IGNORED

Limbo on a C64

Jetboot Jack

Mr. Tick, your abrasive... I am in the USA and have been all over the place... there were enclaves where NO ONE knew of Commodore or Atari or COCO or etc etc etc... and more people I run into today know the Atari name over the Commodore... that's fact... and I am sorry if that bothers you. Your tone and demeanor is not coming off very nice. All large department stores did not sell Commodore nor did they all sell Atari... your not being rational... me thinks your Commodore crazy and that's fine. We all love are respective machines...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

There is no need to turn this Thread into a Commodore vs Atari forum. I have multiple Atari consoles as well as the Vic20 and Commodore 64, all great gaming machines with tons of games. I can appreciate any new game for a classic console or classic computer. For the sake of the search later concur with earlier recommendation of Moderator moving this thread to the Classic Computer section that includes Commodore.

No - keep it here it’s meant to be here.

It’s NOT about limbo on the C64, it’s about new games on old hardware, and I meant to spark discussion of the potential on the A8 to do such.

The C64 has seen a number of modern games on that platform - Canabalt, Hexagon etc

Worth a discussion in the very least IMHO...

sTeVE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Did you have your daily garlic pills already?

We say, we want to have it on the A8, You answer "if you don't like what I post, go away" ... ?

more like this "Bloody hell you are all a bunch of curmudgeons - lighten up, if this idea is not for you move on...

Otherwise think “how cool” a new game for my old computer :-) "

Now I understand , we all should feel driven to say "how cool a new game for JetBoot Jack's old computer" ... ;)

Just stop it - you are behaving like a d!ck..

What on Earth do you mean “Now I understand , we all should feel driven to say "how cool a new game for JetBoot Jack's old computer" - you have read nothing I wrote..

You do nothing constructive unless you start these type of conversations you just flame the threads until they become filled with rubbish...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Just stop it - you are behaving like a d!ck..

What on Earth do you mean “Now I understand , we all should feel driven to say "how cool a new game for JetBoot Jack's old computer" - you have read nothing I wrote..

You do nothing constructive unless you start these type of conversations you just flame the threads until they become filled with rubbish...

One question: Is that a type of self protection, or else?

I only wrote that I'd rather prefer an Atari version and explained it a little.... then I already became a "curmudgeon" in you eyes...?... very interesting. Because then you turn the logic and tell people to have it as a template for ideas or else... turning things over .....

Such may work, if people talk together, and people don't really listen. But this doesn't work in a written communication.

We should simply face it... bigger retro platform C64 and thats why games get ported or ppl interested in...

So no need to blame him. Of course what we should do is

Make limbo aware that there are other platforms... so he does not exploit C64 to max so it gets impossible to port... like >128 chars etc

How about we just appaulde the fact there are still people out there doing great work like this...

We accept the fact many of us at 1 time or another owned both an Atari 8 bit computer and C64. .appreciated both for what they gave us, entertainment wise and then have a sensible chat about how this could be done, in theory on the Atari 8 bit hardware?.

I'm really not sure why so many threads these days have to degenerate into pointless squabbling, so quickly.

J.B.J brought this to our attention as it's a wonder to behold and for the purposes of discussion.

I say this as someone who loved Limbo in terms of it's art direction, but game itself wasn't for me.

• Like 3

I am a bit of a Limbo fan - I have to admit...

Finished it on four different platforms ?

I think there is a lot of value in seeing and appreciating the great work happening on the A8s contemporaries.

Although I have to say the A8 is not short of good new games, Bosconian is BRILLIANT and the recent Skool Daze port is amazing!

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack
  • Like 2

I've just started playing it in the last day. About 60% through (judging by timeline of a walkthrough video I downloaded).

It's a pretty good game. Some challenging puzzles and parts where skill and timing are important.

The parallax IMO doesn't seem critical to the gameplay. Adds to the atmosphere though and of course would be welcome on a retro version.

The hard things to reproduce - it zooms in and out in places. Not really critical to the gameplay, on retro systems you could either keep the same scale or redesign game elements to work in one scale.

Rotation - this would be the real hard part. There's minor rotation in places which could be left out but there's others where you hit switches or engage gears that rotate the entire screen and this is part of the gameplay.

Whatever approach is taken though it will be interesting to see a C64 version but like Canabalt and Prince of Persia really sad that Atari is missing out.

Yeah. sams journey is written for the C64 metal.... excellent engine and using the C64 tech.

Some say... and I have to agree as coder now on different 6502 platforms...

Jay Miners concept of 15 Antic modes were revolutionary 1978 and 256/128 colors. How many different hardware modes are in practiced used?

160x96 (best a8 mode imho)

160x192

Antic mode 2 and 3

Antic mode 4

But the rest of the pack?

Better would have been upgrading the chars limit and or more sprites. Or Antic being able to upgrade display lists ;)

Sprites cripples are on Amiga, too.

• Like 2

But the rest of the pack?

Due to conservative memory usage and somewhat quick full screen updates please do not forget the popularity of mode 6 and 7 (GR.1 & 2) in Basic programs.

(Not sure why you mentioned mode 3 - does it really have any relevance? Contrary to mode F which is IMHO very important!?)