IGNORED

What have you ACTUALLY played tracker - Modern Edition (2018)

There was a bit more diversity around here this week than the last, and I ended up logging a fair amount of classic gaming time in addition to my modern gaming activities.

hZDerOp.jpg

Ineligible

Astro Blaster (Atari 7800, Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 18 minutes

BurgerTime (Atari 2600) - 32 minutes
Scramble (Atari 7800, Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 13 minutes
Tower Toppler (Atari 7800) - 516 minutes

Nintendo 3DS
Pokémon Ultra Sun - 833 minutes

Nintendo GameCube
Metroid Prime - 332 minutes

Nintendo Wii
Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil - 115 minutes
Sonic Colors - 205 minutes

Total Play Time This Week
2,064 minutes (34 hours 24 minutes) [1,485 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Nintendo 3DS - 833 minutes
Atari 7800 - 547 minutes
Nintendo GameCube - 332 minutes
Nintendo Wii - 320 minutes
Atari 2600 - 32 minutes

Like last week, most of my gaming time for the past week was occupied by Pokémon Ultra Sun on the 3DS; though not quite to the extreme that it was last week. I finished up the main game over the weekend and got to see the credits roll, though there's still quite a bit of stuff left to do in the post game so I wouldn't be surprised if I end up putting another 50 hours or more into it over the course of the next few months. It's a really wonderful game with a lot to do even after you finish the story.

I also spent a good amount of time playing Tower Toppler on the Atari 7800, for the Atari 7800 High Score Club. It's a darn difficult and at times really frustrating game but I stuck with it until I did eventually beat the game with a final score of 64,940. Outside of those two games the only other game I played a substantial amount this past week was Metroid Prime on the GameCube, which I started Saturday night since I had been itching to play a first-person shooter and wanted something to tide me over until I could play Doom on the 32X with the 6-button Sega Genesis controller I recently picked up on eBay arrives in the mail. I've beaten Metroid Prime on Normal difficulty half a dozen times before but have never played it on Hard difficulty, so that's what I decided to try this time. It's certainly proving to be a serious challenge, though thankfully a lot less frustrating than Tower Toppler. :lol:

For my wife's gaming time this past week she finished Sonic Colors on the Wii, then took a break from gaming for most of the week while trying to decide what to play next. Eventually she settled on playing Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil on the Wii, playing as Jill on Hard difficulty. She had never played it on Hard before and was pretty startled to find about half the ammunition caches you'd normally find in the game to be missing and has probably spent more time running away from monsters than fighting them, but she's been holding her own and doing well in spite of lack of ammunition. It was actually watching her play Resident Evil on Hard that inspired me to try Metroid Prime on Hard.

That's really all the news that's fit to print for this week. Next week I'll be continuing to play through Metroid Prime and definitely giving Doom on the 32X a go once my 6-button Genesis controller arrives in the mail. I've been looking for a mint condition scratch-free official 6-button controller for the Genesis for a good 2 or 3 years now, so I was really excited to finally score one on eBay for a fairly reasonable $29 shipped this past week and I'll definitely be putting it to good use once it arrives. I imagine the misses will continue playing through the Resident Evil remake on the Wii next week, though now that we both have official 6-button Genesis controllers I might have to run out to the local game stores and see if I can find us a copy of Street Fighter II': Special Champion Edition or Mortal Kombat to play together. She always kicks my butt at fighting games but it still sounds fun to share some hot 6-button Sega action. :lol:

Until next week, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours.

Edited by Jin
  • Like 3

Still playing plenty of Destiny 2. I also bought Ruiner, which is a cool cyberpunk top down, twin stick shooter. I used the TrueAchievements game tracker, so the minutes are accurate.

Destiny 2 (Xbox One): 24 hours 7 minutes (1447 minutes)

Ruiner (Xbox One): 46 minutes

Nice :) you just made it. About to post the weekly stats.

Also Ive come close to buying Ruiner but just havent pulled the trigger yet, sounds like your enjoying it so I may have to get it to try out :)

• Like 1

Nice :) you just made it. About to post the weekly stats.

