IGNORED

Wanted Apple IIgs Transwarp Card

Killjoyy27

Wasn't someone going to do a reproduction card at some point? What ever happened to that?

I'd ask on the Facebook page, they pop up from time to time in the $600 range depending on speed. Personally if money is no object I'd hold out for a ZipChip GS.

They did do a repro card and the cost was $777.77, I think 10 were made :) Usually I see the Transwarps go for $600-$700 depending on whether the owner can prove functionality (passing all tests in the self check).

Good luck finding one. Took me quite a while. I think the general consensus is that when you finally obtain one you generally do not part with it :)

Edited by eightbit

I think the general consensus is that when you finally obtain one you generally do not part with it :)

Yeah that's the problem, no one is generally willing to part with one unless they're selling their IIGS collection. They're almost required to play some games.

I'm sure an affordable clone will be made eventually. It's just a matter of time. The demand far outstrips the supply.

Yeah that's the problem, no one is generally willing to part with one unless they're selling their IIGS collection. They're almost required to play some games.

I'm sure an affordable clone will be made eventually. It's just a matter of time. The demand far outstrips the supply.

Even games that I thought were playable before the Transwarp weren't really. Until I tried them with the Transwarp (Rastan and Zany Golf come to mind) which was when I found that these games really do play normally. I am convinced that most IIGS game devs were coding their games on IIGS's that were already accelerated. You don't even need to go crazy with the speed. A 7MHz Transwarp allows the computer to function perfectly. Nice and speedy and everything works as you would expect a machine from the era to function. Without it...ehh. Apple's decision to cripple the IIGS was its downfall for sure.

As for clones, it is a tricky thing because I don't think an affordable accelerator can be made due to how complex it is to accelerate the IIGS. I mean, I can see them being cloned and coming down in price, but I think the price will still be more than what the casual IIGS owner will want to pay. You just never know how many you will sell. I guess starting in very small batches and getting people on want lists would be the way to go. Sometimes I see a Transwarp snapped up on ebay for $800 in a matter of hours. Some other times one sits for $700 BIN on ebay for a week or more.