IGNORED

HSC Season 15 Welcome and Games List

High Score Club Season 15

Firstly welcome to everyone, if you suck at games, are great at games, only have a joystick that moves upwards and has a dodgy fire button, we want YOU here :party:

There is a new round every two weeks, usually starting on a Sunday; all you have to do is play the game and post a score. If you want to get involved and comment on the games then that's great too.

We'll share tips on how to play and improve your scores, find bugs and ususual features or versions, probably a bonus game or two here and there usually related to the main title.

Games List / Polls

Use this thread to suggest up to 10 games (not 11 not 20!) you'd like to see played: Make #1 The game you really want to be played and #10 something you have not played before or for a long time. If you have an idea for a special round e.g. "Play a bunch of Frogger clones" or something then post that too.

I'll pick from your selections for a Poll and you can all vote for the game to be played. This season we will make each poll multi-selection so you can vote for as many games as you wish. The runner-up game will go into the next poll, the others will go back into the bucket!

The first poll will start as soon as I have 5 games that are good for everyone to play and Round #1 will start Sunday 14th Jan - 31st, slightly longer than 2 weeks to give everyone time to know we are here. Any questions just post or message me.

Prizes What we don't have prizes?! We'll I have a couple in my Atari warehouse: An Interface with a Hard Drive (XL/XE) and boxed "Rain of Terror" that could be yours. Perhaps one for the winner and one drawn between the top 10 players at the end of the season.

Please Join In it's fun and we have a good crowd (here's where 3 is a crowd) of players!

Jason erm I mean trbb (stay in character) now where's my pixellated hat gone :D

• Like 3

Sounds like fun! I've been meaning to get back into a high score club. Here are my picks:

1. Captain Beeble
  2. Roundabout
  3. Rainbow Walker
  4. Busy Baby
  5. Mr. Robot and His Robot Factory
  6. Speedway Blast
  7. Shadow World
  8. Firefleet
  9. Avalanche (APX)
  10. Guardians of the Gorn
Edited by graywest
  • Like 1

Here's my list of 10 (had to cut it down, which took quite some time.) :)

1. Star Raiders (along with The Last Starfighter.) I've got some ideas on how we can score this, TRBB. ;)

2. Captain Beeble

3. Bounty Bob Strikes Back (I came close to beating you the last time we played this, TRBB...I want another crack at it. :)

4. Jumpman Jr.

5. Berzerk & K-Razy Shootout

6. White Circus (in honor of the upcoming Winter Olympics.)

7. Preppie I and II

8. Scrolls of Abadon

9. Wargames

10. Way Out (Series of Mazes you have to navigate out of.)

Edited by Deteacher
  • Like 2

after 3 years of medical hell and a house move I wanna try and play at least a few rounds this year. It may only be on a Raspberry Pi though, not much space in the new gaff for all my retro stuff, it's all in the attic for the foreseeable

• Like 1

Here's my list of 10 (had to cut it down, which took quite some time.) :)

1. Star Raiders (along with The Last Starfighter.) I've got some ideas on how we can score this, TRBB. ;)

2. Captain Beeble

3. Bounty Bob Strikes Back (I came close to beating you the last time we played this, TRBB...I want another crack at it. :)

4. Jumpman Jr.

5. Berzerk & K-Razy Shootout

6. Star League Baseball (Need more sports games in here.)

7. Preppie I and II

8. Scrolls of Abadon

9. Wargames

10. Way Out (Series of Mazes you have to navigate out of.)

I love the Preppie! games and BBSB , I do suck at them though

I assume some games require a multi cart?

You can run games from e.g. a SIO2SD, an AtariMax or if you have neither, even emulation in e.g. Altirra is fully accepted in the HSC. In an ideal world, you'd already own every Atari game ever released in original form but unfortunately the world is far from ideal.

After a lot of consideration (haha), I've put together my 10 picks:

1. Trailblazer

2. Mogul Maniac

3. Spy Hunter (HSC 10)

4. Bruce Lee (HSC 10)

5. Deflektor

6. Mad Stone

7. LOCO (HSC 5)

8. Tower Toppler (if it is playable at all?)

9. Wizard of Wor (HSC 5)

10. Gridrunner

@Deteacher: I found some winter themed games on Atarimania, of which some might be worth checking out.

Winter Olympics (Tynesoft 1987) - score 3.5 so perhaps best avoided

Winter Events (Anco 1988) - score 6.7

Winter Olympiad (Tynesoft 1988) - score 7.4

Winter Challenge (Thunder Mountain 1988) - score 7.5, this is the US version of Winter Olympiad

Circo Bianco (Lindasoft 1987) - score 9.3 (in Italian!!)

