IGNORED

Legend of Silverpeak RPG

Happy New Year!

I've been working on an RPG title since October, and I thought I'd start off the new year by sharing my progress. It's a fairly expansive title, with a large overworld with towns and dungeons to explore and plenty of turn-based level grinding fun. While the game's basic objectives are in place and the game is playable (and winnable) there is still much work to be done. I'm aware of a few minor issues here and there that still need to be worked out. The most notable area that isn't completed is the planned boss battles in each dungeon, some objects in the game don't do anything yet, how you level up and progress in the game will likely be changed/tweaked, and the graphics are my first attempt and may be changed. The battles at the beginning of the game are very easy, and later on they are probably too difficult. Hundreds of hours of work have already gone into this already, and many design and gameplay choices were made based on compromises related to available hardware resources (especially the attack sequence). I thought it would be a good time to take a short break from it, share my progress, and hopefully hear some feedback.

Saving and Loading your game to the Atarivox is implemented but untested on real hardware. Actually I haven't tried it at all on real hardware yet, just in Mame. The game is 512K, and is currently actually using around 280K of that space. In emulation you'll have to use Mame, Mess, or A7800, and while the AtariVox saves aren't supported in those emulators you can use Mame's save states, which I tested and that seems to work fine. At any time when you're not in the middle of a battle you can press the right fire button to bring up a detailed status screen. There you can save your game, use an item in your inventory, see your location on the overworld map, and review your statistics. In battle, use the left button to attack, and the right button to switch back to the menu at the top to choose alternate options or use items.

Here's the story...

You are Azémar Rehn, a simple woodsman from Mountain Home Grove, a beautiful patch of forest just east of the Silver Mountains. You set out from your homeland to reunite with your Uncle after your father's death. Unfortunately, upon your arrival, your Uncle is no where to be found. A short note is left in the Cabin, but it's not as helpful as you'd like it to be.

You'd heard of the war, and how all the most virtuous crystals that were revered by the people of Midlothia were captured and scattered into the deepest dungeons. They are fiercely guarded by powerful men who are determined to crush the will and spirit of the people. Without their beloved symbols of virtue, the entire realm had been taken over by mercenaries and theives, bent on taking whatever they can for their own selfish gain. No power or virtue of man could ever have deserved that, what has been fated should not have taken place. Feelings of hopelessness and misery abound, and no one has risen to the challenge of ridding the land of these thieves.

No one with good intent, that is. One powerful warrior, who calls himself Nonnag, who's mere prescences strikes fear in the hearts of men, has spread his evil throughout the realm. He created the the Crystal of Wrath, which serves as a beacon for those who serve his evil purposes. It must be captured and destroyed in order to bring peace, light, and life back to Midlothia. The common people are waiting for a hero to emerge. Once who can vanquish the evil, recapture the crystals, and restore the rod of life. Only this man is worthy of being crowned the next King of Midlothia. Great crisis produce great men and great deeds of courage.

The Midlothian army has long disbanded. With their tragic losses and lack of leadership, hope was lost. Soldiers are citizens of death's grey land, drawing no dividend from time's tomorrows. It is now up to Azémar to restore order, to agree to the ultimate sacrifice for the sake of his homeland. As soon as sacrifice becomes a duty and necessity to mankind, there is no limit to the horizon which opens before him. It's time to fulfill your destiny.

I'll leave some additional details for later. :)

LoS.a78

LoS.bin

post-2143-0-11844400-1514822330_thumb.png

post-2143-0-12763200-1514822332_thumb.png

post-2143-0-34775400-1514822333_thumb.png

post-2143-0-70043700-1514822334_thumb.png

post-2143-0-35567100-1514822336_thumb.png

post-2143-0-50776200-1514822337_thumb.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Love the attention you have been giving this title to gameplay and overall mechanics/logic. That is most important. Granted, good graphics and audio are significant, but a lousy playing game will be a lousy playing game, regardless of how great it looks or sounds. This has been developing wonderfully, don't fret the sound (yet). ;) :)

• Like 2

Hi Steve

great work..i like the Ultima style.I was able to check it

on real hardware with my Cuttle cart 2 .

Works well,but i also used Atarivox...however,when saving

by pressing left button,the game crashes....

