IGNORED

Thoughts on Xenoblades Chronicles 2 after finishing the game

Mephitblue

I figured I'd put up my thoughts on Xenoblades Chronicles 2 for anyone thinking about picking it up.

First, I really enjoyed Xenoblades Chronicles 2. I found the world interesting and really enjoyed the characters and stories. The combat is enjoyable, once you get far enough to have all advanced combat tricks enabled. The world is beautiful, with each area having its own unique feel.

That said, Xenoblades has a lot flaws as well. The map doesn't work well and it can be difficult to find where you need to go on it. The process of bonding new blades, a key element to the game play, is cumbersome and the chance of getting a useful blade when you go through the process is low. Important information on combat is provided only once, and then is hidden behind an in game currency paywall. Side quests can be frustrating. many of the later side quests require unique blade abilities they you may not have, and you don't find out about until you already spent an hour or two on the quest.

Despite its flaws, I kept playing the game. I was invested enough in the characters and the story to keep going even when I ran into frustrating situations in the game. If you enjoy traditional JRPGs, and especially games that have a strong narrative, I'd suggest overlooking Xenoblades flaws and giving it a try. If JRPGs aren't your thing, or you don't have a lot of time to invest in a game, then I suggest passing on Xenoblades Chronicles 2. Xenoblades is not a game that respects your time, and while it has open world elements, it is still a traditional, linear JRPG at its heart.