IGNORED

New game released: Jack the Nipper

Tezz

Now that's how it's done! Excellent! This is wonderful and judicious use of resources, intelligent. Did I convey that I really love what's been done here!?!

Tezz this is terrific, Mariusz it's magnificent....Ben it's beautiful.

Great Scott it's good ! _Doc__

Edited by _The Doctor__

Thanks for all the positive comments, here as promised is the v1.1 final release. The attached single executable works on both 64KB and 128KB+ systems. When 128KB+ RAM is not detected, the game behaves exactly like previous release. When 128KB+ RAM is detected however, sprite rendering routines now call the sprite cache manager. Cache manager creates a preshifted/mirrored copy of the sprite and returns it for sprite rendering providing an increase in performance. Scenes that had multiple sprites at the maximum size and height are now in keeping with the rest of the game performing without the slight slowdown in the 64K version. I've added a small indication on the bottom of the title screen to confirm when 128kb+ has been detected. Thanks to Mariusz for the work implementing the cache manager. Whilst preparing this final release, I have now also animated the overlay on the title screen to go with the animated "JACK THE NIPPER" text, it was a bit lame having a static overlay there in the previous release :)

Hello Tezz and Mariusz, thank you for very nice port of Jack the Nipper. I made a map with walkthrough here: http://atari.panprase.cz/?action=detail&co=6592

I noticed one graphic bug in version 1.1 in two screens where you can get to if you have Key item in inventory. In these two screens some enemy npcs freeze and upper part of screen make rest npcs and player himself invisible, then it is hard to move to exit "door" (bugged part of screens are marked on screenshots below by yellow color). It happens in both versions of game (xex and atr).

In version 1.0 everything was fine with these two screens.

atari000.png

atari001.png

Edited by Lukaso
  • Like 2

offtopic:

Barbarian [2012] : A new improved version of the game for the A8

released where Tezz ?

Hi, the projects listed in my signature are ongoing ones as well as completed :) I've resumed working on Barbarian now actually so it will be up next.

• Like 6

Hello Tezz and Mariusz, thank you for very nice port of Jack the Nipper. I made a map with walkthrough here: http://atari.panprase.cz/?action=detail&co=6592

I noticed one graphic bug in version 1.1 in two screens where you can get to if you have Key item in inventory. In these two screens some enemy npcs freeze and upper part of screen make rest npcs and player himself invisible, then it is hard to move to exit "door" (bugged part of screens are marked on screenshots below by yellow color). It happens in both versions of game (xex and atr).

Great, thanks for creating the map and walkthrough :thumbsup: The new sprite cache manager and dirty tile procedures in v1.1 updates only the active areas of the screen. I'll check those two special screens now to see what was missed there.

Hi, the projects listed in my signature are ongoing ones as well as completed :) I've resumed working on Barbarian now actually so it will be up next.

Ah, I assumed that your programs with a year in [brackets] meant they were released in that year - and I could not find anything about a Barbarian released in 2012... thank you anyways for the info and most of all: Thanks for all the hard + time-consuming programming work you do for us Atarians for free !!

• Like 1

Hi all,

Here's the fixed version 1.1 attached.

Thanks for playing through the game Lukaso and creating the walkthrough map spotting the error affecting those two special rooms

jack.xex

DOS2_5.atr

• Like 8

Ah, I assumed that your programs with a year in [brackets] meant they were released in that year - and I could not find anything about a Barbarian released in 2012... thank you anyways for the info and most of all: Thanks for all the hard + time-consuming programming work you do for us Atarians for free !!

You're welcome, I'm glad that people enjoy them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A silly question... How do you display a lot pof colours in a 320×192 screen?

I'm curious. :-)

Since the Atari's hi-res mode is monochrome, you can only have the brightness of the background colour changed. BUT, when using certain priority modes, the player missile graphics can be used as a crude sort of "colour map". Stick a blue player behind an object, and the object will then have that shade of blue.

• Like 1