IGNORED

So worried about SNES reliability.

So essentially Goldleaders advice is still the correct one - don't worry about it. If it dies, replace it and hopefully you get the better model next time or get a SNES jr and don't worry about guessing or get a clone console of some kind. Of course no console is 100% reliable but from the sample size I've seen over the years the SNES has been pretty reliable. I'm sure there's an echo chamber somewhere on the internet that obsesses over this stuff and a few others that add, rinse, and repeat it all to make it seem like a bigger problem than it is, and I'm sure it is a real problem but I don't think it's as big as people are suggesting. For that you'd need numbers for how many of the bad chip units exist versus the non-bad chip unit. If, lets say, 50% of SNES's out there were ones with bad chips I'm sure there'd be a lot more talk about it but this topic is the first I've heard of it. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist but in all my years here and on the internet and gaming forums I haven't heard any talk about SNES reliability problems until this thread.

• Like 5

Yeah, this is the first I've heard of this as well.

"All signs point to nope" just your signs?

SNES is one of the most popular and collected consoles ever. If SNES consoles were dropping like flies we should be seeing numerous reports all over the interwebs about this.

Instead what I see is two people feeding into their own hysteria over what is essentially a non-issue.

• Like 2

Yeah, this is the first I've heard of this as well.

"All signs point to nope" just your signs?

SNES is one of the most popular and collected consoles ever. If SNES consoles were dropping like flies we should be seeing numerous reports all over the interwebs about this.

Instead what I see is two people feeding into their own hysteria over what is essentially a non-issue.

They're reported all over the web, the fact that I have 4 dead systems, of which one is a SFC from Japan, one from the local game shop, one my sister bought years ago, and one from when it was brand new and stored in it's original packaging all have the same "light goes on, black screen" is 80% failure rate from trying to buy one without any information about it's internals. The working one I got of eBay. The SFC I got off eBay died the first day it was powered up. I would not be willing to buy another 5 to get another working one when they go for 75$.

I've asked this very question at the local game store(s) in the past, and when it comes to bad or dead consoles the SNES has NEVER come up and we're talking about stores that over the years have bought and sold several dozen of SNES consoles over the years. I've heard of people having bad luck, but it's just that - bad luck. At this point, if these particular units are so bad you'd think they'd all have died by now and the ones that remain will still be fine for the most part. If they're still going why think they will die in the future - they may be fine. Isn't it also possible that a certain run of a certain chip, a bad batch from a six month period for example, could have been bad but it doesn't mean that every chip from that particular model of SNES is bad.

• Like 2

fear-is-the-mindkiller.jpg

DUNE! Classic!

And don't forget the Fear Factory!

Fear-Is-The-Mindkiller-fear-factory-2824

keep-calm-fear-is-the-mind-killer.jpg

BTW I have no doubt there are SNESs that have failed...I'm not denying any of your personal experiences...I've just never had a problem myself, nor known anyone personally in my circle of friends who has had one fail. Again my advice is buy a nice power supply with surge protection, and if need be, buy a spare or just cross that bridge later...

PEACE!!

e18d7a32581be7ba1da0f2d15fc9e5d0.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Necro Bump

I have an APU-01 and and RGB-02 model.  Video output-wise, are these two models basically the same?  I'm using RGB.

I had put my APU model in storage because the last time I used it I thought it had died (powered on but no picture), but when I pulled it out today it was working just fine.  Not sure if I was just mistaken the last time or there's a flaky part thats causing intermittent issues.