IGNORED

Do you think this "untested" Atari 2600 lot on ebay looks ok enough to buy?

Pink

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-2600-Jr-Console-With-2-Paddle-Controllers-1-Joystick-Plus-30-Games/152841234728?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I just bought this "untested" Darth Vader 2600 Atari lot on ebay, $40+$6.xx shipping, 30 games, 1 joystick and a set of paddles plus the AC Adapter.

Sweet price, seems too good to be true. Says it worked when it was last used 25 years ago.

Reasons why I think it'll work and it seemed like it was worth snatching up and taking a gamble on.

-Seller says it worked last when he last played it 25+ years ago and since then it's been in storage

-The console itself looks to be in pretty good condition

-Reading their auction it sounds like he/she genuinely may not know how to hook it up to their TV to test it and genuinely just want it gone hence the low price

This is the early model where the single RCA connector is hardwired to the unit. My understanding is that a RCA to Coax connector is needed to work on modern televisions which can be purchased at any hardware store or electronics store for $1 or $2. Not sure if that's all it takes but there are online instructions that seem pretty simple to set it up.

In any case I'm cleaning out and getting rid of things. I'm just looking to move it so I'm offering it at a pretty fair/cheap price. Lots of games included. As I mentioned, it worked when we last used this about 25 years ago (probably more). It was well packed and kept in a safe temp controlled area. While I have no reason to think it wouldn't work, I have no way to test the unit so I'm selling it as is. That's why I selected "For parts, not working" as the condition option. No returns, no refunds. As long as you understand and are OK with this then it might be just what you're looking for.

-Looking at their other items they sell and the items people bought looking at their feedback, I don't see any other video games, mostly vinyl, CDs, cassettes and stuff like that. Now if they looked to be someone that specialized in retro game consoles or old school electronics and had multiple Atari 2600 consoles or other video game consoles in general listed or any old electronics listed saying they were tested and/or working, then i'd be very weary and would immediately avoid

It looks to be (from my point of view at least) they found it in storage, don't know how to hook it up to test it, or they think they can't hook it up to a modern tv, and genuinely do just want it gone like they stated in their auction, hence the very low price. And if it worked the last time they used it and it's been in storage, I think it's safe to say it'll still work barring a catastrophe happened while it was in storage (Like it was in a basement that got flooded and sat in a pool of water, etc.) And Atari 2600's are fairly reliable and well built. Now if this were an "untested" Colecovision, I wouldn't touch it with a 20 foot pole.

Anyways I will update and let you guys know how it works when I receive it!

Edited by Pink

Even if it needs a little work, I think you got a great deal. The joystick looks to still have most of the orange paint on it, which means it may not have seen a lot of use. That's a good sign. The pots in the paddles should only need a good cleaning, so that's not a big deal. You got 30 games that will probably all work after cleaning the contacts. So, if the power supply is good, you've got your money's worth . If the Vader fires up and works, you got a real bargain! :thumbsup:

The seller really had no clue how much shipping is. :-o

Be sure to let us know how it goes when you get it. :)

No ET cartridge in the lot as well, a huge bonus!

It's a huge pet peeve of mine when I see someone selling a lot of Atari games, and they have multiple copies of ET and the original Pac-man. Nothing like seeing a lot of 20 Atari 2600 cartridges and 8 of them are ET hahaha

Edited by Pink
  • Like 1

This here is an example of an "untested" system I would avoid

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATARI-2600-Video-Computer-System-6-switch-Light-Sixer-Woodgrain-UNTESTED/332485528943?hash=item4d69ae8d6f:g:yFEAAOSwWflaMKfQ

Comes with everything needed to hook it up to a TV. Looking at the seller's other auctions, I see numerous other video game merchandise for sale. One of the first auctions I see is this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dragon-Warrior-III-3-NES-Cartridge-And-Black-Sleeve-Cleaned-TESTED-Rare-Original/263371543331?hash=item3d522ad323:g:kMkAAOSwOgdYsJro

Dragon Warrior III cartridge, seller opened the cartridge and took the PCB board out and cleaned it and everything and took photos of it unassembled. If you own a Gamebit screwdriver and know how to open an NES cartridge and take the PCB board out to clean it and everything, I'm not going to believe you can't figure out how to hook a 2600 up to a modern TV to test it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Official-OEM-Red-Controller-Nintendo-64-for-N64-System-Tested-Tight-Stick/332468117153?hash=item4d68a4dea1:g:EioAAOSwNWxaILnq

An "OEM" Nintendo 64 controller. If you're familiar with the term "OEM" and know how to use it and what it means, it's the little things like that I look for.

