IGNORED

New Year, New Jaguar Games

PikoInteractive

I enjoyed Impossamole on the ST, don't understand all the haters.

I think there are a number of factors,especially when it's UK press reaction or by fans of earlier games in the series like myself.

Expectation basically.

We hadn't seen a new instalment for a long while, the build up promised a return to the series finest hour and seemed to be in the ideal hands, via Core Design.

Rick Dangerous II simply seemed the better game and Impossamole seemed a little too much like Core trying to do nes style platform games on the home micros (i'm not a fan of likes of Viking Child or Zool either).

I think we had our own ideas of what we wanted from a new Monty Mole game and Impossamole wasn't it.

Whether or not one of the releases is Impossamole, I'm not sure I understand the hate either. I've never played it before, but looking up clips of it, I can't see why it wouldn't be a welcome addition to the system.. afraid it's gonna take time away from Supercross 3D or Checkered Flag? (Sorry bad Jag games, you know I love you, kind of.)

It probably would be far better received on Jaguar, as it sounds like it's very much an unknown to many.

It's just the tiresome predictably of YT comments sections etc these days when old ST and Amiga games are released on Jaguar.

The ports are described as lazy and aren't pushing the system...

These games belong on the NES,Genesis and SNES..

They are over priced...

Wahhhh it's not 3D..

We should be seeing Piko buy up unfinished commercial Jaguar games,getting them finished and released instead etc...

I dunno...as an outsider looking in, some of the more vocal complaints seem to bypass reality.

It's been made clear the sheer amount of work needed just to get ST and Amiga code running on the Jaguar...Just because the systems shared a 68000 chip,doesn't make bringing them to Jaguar a cake walk for anyone trying to do so.

It's also well established that a lot of unfinished Jaguar code has been lost or was in the earliest stages of development, a few 3D models, maybe part of the 1st level completed etc, it would be a herculean effort to get games finished and for what?

People to tut and say it's only 2D, doesn't push system, should of ensured games A-Z were released instead?.

I'm genuinely surprised at times people still bother to bring new titles to Jaguar instead of say Dreamcast etc.

The irony of the YT comments section these days never fails to escape me.

Bringing 3 classic Jeff Minter games to a 64 bit system like Jaguar is apparently waste of hardwares potential...

But bringing 8/16 bit versions of Palace Software's Barbarian (Aka Death Sword, Epyx in USA) to a 128 bit system like the Dreamcast, isn't in the same boat?.

If it means people get to play and enjoy games they missed the 1st time around or want to rediscover on a format of choice, who cares what year and on what platforms it was originally released?

• Like 1

:-))

And didn't people want 2D titles like:

Mortal Kombat 2 and III

Conan

Earthworm Jim

Heart Of Darkness

Tiny Toons

Etc etc on the Jaguar?.

You and everybody else are welcome to go after those licenses =D. I think Earthworm Jim was selling for 10 Million recently.

Edited by PikoInteractive
  • Like 1

I have never understood the love for Earthworm Jim myself.

I had it on Mega Drive and like many of Dave Perry's titles from that era, you cannot fault it's production values, he and his team really knew the hardware inside out, but it just didn't appeal.

Tried it again many years later when it appeared on PS3..same reaction.

It just makes me chuckle seeing the rage on various online sites saying ST to Jaguar ports aren't proper Jaguar games.

On Playstation i loved the Retro Compilations with Bubble Bobble, Strider, etc on them. Were these not proper PS1 games?

On PS3 via PSN i bought:

Final Fight

Gunstar Heroes

Sonic CD

EWJ

Streets Of Rage II

Alien Breed

All 16 bit titles

Also:

Rampart

Impossible Mission (8 bit title).

So why certain aspects of the Jaguar community get so precious over old games being made avaiable is beyond me.

• Like 1

I have never understood the love for Earthworm Jim myself.

I had it on Mega Drive and like many of Dave Perry's titles from that era, you cannot fault it's production values, he and his team really knew the hardware inside out, but it just didn't appeal.

Tried it again many years later when it appeared on PS3..same reaction.

It just makes me chuckle seeing the rage on various online sites saying ST to Jaguar ports aren't proper Jaguar games.

On Playstation i loved the Retro Compilations with Bubble Bobble, Strider, etc on them. Were these not proper PS1 games?

On PS3 via PSN i bought:

Final Fight

Gunstar Heroes

Sonic CD

EWJ

Streets Of Rage II

Alien Breed

All 16 bit titles

Also:

Rampart

Impossible Mission (8 bit title).

So why certain aspects of the Jaguar community get so precious over old games being made avaiable is beyond me.

Well, in my mind (and yes I know it's technically MUCH more difficult to do this) but I'd like to see the real arcade ports instead of the arcade ported to the ST ported to the Jaguar.

Granted, that only applies to the games where they are significantly better in the arcade. Most ST arcade ports either looked pretty terrible, or close, but with lots of dithering. Though they have been cleaned up a lot in the process, and I still should have ordered Joust and Gauntlet when I had the chance....

Two pages of talk about [something] Impossamole and not one YT link ?

WTF ?

I admit, I initially though it's some kind of internal joke or something, surely a game wouldn't be given such a name ?

