IGNORED

NES Classic

sn8k

I figured this would be the place to get a concrete answer to my question. Or atleast as close to it as possible. So I got one of these things. Caved and paid $250 for it. I do want to add roms to it and know of a couple of people locally offering services to add what ever games I want on it. I know it can be bricked if you mess up the process of modding it. My question is, will something like this affect it in the long run what so ever? Assuming it's done once and not messed with after. Is it possible for it to just die one day? Had it happen to a psp that bricked and one day just refused to do anything and that one experience is whats stopping me from messing with a $250 magic box which at this point is nearly irreplaceable. They do come back in the summer but let's be real, we all know it will be another shit show and would have to be another all nighter to get another one. Or another 200-250, both things I wish to avoid if my Classic wont boot up one day because of pirate shit.

Edited by sn8k

Or another 200-250, both things I wish to avoid if my Classic wont boot up one day because of pirate shit.

Well bothe SNES and NES will be released again by Nintendo later this year so sorry to hear you caved into the scalpers. I'm might just get the Retro-Bit Super Retro-Cade ($60 SNES/NES/GBX, and an SD card for ROMs) )until Nintendo gets around to manufacturing more SNES or NES consoles.

With that said Nintendo owns and/or licenses all the technology and games so sure Nintendo could put some simple checksum that disables the console. If Nintendo was serious could disable the console after X minutes of playing. I worked on commercial set top boxes a few decades ago and it was common practice to run checksum across the filesystem so any change could be detected and deactivate the set top box.

Now no one outside of the developers and possibly others at Nintendo would know. Though it would spread very quickly if that was the case.

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 2