IGNORED

New Year, New Jaguar Games

PikoInteractive

Not sure how well this has held up, but RBI 2 for the ST looks like it might be fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOqicvs9uDA

Not sure if the ST ever received TV Sports Baseball aka Bo Jackson Baseball - but that's a good game on the Amiga. Then there's World Series/Championship Baseball and MicroLeague Baseball, but... :sleep:

Ah, yes. Two was way better than 1 on the nes. However this looks far less fun than the nes version. Unfortunately.

Well, MicroProse is on the list, so maybe this would make a good candidate?:

From technology standpoint, absolutely.

From licensing & content standpoint - it's a potential nightmare. Racing games sporting real-world teams have a dark history (there were some articles - if memory serves right - on Gamasutra) of crazy requirements of what you can and cannot do with a car of a specific team, and especially what you absolutely MUST do, what the track must contain, and so on.

Besides, Jaguar already has WTR, which set the bar pretty high (other than the unfortunate requirement of texturing slowdown by Atari), so this wouldn't really be bringing anything new to the jag's library.

I also seriously doubt they obtained an active F1 license (even if it was limited to teams of year ~1992). Those things are quite expensive (for a good reason).

A title like this makes commercial sense when the platform is new and hot and you can realistically expect to sell tens of thousands of copies.

But what can we realistically expect now ? 2-3 hundred ? That wouldn't cover the cost of development of the formula physics component with all the garage tweaking...

Arcade physics (say, like in Captured Flag) is however totally realistic for me to implement in free time (and that can be reused not only for car racing, but also for sci-fi racer - something like a Wipeout). Besides, I never played F1 much anyway...

Can you find some arcade / sci-fi racer there ? Accolade & GT had something like that in their library (of course, doesn't mean those specific ones were obtained by Piko and that they'd be sublicensed)...

• Like 1

From technology standpoint, absolutely.

From licensing & content standpoint - it's a potential nightmare. Racing games sporting real-world teams have a dark history (there were some articles - if memory serves right - on Gamasutra) of crazy requirements of what you can and cannot do with a car of a specific team, and especially what you absolutely MUST do, what the track must contain, and so on.

Besides, Jaguar already has WTR, which set the bar pretty high (other than the unfortunate requirement of texturing slowdown by Atari), so this wouldn't really be bringing anything new to the jag's library.

I also seriously doubt they obtained an active F1 license (even if it was limited to teams of year ~1992). Those things are quite expensive (for a good reason).

A title like this makes commercial sense when the platform is new and hot and you can realistically expect to sell tens of thousands of copies.

But what can we realistically expect now ? 2-3 hundred ? That wouldn't cover the cost of development of the formula physics component with all the garage tweaking...

Arcade physics (say, like in Captured Flag) is however totally realistic for me to implement in free time (and that can be reused not only for car racing, but also for sci-fi racer - something like a Wipeout). Besides, I never played F1 much anyway...

Can you find some arcade / sci-fi racer there ? Accolade & GT had something like that in their library (of course, doesn't mean those specific ones were obtained by Piko and that they'd be sublicensed)...

Yeah, forgot about the license issue. Well i think we better wait for Piko to mention what racing games they obtained.

Only Racing game we got is Oceans Burning Rubber. Is not on any immediate list to port just yet though :)

Ahh and Death Kartz by Beam.

https://youtu.be/MixXYnw58KA

An impressive enough WEC LeMans clone, at times for an 8 bit system..colourful, nice sprite scaling..but no, not quite what Jaguar fans have been crying out for perhaps? :-))

Maybe potential 7800 XM project?.

;-)

Maybe we will get a chance to see games that were announced/rumored:

Gunship 2000 - Microprose

Hardball 3 - Accolade

Alone in the Dark - Infogrames

I'm sure there are more but these were the first ones to come to mind.

• Like 1

You know what I think would be fantastic? An updated version of Silent Service.

Right On ! Matter of fact, last few weeks I've been playing Silent Service I, actually...

Something tells me, though, that if a game of that caliber was acquired, we'd already know about it ...

But, if there was a full source code available (for all the physics and game modes), I'd happily merge it with my 3D engine (and create all 3D assets), for a proper jaguar-worthy, title!

• Like 2

Maybe we will get a chance to see games that were announced/rumored:

Gunship 2000 - Microprose

Hardball 3 - Accolade

Alone in the Dark - Infogrames

I'm sure there are more but these were the first ones to come to mind.

No idea about Hardball 3..

Never found a shred of evidence regarding AITD. .but it would be nice to have it confirmed or denied by a trustworthy source if it's out there.

Gunship 2000 was started..It didn't get beyond early 3D models..but work was started..I had an industry contact who's friends with the Jaguar coder confirm that..

So sadly even if Piko had secured it..it wouldn't of been a viable project, having been abandoned so early on.

• Like 1

Not trying to force your hand, but it might be an idea to post the titles to which you have acquired rights. You might get help or, at the very least, a gauge of the public interest or excitement surrounding each game.

Oh, come on now ! There's at least 213 games in those catalogs we haven't mentioned yet !

Don't kill our dreams, dude!

• Like 1

Not trying to force your hand, but it might be an idea to post the titles to which you have acquired rights. You might get help or, at the very least, a gauge of the public interest or excitement surrounding each game.

I'll post names of games when they announced; it is best to do it this way to no stress out the devs ;)

• Like 2

Right On ! Matter of fact, last few weeks I've been playing Silent Service I, actually...

Something tells me, though, that if a game of that caliber was acquired, we'd already know about it ...

But, if there was a full source code available (for all the physics and game modes), I'd happily merge it with my 3D engine (and create all 3D assets), for a proper jaguar-worthy, title!

Ha, now I'm on a hunt to see if that would be possible. Actually that's not a bad idea at all for your 3D engine, I mean we have a couple racers already, but hardly any system out there has a submarine simulator anymore. You know what game I think would be great to see on the Jaguar? Final Legacy from the 8-bit. http://www.steveenglehart.com/Games/Final%20Legacy.html Whoa, that page shows it came out for the ST too...

• Like 1