IGNORED

TI99 and Tomy Tutor similarities

VicViper

The Tomy games hook into the OS for a lot of their routines, so you actually have to port the OS and the game together. Barry Boone did this for the US Tomy games many years ago and ported them over to the Geneve. I consulted with him a while back and used his methods to port a lot of the Tomy Pyuuta games over as well--but they only run on the Geneve. The Tomy's GPL language is intended to run on a TMS-9995, so you have to do a bit of translation there too if you want to try and port to a 99/4A. It would probably not be a trivial change once you factor in the memory requirements.

• Like 3

Interesting timing on this topic. Sparkdrummer just demo’d his Tomy Tutor at this month’s VAST meeting. Attendance was 100% with everyone showing up to our 9am donut shop gathering.

7ea583f86a5a3def0fc3a76c54154245.jpg

17c374e9436c6a99487ed8e2ba8829e9.jpg

3be19eb1f56a0d257dcf38190d451d2a.jpg

a24da9ec528255eba1a4e5bf65699302.jpg

ac6bc82191574e8285a52d1b2fd5ed9c.jpg

e88b20fde3f7aff3544f4a576bd79478.jpg

0950f321534fb9fb787fccc6f2ace181.jpg

9225145a4e81f5cca019ed8440087c89.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Airshack
  • Like 5

It is a 9918. I replaced the VDP in my US Tutor with an F18A. This also allowed me to replace the failed powersupply with a picoPSU. Except that the cartridge port no longer get -5v.

The joysticks are 2 button, and like the TI use a single plug for both players.

The cartridge port has the same dimensions to physically accept a TI cart shell.

You can build RAM and eprom carts now... Thanks to

Tanam.. http://d.hatena.ne.jp/tanam/touch/20170327/1490647882

-M@

• Like 3

That is a Pyuuta Jr. The regular Pyuuta looks just like a Tutor, except the keys are in Kanji script. Then there is the Pyuuta MkII, which has a regular keyboard, but otherwise looks like a Tutor. There are internal differences between all of the Japanese models and the Tutor, but all will mostly run the same software (the GBASIC in the Pyuuta is a bit different, but once you get to the MkII, it is the same as the US version).

I Follow the Tomy Totor Scene also.

It is a really nice computer.

here my configuration in Italy (year 2015) where TI-99 Italian User Club has been present to the "Brusaporto Retrocomputing" exposition.

post-24673-0-51294000-1515589397_thumb.jpg

i'd like to add two interesting links also:

- TI Scramble from TI99 to Tomy Tutor (the our TI Scramble developed by Rasmus)

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/tanam/20170415/1492218987

and also an interesting active group on yahoo:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/tomytutor/info

;)

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 2

The green boards I bought from tanam. http://atariage.com/forums/user/44990-tanam1972/

Kind of funny, he shipped them to me in the same anti-static bag that my 32k sideport board was shipped to him in.

The kicad projects were on his website for the purple one, so I had that made at OSHPark, and it works on my US Tutor. The green ones require the Japanese cartridge port. So it doesn't work on my US Tutor. Luckily I have a MkII to keep me moving...

I was trying to find the kicad projects he had on his blog... This is challenging as my Japanese is... non-existent...

I would like to be done with other projects, so I can move on to things like modifying the US Tutor cartridge port to support this. Or building an external adapter like what used to be sold. And build a real keyboard for my US Tutor, cause mine is dead. And... document the OS ROM like TI-Intern, but I'm just learning assembly...

-M@

• Like 4

That was a fun meeting - especially showing James something he had never seen before.

I am still looking for a LOCO-MOTION cart - or a multicart for the machine would work...

James and I have fun at these meetings - and we usually always attract some attention from coffee/donut hounds.

Probably in March I'll be showing James my Fairchild Channel F collection.

• Like 1