IGNORED

Modify built in games

Hi,

I got a second AFB 2017 just to tinker as the first one I bought is technically for my son but I will likely play it more.

Anyway so has anyone used the android SDK with adb to figure out how to replace the built-in games and the icons ? Can one easily add more built-in connections? So do I need to very cautious as the AFB is the first Monkey King based console while all the other AT devices are Titan based? I saw the AT Genesis modification video to add/change built in games and it seems very straightforward and not dependent in any way to the architecture or the Android OS. Just looks like I need to update the ini, copy the ROMs/png and follow the correct file naming convention.

My initial goal is to say add 2600 space invaders, add arcade space invaders, add Pitfall trainer, change the PACMAN to the latest 8K, remove the paddle games that are unplayable and likely many more roms to the built-in list.

BTW I'm bit knowledgeable on embedded system as a decade ago I did embedded controller development and testing including custom embedded Linux builds for ARM, PPC and MIPS architectures. I'm also a linux user since '97 and have built many custom linux distributions in that were and currently in embedded products.

Edited by thetick1

• 3 weeks later...

I have been meaning to post this for awhile now. Anyway I'm finally getting around to post it.

So I'm out of luck as I'm unable to connect to the AFP 2017. I'm using the universal ADB drivers that have worked for my 3 different android phones and 3 different android tablets It just appears to me the AFP 2017 is not android based or not enabled for USB debugging ?

Anyone have any advice or ideas how to connect to the AFP 2017 ?

Below is the link to the ADB drivers I tried that have worked with all my devices from Google, Motorola, RCA and two different generic Chinese tables.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/android-wont-connect-windows-adb-fix-it-three-steps

I'm a former embedded systems design engineer long before android back when we built our own custom RTOS or linux OSes.

Edited by thetick1

• 4 weeks later...

Correct. I believe making some type of hackability for the 2018 versions of the hardware might be in the cards, but it's still too early to tell.

So, AtGames supports us hobbyists (tinkering with the hardware/software)? If so, that's awesome and really helps my view of the company. I was kinda concerned that us modifying the HD models might result in them taking more measures to prohibit us from doing it.

So, AtGames supports us hobbyists (tinkering with the hardware/software)? If so, that's awesome and really helps my view of the company. I was kinda concerned that us modifying the HD models might result in them taking more measures to prohibit us from doing it.

As you can imagine, it's a balancing act. On the one hand, the main audience is and will likely always be the mainstream, casual consumer. For them, it just needs to work and in a way that they can't ever mess it up. Then of course there's the core consumer who's sophisticated enough to flash their own firmware, etc. While it's not a given at this early stage, there does seem to be the opportunity for the latter in the coming 2018 products, and in a way that will be simple and straightforward, i.e., just putting an update file on an SD card. That will also of course help to fix any missed bugs or any notable compatibility issues (the latter of which should be eliminated for the most part on at least some of the products because of a switch in emulation).

• Like 1

As you can imagine, it's a balancing act. On the one hand, the main audience is and will likely always be the mainstream, casual consumer. For them, it just needs to work and in a way that they can't ever mess it up. Then of course there's the core consumer who's sophisticated enough to flash their own firmware, etc.

I can understand that and I'm rather pleasantly surprised of ANY willingness to cater to those of us who really like to tinker. Well... VERY pleasantly surprised. I have been messing around inside mine quite a bit and was hesitant to post much about it because I don't want to cause anyone to mess theirs up and I also don't want to "disrespect" AtGames, even if that sounds strange.

While it's not a given at this early stage, there does seem to be the opportunity for the latter in the coming 2018 products, and in a way that will be simple and straightforward, i.e., just putting an update file on an SD card.

Again, that's great news. The AtGames rep I spoke with at PRGE seemed pretty certain that SD card functionality would be included in 2018. I almost held off until next year, but decided to take the plunge (again) and get the Activision Edition. BTW, remember the PAL roms I spoke of a while back? Well, I was able to "fix" that issue by replacing those roms with the NTSC ones. I also added quite a few other favorites as well. :) Oh, and I've replaced most of the boxarts with sharper ones that I've cleaned up...Not that the ones on there are bad.

...That will also of course help to fix any missed bugs or any notable compatibility issues (the latter of which should be eliminated for the most part on at least some of the products because of a switch in emulation).

Now, THAT'S truly great news. The one thing I'm really wanting to see done with both the Atari and Sega Flashbacks is better emulation. While I'm quite pleased with both of mine as they now are, (with some added games), trying out other games has really exposed weaknesses in the emulation. Don't get me wrong, it seems fine for the games that were included, but if we're able to play more off an SD card, it would definitely benefit from better emus... dare I even dream of Stella?

Edited by KevinMos3