IGNORED

$400 N64 with UltraHDMI?! Is it worth it?

Metal Jesus

I agree, when you see someone paying upwards of $400, and a base N64 unit is what, $40? Gametech is charging right now $150 for the HDMI update and it's in stock. So there ya go basically about $200 into it. $200 to solder a decent amount of wires to the big chip there in that demo video, then a tiny bit of dremel work and securing the mini-HDMI port to the back end of the N64. That's somehow worth as high as $200? Bullshit. That's straight up pure scamming.

I imagine if someone was skilled enough to do this, regardless if they had to setup a table and put their kit on it, could get this done in maybe an hour or less from the looks of things. I don't see how it's worth $200/hr worth of work. I could see paying someone $50 for their time if I supplied all the parts (kit, and system) along with covering the shipping charges.

Years ago I paid for the Starfox 2 cart to get put onto an old copy of Stunt Race. Have you ever seen the hellish amount of work involved there? That's a confined space with dramatically more wires, tiny ones too at that, off each pin on the processor to bypass the original game. I ended up paying $70 on that job which included the cost of the Stunt Race cart.

It occurs to me that if the install cost were too high, there would be substantial profit in buying kits, doing the install, and reselling them at a price low enough to undercut the original source. And if that isn't a viable plan, then $300+ is probably not that bad after all.

Just because it's more money than I happen to have today, doesn't mean it isn't worth it.

• Like 1

I agree, when you see someone paying upwards of $400, and a base N64 unit is what, $40? Gametech is charging right now $150 for the HDMI update and it's in stock. So there ya go basically about $200 into it. $200 to solder a decent amount of wires to the big chip there in that demo video, then a tiny bit of dremel work and securing the mini-HDMI port to the back end of the N64. That's somehow worth as high as $200? Bullshit. That's straight up pure scamming.

I imagine if someone was skilled enough to do this, regardless if they had to setup a table and put their kit on it, could get this done in maybe an hour or less from the looks of things. I don't see how it's worth $200/hr worth of work. I could see paying someone $50 for their time if I supplied all the parts (kit, and system) along with covering the shipping charges.

Years ago I paid for the Starfox 2 cart to get put onto an old copy of Stunt Race. Have you ever seen the hellish amount of work involved there? That's a confined space with dramatically more wires, tiny ones too at that, off each pin on the processor to bypass the original game. I ended up paying $70 on that job which included the cost of the Stunt Race cart.

Dremel? The UltraHDMI port can be notched out with a simple hand file. If your potential modder even mentions taking a dremel near your N64, run for the hills.

Edited by keepdreamin

Just because it's more money than I happen to have today, doesn't mean it isn't worth it.

A quick look at Sold ebay listings for the entire package shows many, many system sold for well over $400... so for many people, the price is right:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=n64+ultra+hdmi&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=98116&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1

Stupid people and their money will be separated. That's nothing new. Look at the asinine bidding highs that the NES CE got last year when it was canned. Or look at the sustained cost of what people charge to do a recap on a PCE/Turbo Duo over the price of the unit itself. In neither case of those systems or the UltraHDMI for N64 are they worth like $200/hr+ worth of work. Dumb people will pay whatever they think is right, not what actually is right.

• Like 2

Couldn't you just get a busted one on eBay and do a case swap with your modded board?

How often do N64s break? Granted, my personal one is on the fritz, but from what I've seen, it's One of the all-time greats in the reliability department.