Also Ive come close to buying Ruiner but just havent pulled the trigger yet, sounds like your enjoying it so I may have to get it to try out :)

Ruiner is really good. I thought it would be more of a bare bones top down shooter, but there's a hub world to explore, side missions and some RPG and adventure game elements. The graphics and characters are very cyberpunk and the music is great.

• Like 2

Here are my times for this past week (January 15th through 21st) on modern systems:

Uzebox:

Pac-Man - 20 min.

Dr. Mario - 10 min.

Android phone:

Crazy Taxi: City Rush - 86 min. in 7 sessions

Online:

Papa's Pancakeria - 153 min. in 5 sessions

Twitch:

Stockstream - 51 min. in 5 sessions

I tried two Uzebox games this week, Pac Man and Dr. Mario using an online emulator. Sadly, on Dr. Mario it seems like not all keys are working, so it was rather difficult to play, and I switched to the NES version.

Then I continued to play Crazy Taxi: City Rush, in which I made a bit of progress in the Uptown district. In Papa's Pancakeria, I got to the level where you can also make drinks for your guests. Also I maxed out the space for posters and ground items in the lobby.

In Stockstream, the balance is now over $58,000, and they have a contest on which however is only for US residents which I'm not. So I played along a bit, but didn't get too deep into it.

• Like 4

PC (Windows 10)

Clone Hero - 350 minutes

Well, skipped playing anything last week because finals and projects around the house but this week I got a bit more in. At school it was supposed to be "finals week" this week but my finals were last week so I didn't have anything to do - ended up bringing in an old Thinkpad loaded with Clone Hero, four guitars, and a good 4000 tracks to mess with and lugged it around which people absolutely loved because that meant we could do something other than watch the same old generic movies or sit around doing nothing.

So yep, that's it. Looking back I realize that a few of my times aren't exactly right - it doesn't matter too much because all of the games do run on the versions of Windows that they're labeled to, but I use Win10 for anything and everything unless I can get away with it so I'll just try to remember to specify that in the future. I'll probably end up skipping next week unless this project takes too long, building a few tube amps for the guitar just for fun and instead of dumping all my money on games since I haven't found many coming out that I remotely care about, but maybe I'll squeeze something in.

Edited by BurritoBeans
  • Like 3

PC (Windows 10)

So yep, that's it. Looking back I realize that a few of my times aren't exactly right - it doesn't matter too much because all of the games do run on the versions of Windows that they're labeled to, but I use Win10 for anything and everything unless I can get away with it so I'll just try to remember to specify that in the future.

You probably said win 10, I try to place the computer games with the lowest OS it’s playable on if I can find that info otherwise we’d have games listed for multiple OS’s that are really the same game ;)

• Like 2

Didn't play anything "modern" last week, but got some times for this one...

PS3

Journey - 247 min (Playing some PS3 exclusives that I missed out on. This one was... interesting... the game itself isn't so much. Many have called it a "walking simulator" but it's not bad. Some exploration involved. I also think it's interesting how they implemented multiplayer. Someone just shows up. You don't know their name and can't talk to them. You just know them by the shape of their "call" or whatever. Then, after it's all over, you see a list of anyone you played with during that run through and see their call sign. I'll play some more, but this was two straight run throughs... two journeys if you will...)

Ni No Kuni - 82 min (Just grinding money and leveling familiars. There's a certain enemy that gives crazy amounts of exp so I'm just running back and forth through that area killing everything and every once in a while that one pops up.)

• Like 3

This week I started out by trying the Browser-based Seedship which was kinda cool as I haven’t played a good text adventure in awhile, its short but well put together.