This seller doesn't strike me as some grandma or whoever that just randomly stumbled upon one of their kid's old Atari 2600's in storage and don't know how to hook it up or might think you can't hook it up to a modern tv, and just want to get rid of it and have it gone. A grandma who randomly finds their kid's old Atari in a box in the attic or basement isn't going to know or be familiar with the term "OEM."

This seller strikes me as knowingly selling a broken/non-working console as "untested."

Edited by Pink
  • Like 2

Says it's being sent with Media Mail. Might wanna talk to them about that before they send it and you end up with a COD.

This has happened to me before as well so I certainly agree. The postal worker was nice enough to waive the charge for me though. I would write them and insist they do not ship via media mail as it is against postal regulations and that if you do get hit with a charge that you will leave them negative feedback.

It's not really COD it is pay postage due or don't take it. When someone sends me a package underweight or via a service such as media mail that is not allowed and more postage is due, I tell the postman to bring it back tomorrow. I then email seller and ask for a refund of the postage due or it can be sent back to them and they can pay the postage due plus return shipping. That is how the post office rolls. They will keep the package unless seller pays both the postage due and new postage for sending it back. I generally get a refund. Last time it was like $.80 lol. I know it was a bit absurd but the seller knew what they were doing when they shipped it underweight in the first place.

• Like 1

I purchased a Atari Jr recently under same scenario as you. Cheap, came with a few cartridges and original box.

When I got it, nothing would show up on screen when powered on. All scrambled and static sound.

Took me only a few mins to fix it. Needed to adjust the RF coil with an allen wrench. Worked perfectly. Little things like this are overlooked by most, because they do not know any better.

Haha as a 25 year old I had to look up what a COD is, I've heard of them before but never really knew what they were or what it stand for. I recall seeing As seen on TV commercials in the 90s and 2000s they would say "Sorry, No CODs please" at the end of the commercial when they were telling you the 1800 number to call, but thats about the extent that i've heard of them.

Expected delivery date Monday January 8 from New York to Minneapolis :o :o :o

It's been so long since I've had something delivered to me via Media Mail, I forgot how slow it is. I don't mind the wait one bit, just the anticipation of getting the package and seeing whether or not the Atari works is what's killing me haha and whether or not it'll get opened and inspected and i'll be hit with a postage due charge when it does get here.

WAHOO!!!!!!!

They attempted to deliver it Friday but I was sleeping (I work overnights) and my apartment office was closed when the mail was delivered so it went back to the local post office and I had to go pick it up. I picked it up today! It was indeed sent Media Mail but fortunately it didnt get inspected or anything so no money owed upon delivery!

The thing works like a champ! And holy cow is the console in fantastic condition! And the seller did an extremely good job packing it up in the box and bubble wrapping it!

For $46.xx this was an incredible deal and I am so super happy and excited! And it came with 32 cartridges rather then 30! Haven't gone through them to see what the extra cartridges were that weren't listed in the auction. UPDATE:While the auction said 30 games, if you look at the list in the auction where he lists all the included games, he listed 32 of them haha. So there weren't any extra games thrown in.

Update:The Paddles work as well! They're a little jittery but thats to be expected.

XIjo8u8.jpg

tKeF4Mf.jpg

79kgUHx.jpg

g7YHC9H.jpg

Qbernif.jpg

Edited by Pink
  • Like 5

Thanks for the update! For what it's worth I paid $45 for my Vader at a Pawn shop, IIRC it had, 3 controllers, all hookups, 0 games and came packaged in a hippie handbag that actually might be worth money to the right person. Oh, and I had to talk them down from $90 :lol:

So how much did he actually pay for shipping, if you can tell and don't mind me asking? (Although I know technically you're not supposed to buck the system and use media mail for this haha)..