IGNORED

CLEANING 2600

godsey1

Hi all,

I have a question about cleaning the cartridge port on the 2600. This is the place where the cart goes. I have seen on a bunch of sites of how to clean the carts, but not this port. Has anyone cleaned their outer case with baby oil? I have a non-working system and tried this, so far it looks great, but some of the oil has not dried yet. I used a good bit, I'll try another and see how it turns out.

With Baby Oil?

As far as the port goes, I don't think that it really needs to be cleaned. The contacts on the carts though are always in need of it though. And you would want to use Rubbing Alcohol and a Q-Tip. YOu think your ears get dirty, put rubbing alcohol on a q-tip and then clean the contacts. Your ears don't have that much gunk in them

Thanks for the info INKY. As bad as the contacts look on the carts, I just thought that the port would need it also. OH WELL. The baby oil makes the case shine. If you have an old case laying around, try putting just a DAB on it rub it in good, wait a little while and rub it with a dry cloth. The biggest problem that I have found, is getting it out of the ribs( you know, the dust collectors on the 2600. Thanks again for the reply.

Tony

I usually clean the cartridge slot by wrapping a piece of paper towel or tissue around a thin straight screwdriver and wetting that with alcohol. This does a pretty good job at cleaning the contacts in the slot.

As for cleaning the top cover, if you are worried about the decal coming off, that portion of the cover actually snaps off so you can take it off before washing the rest of the cover.

Dan

The paper napking and the flat screwdriver makes a good job. But when things get ugly, I don't hesite to sand paper the contacts (sofly) That maked work a brainstorming cart that I've found in the thirft... That and a can of compressed air

[ 09-04-2001: Message edited by: osbo ]

• 2 weeks later...

I just cover the decals with masking tape and use some Formula 409 on the casing. Cleans it SHINY! and eats the dust out of the grooves with minimal work. As far as the guts of the system, I use compressed air for most of it, but clean the contacts on the cart reader with an old tshirt and an eyeglass screwdriver. Works great and leaves no lint. Baby oil and armor all attract too much dust for my likes.