IGNORED

Altirra 3.00 released

phaeron

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-3.10-test30.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-3.10-test30-src.zip

• The emulator now attempts to detect if a binary program being directly loaded overlaps enabled internal BASIC, and if so will prompt to disable it. This is detected if internal BASIC is enabled and the program has a segment loading over $A000-BFFF before the first init segment.

Auto detection sound very good, but I think the logic should rather be like "if the XEX is loaded to any location in $A000-$BFFF" disable BASIC if the bit in PORTB is not yet set correctly.

Many programs use direct loading to $d301 (01 d3 01 d3 ff) instead of INI code/segments to toggle that.

• Dos 1.0: As Dos 2.x (1st char. NOT a number, "_" and "@" NOT allowed at all)

Not sure about DOS 2.0, but I've always used filenames starting with a number in DOS 2.5. For simplicity, some utilities I wrote on the Atari use one character file names using digits like "3.DAT" just for easy file selection during development. I can drag these files from Altirra's disk browser to an Explorer window, but I cannot drop them back to Altirra, having to rename them to a "valid" filename before the drag into the ATR and then rename them back using DOS's FMS or TurboBasic XL's RENAME statement.

I've just checked pages 19-22 of the Atari DOS 2.5 - 1050 Disk Drive Owner's Manual and the only restriction is that the filename may have up to 8 letters or numbers, without any mention that the first one must be a letter. That's why I never got a 165-Filename error with these single number filenames.

When I drag a file into a disk image using Disk Explorer to a SpartaDOS disk, the current time stamp is applied, not the time from the file that I dragged in. And likewise if I drag a file out of a disk image, the resulting file on the windows side also receives the current time, not the original time of the file in the disk image.

it would be nice have the timestamps preserved for filesystems that support them... The only way I have been able to maintain them so far is using RespeQt/SDX PC-LINK.

Yeah, I do that, already have all the pieces for it.

Hi! I was testing Altirra with an Eidolon cartridge image, and it crashes when I load a save state of it. Attached is the save state as well as the cartridge image I use. Is it possible to take a look? Thanks!

Regards!

I can't reproduce, but it is probably related to a device. Devices don't support save states, period, so things will break when you use them with stuff in the device tree. A rewrite of the save state system is needed to implement this.

Auto detection sound very good, but I think the logic should rather be like "if the XEX is loaded to any location in $A000-$BFFF" disable BASIC if the bit in PORTB is not yet set correctly.

Many programs use direct loading to $d301 (01 d3 01 d3 ff) instead of INI code/segments to toggle that.

Ew, direct loading on top of hardware.

I can't check the actual PORTB state since this runs pre-reset and I don't want to try auto-disabling BASIC on the fly during the load, but I can also check for hardware range overlaps and stop the scan at any such segment.

Not sure about DOS 2.0, but I've always used filenames starting with a number in DOS 2.5. For simplicity, some utilities I wrote on the Atari use one character file names using digits like "3.DAT" just for easy file selection during development. I can drag these files from Altirra's disk browser to an Explorer window, but I cannot drop them back to Altirra, having to rename them to a "valid" filename before the drag into the ATR and then rename them back using DOS's FMS or TurboBasic XL's RENAME statement.

I've just checked pages 19-22 of the Atari DOS 2.5 - 1050 Disk Drive Owner's Manual and the only restriction is that the filename may have up to 8 letters or numbers, without any mention that the first one must be a letter. That's why I never got a 165-Filename error with these single number filenames.

It seems that this changed between DOS 2.0 and 2.5. 2.0 throws errors if you use a leading number, while 2.5 allows it. I'm going to adjust the validator so it defaults to relaxed rules if it sees either an ED disk or an existing non-strict file.

• Like 2

I can't reproduce, but it is probably related to a device. Devices don't support save states, period, so things will break when you use them with stuff in the device tree. A rewrite of the save state system is needed to implement this.

I took a look to the device, and nothing is attached. What I did is attach the cartridge image and, after playing a while with the game, create a save state. When I try to load it again with the cartridge, it crashes.

Apparently, it seems that the loading state assumes that the cartridge inserted is turned on and starting at bank 0. Maybe, I don't know for sure.

Fair enough, that of is down to your coding skills, I can't remember if its a single load or how the saving works nor if any of this stuff conflicts so you may well have a good working conversion to cart that until Avery thinks about any possible save rewrites may never work from a save state on Altirra.

Have fun with the project

Good luck...and hope it all goes well..

Paul..

Edited by Mclaneinc

As many know I'm helping a fiend who has began to suffer badly with Dementia, its not fun but he's a friend of 40yrs whose wife died 10yrs ago so its the least I can do but I think I'm catching up with him or working too hard. I swear Altirra had direct .arc file support, ie you could attach them as an emulated dos file and load from this virtual disk. Now after looking I found what I did already know which was that you could attach arc files to the disc explorer, rip out what you wanted, make an atr up and drag them back on to that as to make a real disk.

Was I imagining the .arc file mounted directly as a dos type disk?

Like you can mount a folder as a virtual DOS disk but with an arc file instead?

I am beginning to think I made this up in my head which takes me to the other option and a mini request..

