IGNORED

Atari 1050 Drive Won't Spin

goldenegg

I just acquired a 130XL with a 1050 drive. Everything was apparently working before it was shipped to me. Unfortunately, USPS didn't handle the package well, resulting in a sizeable hole on the side of the box.

Perhaps due to the shock that caused that hole, the 1050 drive is not working. I turn on the drive, put in a disk, turn on the system and nothing happens. The drive doesn't even attempt to spin.

Any idea what might have happened? I've opened the drive and all the connections are in place.

The drive belt has probably either broken or fallen off. If it's not broken you can put it back on.

Do you at least still get a power light, and hear the initial seek when turned on?

Also check that it's set as drive #1.

Edited by Nezgar

with power off move head to middle of travel on rails... close drive latch with out disk in drive then turn on drive... what do you observe?

take multi meter and carefully measure voltage off of power transistors on big ole heat sink...

it it possible things shook apart during travel impact, wiggle all sockets chips and connectors...

any capacitor leakage?

Edited by _The Doctor__

with power off move head to middle of travel on rails... close drive latch with out disk in drive then turn on drive... what do you observe?

The drive does nothing when I do this.

take multi meter and carefully measure voltage off of power transistors on big ole heat sink...

Can't find my multi-meter at the moment, so I can't check this.

it it possible things shook apart during travel impact, wiggle all sockets chips and connectors...

I've disconnected and reconnected all the accessible connectors. I haven't removed the shield under the drive yet and not too familiar with what's under there.

any capacitor leakage?

None that I can see. The drive appears to be in very good condition. You can see pics here - https://imgur.com/a/Lwb4i

the chips and sockets to re seat are indeed under the shielding... The two diodes need to air cool and are bent too close together, could be the lighting but one has that over heated metal lead in look....

power light comes on but busy indicator does nothing at all?

A meter is more than likely going to be needed... a forum search on 1050's not working will shed light on just about everything that's happened with a 1050 and it's resolution...

The busy indicator does absolutely nothing. I'll remove the shielding tomorrow night and reseat the chips under there. I know where my multi-meter is, but I won't be able to get at it until the weekend. I'll need to look in to the best point to check on the board and what voltages I should be looking for.

Do you get BOOT ERROR on the Atari? Do you see/hear any difference of the Atari power-on with drive on vs off? (may hint at some kind of response from the drive)

I agree with voltage checking the 9V AC supply, as well as the output of the 5V and 12V regulators attached to the rear heat sink.

After reseating all the chips under the shield and still nothing, do you have another 1050 you can swap chips with? Namely the 6810 RAM chip.

Do you get BOOT ERROR on the Atari? Do you see/hear any difference of the Atari power-on with drive on vs off? (may hint at some kind of response from the drive)

I do get the boot error. There's definitely some communication happening between the computer and the drive, since the boot error occurs more frequently if I open the drive latch.

After reseating all the chips under the shield and still nothing, do you have another 1050 you can swap chips with? Namely the 6810 RAM chip.

I do, but that drive is in mint condition and I don't want to risk anything happening to those chips.

after you verify thos two diodes are still working...

70% of the time problems are with the 12V power supply cr15, cr16 and the caps try checking them and give em a reflow of solder (hot cold cycling can cause joint issues).

Almost all motor spin/fail to spin problems are 12V supply problems. Unless the controller has failed. also make sure the stepper motor and spindle motors are good.....

you can grab this one as well.... if you have the gear..

http://www.atarimania.com/documents/Atari_1050_Disk_Drive_Sams_Computerfacts_Technical_Service.pdf

Edited by _The Doctor__