IGNORED

Gene Medic released as homebrew edutainement game

scitari

I am pleased to announce the release of my first Atari 2600 game programmed in assembly language. The game is called Gene Medic and it is based on a future of genome editing to cure common diseases. There is educational value to the game as it introduces concepts such as context-dependent mutations and the electronic health record. The full details along with the binary and heavily commented source code can be found at http://genemedic.org. Many thanks to everyone who has contributed to this forum. I learned a lot from this group and am, of course, still learning! I hope others will find my source code useful for their own Atari 2600 programming efforts.

ScreenShot1-768x509.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the cool game! It is creative, unique, and fun. I've killed a few and saved a few.

An idea: I think the addition of countdown timers for declining patient health and medical expenses might be interesting (of course, for this to work, the player's health and finance meters might need to begin in the center). As far as I can tell, if you take your time and no chances, you always win. If a patient's health is declining, the player might have to take a chance - buying the patient some time or ultimately killing them.

Edited by mojofltr
  • Like 2

Interesting game concept!

I agree with mojo, there could be some extra challenge added. Maybe for Gene Medic II?

Every action (and time) could add to the expenses, the patient's health should (slowly) decline with time too, especially when his/her status is very weak. The game then could create situations where the medic has to decide whether the budget allows him to cure the patient at all costs or if this would become too costly (reality hurts!). He then would have to give up that patient.

For making this work, there should be more than one patient. So when you have finished the 1st patient, the remaining budget is taken over for the next one. The game would end after you have lost e.g. 3 patients or run out of budget. After e.g. 10 patients, you are allowed to lose another patient. The goal would be to save as many patients as possible.

Over the time the medic could gain additional reputation/knowledge (automatically or via costly(?) power ups), which would allow him to save more patients (e.g. running faster, better knowledge, more extra money). Also the patients would become more difficult (on average) to cure over time.

BTW: I little animation of the medic would have been nice too.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

We'll be featuring Gene Medic LIVE on tomorrow's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Gene Medic (2017) by Jason H. Moore aka scitari
- Battle-Zuma (2019) by Ricardo Pim
- Wall Jump Ninja (2015) (World Record Attempt) by walaber
- Kaboom! (1981) (Patch Attempt) by Larry Kaplan

EDIT: Archive Video of Stream

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2019 at 3:34 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

We'll be featuring Gene Medic LIVE on tomorrow's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Thanks for playing through Gene Medic! Nice to see you were able to save the patient :)

Edited by scitari
  • Like 1