Then I played a bunch of PS4 and some retro stuff. Most notable is my completion of Limbo and the new addition to my collection (Arcadia 2001)

Browser-based

Seedship – 13min

PS4

Gunscape – 45min

Kill X Demo (VR) – 25min

Limbo – 260min

Necropolis – 15min

Volume – 165min

Volume Coda (VR) - 75min

• Like 2

It was a pretty eventful week around here this past week, with the rather rare happening of a new console getting added to the family gaming center and lots of new games to try on it. After doing a trade deal with a local mom and pop game store we now have a Sega CD to complete the Sega trifecta of the Genesis, 32X, and Sega CD. :)

zn4XrZp.jpg

Ineligible

Doom (Sega 32X) - 68 minutes

Mortal Kombat (Sega CD) - 37 minutes

Mortal Kombat (Sega Genesis) - 121 minutes
Robo Aleste (Sega CD) - 42 minutes
Sewer Shark (Sega CD) - 26 minutes
Silpheed (Sega CD) - 249 minutes
Sonic CD (Sega CD) - 630 minutes

Star Wars Arcade (Sega 32X) - 57 minutes

Nintendo 3DS
StreetPass Mii Plaza - 18 minutes

Nintendo GameCube
Metroid Prime - 66 minutes

Nintendo Wii
Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil - 276 minutes

Total Play Time This Week
1,590 minutes (26 hours 30 minutes) [360 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Sega CD: 984 minutes
Nintendo Wii: 276 minutes
Sega 32X: 125 minutes
Sega Genesis: 121 minutes
Nintendo GameCube: 66 minutes
Nintendo 3DS: 18 minutes

When I first got the Sega CD home and tried out the system it was constantly skipping, crashing, and just plain failing to load the copy of Sewer Shark that came bundled with it much of the time, but fortunately those issues were fairly easy to fix. I gave the laser eye a good cleaning with some isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip then opened up the system, cleaned all the old dried up grease out of the gears that move the laser, then applied fresh white lithium grease to all the gears and a couple drops of 3-in-1 oil to the metal rod the laser moves along. After that Sewer Shark worked perfectly every time with no skipping, crashing, or loading issues; so I decide to set about taking advantage of the Sega CD's lack of copy protection and burned some games for it that I had been wanting to play to CD-R.

You can read about my experiences with Sonic CD and Mortal Kombat here in the Games Beaten In 2018 thread, but for the short version of the story I'll just say that both the misses and I absolutely loved Sonic CD and played through the entire game together twice this week. I think I can safely say that it's now my second favorite Sonic game, second only to Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Mortal Kombat was a bit of a different story, and in spite of it's improved graphics and sound in comparison to the Genesis version I wouldn't recommend the Sega CD version since it is severely hampered by load times at inopportune moments; like right in the middle of a round. It was still fun to play, but I definitely prefer the Genesis version.

Of the other three Sega CD games I tried this week I wasn't very fond of Sewer Shark (though it did have some pretty hilarious voice acting) but it did serve it's purpose as an authentic disc to test the system with, which leaves Silpheed and Robo Aleste to discuss. To put it bluntly, Silpheed may very well end up being my 2018 game of the year. I love absolutely everything about it from the astounding graphics to the fantastic music, frenetic gameplay, power-up system, and overall sense of total awesomeness. The only negative thing I could possibly say about Silpheed it that it is infamous for being very, very picky about disc quality and condition and is prone to disc read errors that force you to restart the level you're on when they happen. My Sega CD plays everything else I've thrown at it without any problems at all, but even after burning 3 copies of Silpheed I still haven't gotten one to work reliably. This is one game that you pretty much need an authentic copy with a scratch-free disc to play reliably, and I will be buying one ASAP because this game is just way too cool.

As far as Robo Aleste (which is the sequel to M.U.S.H.A. on the Genesis) goes, I actually didn't care for it. Maybe I just don't have very refined tastes in shoot 'em ups but I wasn't terribly impressed by the graphics, music, or gameplay. Not that I got to experience much of it though, since the game is so insanely difficult that even on Easy mode I never made it past the beginning of the second stage. I guess it could be a good game if you're into masochistic shooters, but I don't think this one's for me.

That's pretty much it for me this week outside of the hour or so of Metroid Prime that I played before I got my hands on the Sega CD and a bit of time spent testing out a literally brand new official 6 button Genesis controller with Doom for the 32X, and I have to say it was the single greatest digital control pad I've ever used. For the misses' gaming time this past week, other than Sonic CD and the bit of Mortal Kombat on the Genesis and Star Wars Arcade for the 32X that she played with me, she just spent a couple hours here and there finishing up Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil on the Wii. She had a pretty tough time with the last 1/3rd or so of the game due to the extremely limited amount of ammo you get on Hard mode, to the point that she actually had to use the basic handgun against the Tyrant in the final boss battle, but she still managed to see it through to the end and beat it earlier tonight.