• Like 1

Thank you !

It looks cute, I give it that.

Was it famous, back in the day ? While I didn't buy any ST-specific mags, the local gaming magazines did have an ST section (few pages), and I'm sure I never heard or saw this one.

But you said it was Impossamole!

This is all your fault.

SwedenLynxer, on 20 Mar 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

Given the hint on the last page in the Switchblade manual, I'm guessing Impossamole is coming to the Jaguar.

Ahem..it was actually this post that started the discussion...

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It probably would be far better received on Jaguar, as it sounds like it's very much an unknown to many.

It's just the tiresome predictably of YT comments sections etc these days when old ST and Amiga games are released on Jaguar.

The ports are described as lazy and aren't pushing the system...

These games belong on the NES,Genesis and SNES..

They are over priced...

Wahhhh it's not 3D..

We should be seeing Piko buy up unfinished commercial Jaguar games,getting them finished and released instead etc...

I dunno...as an outsider looking in, some of the more vocal complaints seem to bypass reality.

It's been made clear the sheer amount of work needed just to get ST and Amiga code running on the Jaguar...Just because the systems shared a 68000 chip,doesn't make bringing them to Jaguar a cake walk for anyone trying to do so.

It's also well established that a lot of unfinished Jaguar code has been lost or was in the earliest stages of development, a few 3D models, maybe part of the 1st level completed etc, it would be a herculean effort to get games finished and for what?

People to tut and say it's only 2D, doesn't push system, should of ensured games A-Z were released instead?.

This.

I'm genuinely surprised at times people still bother to bring new titles to Jaguar instead of say Dreamcast etc.

I can't speak about the DC community, but I do know the MD one and you'll find the same nonsense if not worse.

People simply don't seem to understand that a healthy and thriving community has to be built brick by brick; it takes years and years, tons of work hours from very passionate individuals and it can still fail if people put too much negativity into it.

Edited by Barone
  • Like 3

@Barone: Your comments:'I can't speak about the DC community, but I do know the MD one and you'll find the same nonsense if not worse.

People simply don't seem to understand that a healthy and thriving community has to be built brick by brick; it takes years and years, tons of work hours from very passionate individuals and it can still fail if people put too much negativity into it.'

Made for very interesting reading.

Do you mind if i ask what kind of nonsense blights the MD development community?

I only ask,as being an ex-MD owner myself, here was a platform with a rich catalogue of games,fantastic developer support and whose hardware really was pushed to the limit.

So what issues are people having with the homebrew games people are developing?.

Or is it just the usual sadder parts of human nature coming out? Jealously and insecurity?.

It's a bit of an eye opener for myself to find the Sega community suffering the same if not worse than the Atari one.

No wonder so many are getting out.

It could become a very long and wide answer but I'll try to keep it simple.

It's not rare to see community members (I'm talking mostly based on my Sega-16 membership but it's not a knock on the forums themselves) thrashing games they never played just 'cause the aesthetics of the game isn't on par with the Virgin/Shiny/Core/Treasure/Konami/Sega releases on the system.

There's also a rather blasé response to releases which don't have premium packaging (this bs pretty much started with Pier Solar's release) and which are not promoted with a hype-based campaign.

The few games which do generate interest will rarely be discussed in terms of gameplay during their development and once released people boast about owning them but rarely if ever discuss about how it is to actually play them.

And I'm summarizing it with lots of cuts.

It's also not limited to homebrew; the response to some of Piko's releases have been lukewarm to put it mildly.

And, no, I'm talking about hyping each and every game nor being a puppet of the publishers; but it shocks me how so much of it has become style over substance; collecting over playing; owning over sharing; aesthetics over gameplay.

To finish this post I'd like to pinpoint a few examples:

• We have a years-running campaign promote by goldenband (he's a member here too) for the community to try and play the whole MD library. Year after year the participation has diminished to the point that now we're these half-dozen guys sharing experiences with ourselves while the rest of the community is arguing over politics, PS4 and Xbox One releases.
  • Paprium is a vaporware by the failing WaterMelon which gathers far more attention than any other game in actual development or nearing release 'cause:
    1) It's supposed to deliver "Neo Geo-like graphics" (a complete bs, by the way)
    2) Have a packaging even superior to Pier Solar's
    3) Be an 80 Mbit cartridge game
    This "game" has been in development for 6 years and not a single real hardware footage of it has been released. But dare you say something negative about its "graphics".
  • Meanwhile, Piko is releasing "crap" old Amiga games such as Custodian (they don't even know it's a complete rewrite for the MD, they didn't bother to ask nor will they articulate any argument on why it's crap) and have a pretty solid Beat'em Up in stock called "Water Margin" that nobody cares or discusses about.
    MD's Duke Nukem 3D is too difficult to even bother while having instant saves despite painfully hard games such as Chakan being supposed cult classics of the Genesis ('cause someone said so).

Of course it's not everyone like that; but it's far more prevalent now than years ago as much as I don't want to admit it.

I believe things like gaming youtubers, collecting games as a mainstream hobby and the always-growing console wars mentality have a lot to do with it.

Edited by Barone
  • Like 2