In the explorer I can load the arc, drag out the bits I want, go to disk drives, create a disk, open that in the explorer window and then drag back the files from the arc file. It would be great if these two parts were more mixed in to one so that you can create a disk in the explorer window as you can in the Disk drives window, mount it there and drag the files back in all in one window open window. It really only needs the create disk side or make the disk explorer part of the drives window :)

Yes its cosmetic, yes its lazy and one of those last hing on a rainy day before the world end projects and that is where I'd prioritise it myself, so, should that day arrive Avery, any chance of adding it.. :)

More interested if I made up the direct arc file support in my already confused head :)

(and yeah, I'm also thinking "just how many times does any one play with arc files these days"...In my case, too often :)

(and yeah, I'm also thinking "just how many times does any one play with arc files these days"...In my case, too often :)

I'm fighting with ARC files quite often. I'm glad Altirra can deal with those as none of the "universal" UnArchivers I have for Win64 seems to support it anymore. Even when ARC support is claimed in the docs it always turns out this is only valid for later ARC formats. The ones created on Atari just bug out.

And how is this done Jon, its not happening automatically here and there's no drive option (that I can see apart from folder mounting etc..There's a mention of recursively expanding all ARChive files but with an arc selected in a drive and left clicking that option I just get a message mini window saying Archives expanded : 0.

Its doing my head in because I know the code is in there because the explorer window opens an arc file and something makes me remember having a DOS disk in D1: and an arc file in d2: and being able to look at the arc like it was a disk..

I feel like I'm going mad here, is me or is it Memorex :) (Sorry old advert joke)

Did I dream this?

What is worse is that many months ago I made a huge commitment to a better life style so no drink at all, all salads, fruit, and no take aways etc..Normal healthy stuff and I've lost some weight and feel better, has fat been replaced by hallucinations :)

(Just rereading your post Jon, did you mean they get mounted as that in the disk explorer window? hence you can view and play with them) and that window only, not as a SDFS mounted ATR in the Disk Drives menu?

Edited by Mclaneinc

I'm fighting with ARC files quite often. I'm glad Altirra can deal with those as none of the "universal" UnArchivers I have for Win64 seems to support it anymore. Even when ARC support is claimed in the docs it always turns out this is only valid for later ARC formats. The ones created on Atari just bug out.

Yes I found this too Fox, looked all over the place and I seem to remember finding one or two but they were 32bit DOS command line stuff which is such a pain in X64 Win 7...If I could I'd expand the lot of them and mount the folders in Altirra if my previous notion of being able to do it easily in Altirra was just a mad dream :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

Before Altirra supported ARC files I used a default ATR image to unpack those. Just a bootable 2880 sectors SpartaDos image with UNARC and UNLZH on it which would be reused over and over again. The ARC file would be dragged to the active image and what came out of the archives would be dragged from that image to a Win folder for further inspection/testing/whatever before the ATR was even saved. I guess it could be a bit simplified by setting up a PC mirror but it worked for me.

Basically, any roms from this year. I thought there was an archive of roms all in a single zip file that was being updated over time. Am I wrong about that?

That's exactly what I need. I've been busy the past several months and have not kept up with the new rom requirements. So I don't know what I need and what I don't.

Someone else posted this months ago. I've been using it and it's quite great.

altirra bios.zip

Edited by DrVenkman

ARC mounting doesn't have a specific menu option -- you simply select it as a disk image. The emulator automatically converts it to a SpartaDOS-formatted image and then mounts that.

If the ARCs are in a disk image, I don't bother dragging it out to open separately, I just explode all the ARCs in the image and then fish out what's needed.

• Like 2

Basically, any roms from this year. I thought there was an archive of roms all in a single zip file that was being updated over time. Am I wrong about that?

Well I keep a rom file that came originally from Serj, its a bit bloated thanks to me but complete (I think), I'll find a way to add it or a link that's friendly for in here..

Ah, Dr Venkman has posted it, I keep adding to it and I think there's maybe one rom missing from that, I'll add it in a bit but that folder should be plenty to start go on with :)

Edit: here's the full set below including Nezgars 810 B rom from the other week...

There's 2 pic files to show where the files go in the firmware manager, Altirra will scan the folder (if you ask it) and assign some of the roms automatically, use the pictures to assign the others by hand..

Have fun..

Paul..

https://mega.nz/#!Mhgi0YQD!vIxTe1Plplcm1OwQD7KwpG4AHq6wjbJ-bNC4Wfn-HA0

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 3

ARC mounting doesn't have a specific menu option -- you simply select it as a disk image. The emulator automatically converts it to a SpartaDOS-formatted image and then mounts that.

If the ARCs are in a disk image, I don't bother dragging it out to open separately, I just explode all the ARCs in the image and then fish out what's needed.

Arghhh....Yes, the missing mistake on my part, using Spartados to look at them...IDIOT!!!!...Massive DOH! moment....My apologies...

Used a selection of DOS's but not the most well known and used dos these days...Rodney you plonker (TV joke)

Sorry Avery...At least I wasn't imagining it all ;)

Small mercies...

Well I keep a rom file that came originally from Serj, its a bit bloated thanks to me but complete (I think), I'll find a way to add it or a link that's friendly for in here..

Ah, Dr Venkman has posted it, I keep adding to it and I think there's maybe one rom missing from that, I'll add it in a bit but that folder should be plenty to start go on with :)

Edit: here's the full set below including Nezgars 810 B rom from the other week...

There's 2 pic files to show where the files go in the firmware manager, Altirra will scan the folder (if you ask it) and assign some of the roms automatically, use the pictures to assign the others by hand..

Have fun..

Paul..

https://mega.nz/#!Mhgi0YQD!vIxTe1Plplcm1OwQD7KwpG4AHq6wjbJ-bNC4Wfn-HA0

Thank you! :) I downloaded them and I am keeping the bookmark hot just in case this gets updated.

• Like 1