you regenerate back at the very top again. Whereby, accessing the "inaccesible area" as often as you like.