Well, that about wraps it up for this week I think! Looking ahead to next week I should probably get back to my game of Metroid Prime on the GameCube, but the temptation to try some more new games on the Sega CD is pretty strong so we'll see how it goes. I know the spousal unit is planning on giving Ecco the Dolphin for our newly acquired Sega CD a try next week, so it's possible we might not have much in the way of modern gaming time to contribute next week either. Who knows what the future holds though, so until next week best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours. :)

• Like 2

^^^^^

Sweet Sega set-up! :) :thumbsup:

For the week:

Destiny 2 (XB1): 43 hours and 59 minutes (2,639 minutes)

Ruiner (XB1): 79 minutes

D/Generation HD (XB1): 341 minutes

D/Generation HD was on sale this week, so decided to take a nostalgia trip. D/Gen HD is a remake of an action-adventure game that appeared on the ST, Amiga and PC back in 1991. Was going to burn through it, but decided to go after some of the achievements, so taking it at a slower pace.

Grinded a little on Ruiner.

Faction week in Destiny and I wanted to grind the new alternate New Monarchy armor set for my Hunter, which I think is really cool. The grind was way longer than I expected. :woozy: Also hit max level on my Hunter and nearing max level on my Titan and Warlock and finished The Curse of Osiris DLC with all three characters. I should also have a complete Brother Vance/Curse of Osiris forged weapon set by the end of next week. Soon it will be time to take a break and maybe go back to another big time sink and play some Elite Dangerous.

My Hunter in the New Monarchy Sovereign Lion Armor

rVGpass.jpg

Edited by Major Havoc 2049
  • Like 3

Here are my times for modern gaming for this week (January 22st through 28th)...

Android:

Crazy Taxi: City Rush - 63 min. in 6 sessions

Browser-based:

Papa's Pancakeria - 152 min. in 5 sessions

SkiFree - 3 min.

Twitch:

Stockstream - 29 min. in 4 sessions

I pretty much continued to play the same games as last week. I hit a roadblock at Crazy Taxi: City Rush since there's a mission I should actually be able to complete, but it doesn't quite work out, at the end I have 415 m left to the goal. In Papa's Pancakeria I unlocked more drinks and ingredients, but there are still some left to unlock.

The only new game I briefly played was SkiFree, in search of Javascript skiing games. This is one, based on a game already written back in 1992 and sold in the MS Entertainment Pack for Windows 3.1. It hasn't changed much since that (except for the language). It's a bit too free for me since from the skiing events shown on TV; I'd expect a tree cut free from trees with flags in between you have to go around. Instead there are trees everywhere and the flags are hard to find. Oh, I just found that MS is selling this game in their app store for Windows 8.1 and 10 (that's the system requirement!), but it's still the same JS version which also runs fine as a browser game on Windows XP. Actually I was looking if there's a Skiing Construction Kit where you could do your own tracks, but I didn't find such a thing. Maybe this was an idea that's still open to write. Maybe you could write a skiing game with SEUCK...

I cut back on gaming a bit this week because my mother's in the hospital, she's suffering from heart problems.

• Like 3

All pc games

Civilization V (I'm working on finishing all the achievements
Tropico 4

Quake III Arena (the graphics are dated, but it's still one of the best death match games around)
Magic 1015 (I can play it for short periods, the solo game is one loaded deck after another, but it still doesn't take long to finish)

I think it's time to try a dungeon crawler for a while

• Like 2

My modern stuff this week was all PS3...

PS3

Just Cause 2 - 30 min (Downloaded this one because it was cheap. Don't really like the controls too much, don't know how much I'll be playing it.)

Ni No Kuni Wrath of the White Witch - 184 min (Advanced the story pretty far, got to the end, defeated the eponymous White Witch, but then got killed by the second end boss... and I saved so long ago... I'm gonna have to go through that again... argghhh! I resisted throwing my PS3 controller. lol)

• Like 2