IGNORED

I never thought I'd ever say this about my TI-99/4A hobby, but...

Omega-TI

Back in the 80's there were lot's of new things that came out for the TI on a regular basis. We were able to keep up with all the changes via the newsletters, magazines and BBS systems...

Over the decades things slowed down quite a bit... but now?

OMG people, what happened?! Lately there has been so much going on in the TI community, I seriously and honestly cannot keep up with it all! I log into AtariAge whenever I get a spare moment, but that does not seem like enough. We have multiple games being developed in TI BASIC, Extended BASIC, and assembly, we have programming enhancement packages and multiple telecommunications alternatives. We also have hardware quite literally exploding out of everywhere. Am I the only one starting to have problems keeping up with it all?

Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT complaining, but you gotta admit, for a classic computer, it's starting to become a wild ride.

• Like 3

lol, you're not the only one- but i'm trying to narrow my focus somewhat and follow topics that i have immediate interest in

in particular, i'm always interested to read about new .bins for my FG99 ;) I'm following the TIPi stuff and then reading up on Assembly as my brain will allow the processing!

• Like 1

I noticed the same lull in the Apple II eco-sphere. Big slowdown for a while from 1995 to maybe 2012, then gradual upticks in new material and developments. I don't think this trend is unique to any one platform.

I agree yet believe the TI-99/4 community may appreciate the uptick more than fans of the more historically prolific platforms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

In so many ways the TI-99/4 platform was cheated out of substantial third party support - back in the day - by overly restrictive corporate decision making.

This fabulously unique machine was never allowed to reach its true potential.

We’re left with an especially challenging and rewarding retro platform to develop on.

In a way it’s like developing for the more commonly enhanced machines (Apple2/C64/Atari800/TRS-80) is like taking the easy way out.

This road less travelled suits me just fine. I left the TI for an Apple2+, yet decades later I have little desire to rediscover that less peculiar machine.

Edited by Airshack
  • Like 3

I made the same choices back in the day and completely agree. I loved the Apple ][+ experience - but my first computer was the TI. It's what I learned to program on. It's what I worked all summer long as a kid to buy. My first IT job was porting games to it at Aardvark Software in Walled Lake MI.

It was also the machine with the peripherals I could never afford - and lo, I made the ultimate decision based on the lack of comprehensible 80 column screen support.

Today however, I have everything TI I could have ever wanted - except comprehensive 80 column support... LOL

Some things never do change... (and I do have the F18A - but until I can program in TI Extended Basic with it...)

L1170717

L1170716

In so many ways the TI-99/4 platform was cheated out of substantial third party support - back in the day - by overly restrictive corporate decision making.

This fabulously unique machine was never allowed to reach its true potential.

We’re left with an especially challenging and rewarding retro platform to develop on.

In a way it’s like developing for the more commonly enhanced machines (Apple2/C64/Atari800/TRS-80) is like taking the easy way out.

This road less travelled suits me just fine. I left the TI for an Apple2+, yet decades later I have little desire to rediscover that less peculiar machine.

Edited by aftyde
  • Like 1

Some things never do change... (and I do have the F18A - but until I can program in TI Extended Basic with it...)

Aftyde! - It looks like you've missed a few things going on in the TI community as well. May I direct your attention to the attached ZIP file below sir? Senior_Falcon, one of our communities esteemed gurus took care of that 80 column Extended BASIC thing for ya! :-D

T80XB.zip

Very cool - but not really what I'm looking for. (I am grateful to have it though) I was looking for something like RXB that comes up in 80 col - much like Cortex BASIC. In that way - I could program in it using TI Basic and the whole experience would be 80 col.

Aftyde! - It looks like you've missed a few things going on in the TI community as well. May I direct your attention to the attached ZIP file below sir? Senior_Falcon, one of our communities esteemed gurus took care of that 80 column Extended BASIC thin

Since the last update of the TI Gameshelf site, there have been 16 new games produced, and I may have missed some as well!!! When I started the site in 2007, I had to scour the existing libraries for interesting games to post as new games were far and few in between. Now, I am struggling to keep up... I am hoping to do an update tomorrow, which will likely take me most of the day given the number of new entries I have to review.

This is insanely great :)

• Like 7

This is interesting to me as well. My first computer as a child was a TI 99/4A (in beige, so that's why I have a beige one now). Since I was a kid when the 99/4A was out, I never had the means to get any of the peripherals, and the moved to the Commodore 128 and then later PCs. The TI has always held a spot in my heart, however, so at times I collected TI equipment and then sold it. At one point I had a 99/4, a black/silver 99/4A, a beige 99/4A and a 99/8, along with a PEB and all that good stuff. I then sold all of that equipment and within the last year decided to get back into it again. I'm back to a single beige 99/4A (a new one), along with a nano-PEB and a FG99 and that is able to hold my interest. I am very much looking forward to the TiPi and I'm on the wait list for the F18A. Can't wait to get those! It's a great time to be in the hobby.

• Like 2

I am more of a Commodore guy but I had picked up a TI-99/4A at a local convention, built up a bit of a cartridge library, and finally, about a year ago, bought a PEB at a great price from a guy on vcfed. I didnt use it much and I have a toddler at home so my time for the retro computing hobby is severely curtailed these days, and in the end I chose to sell my setup to fund another project (a retro car I acquired).

I am seriously considering hopping back in. I have to say, without a doubt, the TI-99/4A community is one of the very best and most geenrous, open, and friendly retro computing communities out there.

• Like 3