The latter seems like an Italian bootleg of Winter Games. If it plays just as well as the Epyx game is hard to tell from screenshots but 16 people can't possibly have voted it to 9.3 just for kicks.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 3

O.K. My "wish list" for quick ;)

1. Alley Cat (as always)

2. Defender (as... You know ;P) and Drop Zone as onus game

3. The Lone Raider (thx orpheuswalking, I forgot about this game)

4. Road Race (hmm, maybe some track or multi-track for score...?)

5. Scyscraper

6. Bosconian

7. Matta Blatta

8. Panic Express

9. Sea Wolf II - short, but great game. As bonus: Blowsub

10 Trix (I really like this game...)

and many, many more...

• Like 1

Thanks for inviting me back. I tend to start the Atari HSC season and then fall away and play other systems (currently I'm playing the Arcadia 2001/MPT-03 console and, of course, the Astrocade from time to time). I'll try to stick through this entire season (he says with his fingers crossed).

Here are my ten game picks, listed in order of play preference, for this season:

1. Gold Mine (1983) (Spectravideo) - Wonderfully addictive! Everyone should play this game!
  2. River Rescue (1983) (Thorn EMI) - This one looks like a sideways River Raid, but it's so much more than that.
  3. DungeonLords (1988) (Brian Bradley) - Great ML type-in game. Is it the best type-in game ever?!? Yes!
  4. Oil's Well (1983) (Sierra On-Line) - Pac-Man-ish, collect the underground dots. This game eventually gets far too fast to play for me, but I'd love to see how others fair in this game.
  5. Nibbler (1983) (Datasoft) - After semi-recently watching the Man vs. Snake documentary about this arcade game, it will be fun to see how this one holds up on the good old Atari.
  6. Qix (1982) (Atari) - 5200 port, not the slow, original Atari home computer port.
  7. Turmoil (1982) (Sirius Software) - Simple shooter.
  8. Mountain King (1983) (CBS Software) - I like the VCS version. Is the Atari home computer version deeper or is it just a simple port?
  9. Zorro (1985) (Datamost) - Let's play the disk version, not the shorter tape version. A great adventure game, but I'm not sure how well this fits into the HSC.
  10. Quick Step (1983) (Imagic) - This is a great two-player game, but I'm not sure how fun this is in one-player vs. computer mode. Maybe this could be a bonus game along with some other two-player games?

My idea for a special round is to play a few games from only one (non-magazine) 1980s type-in program book compilation. There are so many of these sort of books to choose from that there must be at least one that has some fun stuff in it! I'm up for playing games written in BASIC, ML, Action or... whatever. Maybe bonus points can be awarded to anyone who types in a game that hasn't yet been archived?

Adam

• Like 1

I'd really love to see a 50/50 mix of old and new games, with "new" defined as let's say anything published after 2000 or even 2010.

I don't really know a lot of picks for "new"

"Old" games - I mostly picked interesting sounding ones I don't really know:

• Shamus+ (OK, I am biased on this one but as I have added the tournament mode I would really like to know how far the master gamers will make it there)
  • White Circus
  • Hard Hat Mack
  • SCRAM - if it is actually "playable", maybe as a bonus game
  • International Karate - maybe an updated version
  • Qix
  • Crush, Crumble & Chomp

"New" Games:

• Atari Blast
  • RGB
  • At Arion Line (would match nicely with the ASCII Galaxian)

For Bonus games I propose an "international season". Atarimania advanced search allows to search by country and having bonus games from all the "small" countries not that renowned for spewing out Atari software might be fun. I have tried a few so far and found some interesting sounding stuff like the Asteroids emulator from Austria, Lunar Lander from Switzerland or "America's Cup" from Australia.

Edited by slx
  • Like 1

You can run games from e.g. a SIO2SD, an AtariMax or if you have neither, even emulation in e.g. Altirra is fully accepted in the HSC. In an ideal world, you'd already own every Atari game ever released in original form but unfortunately the world is far from ideal.

:) :) :)

It's nice to imagine pushing back from one's computer desk, turning round to the library shelves, running one's finger over the spines of countless game boxes murmuring titles until finding the right one, then saying "I feel like playing this from cassette on an NTSC 400 today" and sliding back to the right machine, sitting there in the beige "early" section of the desk...(in a perfect world wife would say "care for a cup of tea while that cassette loads?" and you could answer "great, I'll grab the Antic issue with the review while it brews" :grin:)

• Like 2

Ok, I didn't know that Circo Bianco even was translated to English. I suppose that is a given HSC game this year, perhaps combined with some other winter sports game.

HSC round 1: January 14-31

HSC round 2: January 31 - February 11 ?? (shorter than normal unless the first round ends on the 28 as usual)

HSC round 3: February 11-25 to coincide with the Olympics?

Edited by carlsson