When loading the game again,i tried to load and it loads,however a totally weird screen.

Hope this helps....keep on the great work

greetings Walter

Edited by gambler172

So is this like Adlez?

Mountain home grove almost sounds like a place I might visit in 35 years. They have shuffleboard on thursdays.

Nah, it's not directly related to Aldez, or any other game for that matter.

Hmmm, maybe I'll add a secret shuffleboard mini-game as an easter egg. :D

For the last month I've really just been working on making changes that keep this within the limitations of the hardware, and as usual when I fix one thing it sometimes breaks another. I just did a quick 2 minute play and I see that the max HP and max Health on the status bar glitches when you're in battle. I've struggled with the attack sequence and made the most compromises in that part of the game. I know exactly what's causing it, but it'll take a while to see what else I can re-arrange or remove to fix it.

Hi Steve

greatwork..i like the Ultima style.I was able to check it

on real hardware with my Cuttle cart 2 .

Works well,but i also used Atarivox...however,when saving

by presding left button,the game crashes....

When loading the game again,i tried to load and it loads,however a totally weird screen.

Hope this helps....keep on the great work

greetings Walter

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, the Atarivox functionality was/is completely untested. I'll of course fix it in a later revision.

I never thought that battery-backed saves would be possible on the 7800.

The 7800 was the first of the 3 (2600, 5200, 7800), that allowed for saves, via the HighScoreCart.

Now, we also have the AtariVox+ and SaveKey option.

Nice work, Maximus. :) Let Al put that in the store, if he doesn't have enough MegaCart boards left, I have a bunch to hold him over.

• Like 4

What emulator are you using to run this? I've tried a couple, and can't get it to work.

I'd recommend the latest versions of either Mame or A7800. This game will not work with ProSystem.

I have the windows command line version of mame installed at c:\mame. If installed there, to launch the game you'd go to a command prompt, type "cd\mame" to switch to that directory, then type in mame64 a7800 -cart LoS.a78 to launch it.

• Like 3

I'd recommend the latest versions of either Mame or A7800. This game will not work with ProSystem.

I have the windows command line version of mame installed at c:\mame. If installed there, to launch the game you'd go to a command prompt, type "cd\mame" to switch to that directory, then type in mame64 a7800 -cart LoS.a78 to launch it.

I tried A7800, but it isn't showing up in the list when I run it. I'm assuming I have to go command-line?

I tried A7800, but it isn't showing up in the list when I run it. I'm assuming I have to go command-line?

The list being seen is an internal (matching) software list, not necessarily a list of all the available ROMs on an individual's computer.

From the link, Atarius Maximus provided, see the portion where it states:

"Getting A System Started:"

01. Double click on "a7800.exe"

02. Arrow key Up or Down to pick either "Atari 7800 (NTSC)" or "Atari 7800 (PAL)" and press the 'Enter' key.

03. Having "[start empty]" highlighted press 'Enter' key.

...and then...

"How To Select A Game:"

01. Having a system already started, press 'Tab' key.

02. Arrow key down to highlight "File Manager" and press 'Enter' key.

03. Arrow key down to highlight "cartridge (cart)" and press 'Enter' key.

04. Arrow key down and up to select ROM [path] and press 'Enter' key to select.

Alternatively, a pictorial guide provided by NIKON can be utilized. If that second method doesn't seem appealing, see the download archive containing batch files from here as a third method, which automatically handles "Getting a System Started:"

• Like 1

The list being seen is an internal matching software list, not necessarily a list of all the available ROMs on an individual's computer.

From the link, Atarius Maximus provided, see the portion where it states:

"Getting A System Started:"

...and then...

"How To Select A Game:"

Alternatively, the pictorial guide provided by NIKON can be utilized from the same thread in this post. If that second method doesn't seem appealing, see the download archive containing batch files from here as a third method, which automatically handles "Getting a System Started:"

Duh. File manager.

:dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

I have long hoped that one day someone would fill in the mile wide genre gap on the 7800 with some kind of RPG that would drain away untold hours of the player's life like Final Fantasy on the NES or Phantasy Star on the Master System, and this game looks well on it's way to doing just that! I'll be looking forward to seeing how work on it progresses and play testing at some point soon when I'm not neck deep in Pokémon Ultra Sun. :D

• Like 1