IGNORED

2 New games started. AL-Bert and Lunar Rescue

1980gamer

Can you guess what these ORIGINAL games are like? LOL

Anyway, Al-Bert currently lets you finish 3 levels. The first enemy, a jumping spider, is not yet active.

So, you should be able to complete each level... LOL. You can "die" be falling off an edge, but lives do not decremented at this time.

Move AL with E,S,D,X keys. I should change this to joystick....

Lunar Rescue, This is playable... I have it set to the EASY level only. You have to be falling at slower than "6" mph or some other rate of speed, I haven't defined yet. Landing safely on a pad will score you points as displayed minus how hard you land.

This is Joystick only. Press up for vertical thrust. Left/Right for horizontal and Down, to accelerate decent..Why? Maybe needed?

Press in any direction to start a round.

The idea for this game is to also rendezvous with supply ships and rescue astronauts floating in space.

Why are they floating... Because you have to rescue something, or the name of the game cannot be lunar rescue!

Hope you like the start of these.

LAND-C.zip

Edited by 1980gamer
  • Like 4

Going to like this... Quite a bit.

My comments:

1. The al*bert motion is fantastic.

2. when al*bert dies, he reappears before the death is finished. Guess the guy is excited to take over for his friend?

3. I was unable to land successfully

4. what is the purpose of L= in the display? Could you make is to that L=XXX doesn't shift when the alt goes down / up? Maybe right justifying altitude would be good.

5. Inertia on left/right would be great. Otherwise, too easy.

Going to like this... Quite a bit.

My comments:

1. The al*bert motion is fantastic.

2. when al*bert dies, he reappears before the death is finished. Guess the guy is excited to take over for his friend?

3. I was unable to land successfully

4. what is the purpose of L= in the display? Could you make is to that L=XXX doesn't shift when the alt goes down / up? Maybe right justifying altitude would be good.

5. Inertia on left/right would be great. Otherwise, too easy.

Thanks for the feedback.

1. I like the motion as well. I am a huge Q*Bert fan, so I want to do something along these lines...

2. Yes, He does fall past the level of a new cube, but it is very quick... the plan is to fall off the screen and thud.

3, Lander, I have practiced a lot I guess. I slowed it down by a third to make it easier... Maybe I need to slow it some more?

4. L=x is a trouble shooting variable. Not displayed in the final game, It is how many pixels from the left of the screen you are.

5. The left/tight inertia needs to be tweaked. You can see it is already in the program if you press left or right for an extended period,

your ship will keep going and slowly slow down. However, when I compiled, it really gets back to zero velocity quick! Just need to tweak it a little.

Well, i really prefer the LAND-C ! wow it is so fluid !
i also noted that if you take a lot of speed in left or right direction it will automatically change at the opposite direction, is it a bug ?

I am certain it is an overflow. I have not added horizontal velocity limits yet. Just vertical limits. For example, the ship can only fall at a max of 20.

I hope to work on this tonight after work. I have been a little bit TI motivated of late. after about a year and a half of not working on any projects...

I have 4 games in progress and trying to figure out background music. As long as I don't get stuck on all fronts at once, I'll keep working on these.

• Like 1

Thanks metalbabble,

I would like to do different layouts. When AL jumps,. at the end of his arc, if no block exists...he falls.

So any configuration would work ( that allows AL to safely reach another block at least. ) I would also need to start him on a block as well :)

I still need to figure out how the bad guys work? Does the spider jump randomly and SHOOT a web in the direction of AL? I don't know yet...

I don't want it to be exactly Q*Bert or Q*Bert Cubes. Though I enjoy both games.

Lander has had a few tweaks, I need to post it. I have a few ideas I want to put in places, but it may be worth posting an update by the end of the weekend.

Be well.

PS. I like your 2600 games! I am impressed with how well they play and how retro they feel. 1980 all over again!

I also like that they are original games. Not like mine, I guess I don't have that good of an imagination?

• Like 1

Hmmm, now I need to cleanup my vintage computer section, transfer over Al-bert and give it a whirl. I did a Q*bert clone a long while back (like 30 years, sigh), and in 2014 uploaded an updated version of it here. I continued to do some updates to it (not yet uploaded here) and have ideas for more things to add.

My main issue, naturally, is the base speed of XB. Gameplay is ok'ish, but won't be if I continue to add features. May be time to look at compiling it, but that would mean some significant code rework I think.

In any case, you're post has prodded me to get off my ass and revisit my old game.

For giggles, here's a link to my old thread. The file attached there is not the newest version, I did major updates to the layout and gameplay since then.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229614-presenting-rbert-a-game-i-did-30-years-ago/?do=findComment&comment=3078516

Hmmm, now I need to cleanup my vintage computer section, transfer over Al-bert and give it a whirl. I did a Q*bert clone a long while back (like 30 years, sigh), and in 2014 uploaded an updated version of it here. I continued to do some updates to it (not yet uploaded here) and have ideas for more things to add.

My main issue, naturally, is the base speed of XB. Gameplay is ok'ish, but won't be if I continue to add features. May be time to look at compiling it, but that would mean some significant code rework I think.

In any case, you're post has prodded me to get off my ass and revisit my old game.

For giggles, here's a link to my old thread. The file attached there is not the newest version, I did major updates to the layout and gameplay since then.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229614-presenting-rbert-a-game-i-did-30-years-ago/?do=findComment&comment=3078516

I like your graphics, sounds and the pyramid looks great too.

I cannot figure out the controls though? I did move in all directions, but not consistently. ( I know it is Joystick 2 and alpha lock off )

I tried overdrive on classic99 but that didn't help.

If you could rewrite so it can compile, it would be awesome.

I didn't look it over, so I don't know how much of a challenge it would be?

I really should upload the updated version. I've made the sprites 1/2 size so that I could redo the pyramid at a better scale. It is the same layout (size wise) as the original Q*bert board.

As for the joystick, hold it so that it's rotated counter-clockwise 45 degrees, so that "up" is pointing North West. Not all joysticks do diagonals well, so I stuck with up/down/left/right but held the stick at an angle to compensate.

But for now, just a simple screen capture with my phone, showing the difference between 1.5 (uploaded on this site) and 2 (not yet uploaded).

rb15

rb20

• Like 2