IGNORED

install SCSI2SD in Atari SH204

PK-DC

I wish i could help. i had an SH204 years ago. served me good when my STe was still my main machine.

i do have a SCSI2SD adapter that i ordered for my TT, which is going to be tested now with MSTE and Stacy for compatibility purposes.

i also have an SH205 that is in unknown working condition, but i didn´t even think to try the SCSI2SD there.

i thought these old drives used pre-SCSI technology, but i did read some forum posts that people were sucessfull in installing 200MB SCSI drives on SH204s, so...

sorry i can´t be more helpful.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Best best electronics has NOS if you want to replace a drive. ;) ;)

I meant are there any adapters that could be used in the place of the antiquated RLL stuff? Are there any adapters that could be plugged in or soldered on the SH204's board so it could be useful with more recent tech? SCSI? IDE?

I meant are there any adapters that could be used in the place of the antiquated RLL stuff? Are there any adapters that could be plugged in or soldered on the SH204's board so it could be useful with more recent tech? SCSI? IDE?

Oh, OK, I have read about a RLL to SD card but it's pricey.

https://www.drem.info/buy

Edited by walter_J64bit

Oh, OK, I have read about a RLL to SD card but it's pricey.

https://www.drem.info/buy

Something tells me they are aiming for desperate industrial customers with ancient hardware that's still working but require RLL/MFM devices. Surely the VGA output and keyboard ports aren't the reason why that sucker is so expensive.

Something tells me they are aiming for desperate industrial customers with ancient hardware that's still working but require RLL/MFM devices. Surely the VGA output and keyboard ports aren't the reason why that sucker is so expensive.

I think your right, this why I've got a NOS drive from Best Electronics when I was working on my SH205 AKA "Megafile 20" But I would love to get my hands on a 3.5" HH RLL Hard Drive with 50 MB or more but any way. I do have fun using my SH205 as is.

• 7 months later...

Just to let folks know, DREM has released their version 2 of the DREM board that replaces MFM and or RLL drives. It can also serve as a floppy emulator. Present support is for either 2 floppies or 2 hard drives. I bought two to replace aging MFM drives on two computers for the TI-99/4A. The developer, Oleksandr, was on top of things and within about 3 days, had my TI-99/4A and Geneve 9640 that used a slightly different chipset working as it should.

At $269, it is not cheap, but it is a LOT cheaper than other MFM emulators out there that are over $1500.

Check out www.drem.info for details.

Beery

• 2 years later...

I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

I used an SH204 as a HD for my Atari 8-bit and ran TVAG BBS off it till the drive died.

Basically, I took out the host adapter, and connected the 50 pin ribbon cable from the MIO to the Adaptec MFM controller.

Now as far as what that means in this thread.......

If you left the host adapter in, and took the 50 pin cable from that and connected it to an SCSI2SD, you should be good to go.  Of course, not sure what the capabilities of that host adapter are and whether it would be suitable.  It's also a snot ton of wasted space.

That said, honestly, I'd go the ICD Link/II route if possible.  If you're dead set on having it in an SH204 case, so be it.  But in that case, why not just get an UltraSatan cable and put the UltraSatan in the case?

After all, the ST had many HD options, so using something like the Link and a "generic" external SCSI case is till 100% retro authentic. ;)  I ran SFHQ off a system back in the day on a 2.1GB hd (with a 345mb drive too) in a SCSI 4 bay case with an ICD Link.

Back when that 2.1GB full height 5.25" monster cost $1,299 and I got it for $999 and felt like I just won the lottery. (Special order that the customer never picked up)... This was back when your average "higher end" PC had 800mb IDE HD storage.