IGNORED

TI99 and Tomy Tutor similarities

VicViper

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I've made RAM & ROM Cartridge for Original Pyuuta. You can play on ePyuta now.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/tanam/20171230/1514598212

TINY BASIC

Pitfall!

Door Door

tanam

Here are some pics of Tanam's RAM & ROM cartridge and adapter working on my US Tomy Tutor!

post-42954-0-42999100-1517170474_thumb.jpg

This one is my overall setup ( my keyboard is bad-bad, so I have a '1', 'down', and 'return' button wired up )

post-42954-0-58081900-1517170624_thumb.jpg

And a couple screen shots of the game "Door Door" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Door_Door

post-42954-0-69900300-1517170819_thumb.jpg

post-42954-0-39531200-1517170840_thumb.jpg

-M@

• Like 3

That game DoorDoor looks quite fun. Would be interesting to see how it compares to the MSX version.

Many of the Tutor games are rather of poor quality, but this one might look worth converting to the TI-99/4A.

Could you do a short video on DoorDoor? Would be a primer as I havent found any Youtube video of this game in the Tutor version.

That game DoorDoor looks quite fun. Would be interesting to see how it compares to the MSX version.

Many of the Tutor games are rather of poor quality, but this one might look worth converting to the TI-99/4A.

Could you do a short video on DoorDoor? Would be a primer as I havent found any Youtube video of this game in the Tutor version.

• Like 6

Matt

Are they a multicart for the TOMY?

Tanam1972's flash based cartridge and original 16k based boards are 'multi-carts' in that they have 3 jumpers each to allow selecting 1 of 8 banks in the chip to address. The flash based board uses a 256k 29F002 PLCC chip, for 8 banks of 32k byte roms. The 16k board, uses 27C512 eproms for 8 banks of 8k, or 4 banks of 16k roms.

-M@

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi people,

today I bought a Tomy Pyuuta Tutor (japanese version) for cheap (118 USD including shipping)

Normally they are a lot more expensive, I've been watching ebay for more than a year now.

The idea is to tinker with it and I would at least like to see my Pitfall version running on it ;-)

So the question is, can someone point me to the direction where I can get a homebrew cartridge board?

Also does anyone know, if it would be possible to turn a japanese Tutor into the american version by swapping ROM's ?

Ofcourse would be great if I can swap keyboard too, but I guess that won't be so easy.

Also have been wondering; what is the TI machine that comes closest to the Tutor? Would that be the TI-99/4a, TI-99/5 or TI-99/8 ? :grin:

For sure, but the Tutor lacks of a PSI as the 99/2. As very cheap computers, they also share a poor quality, poor electronic design, a unuseable keyboard for programmers.

What do you mean with PSI? I am not familiar with this word.

There was a Tomy Tutor MKII released in Japan only. It featured basically the same computer, running a better keyboard (and some different ROM?).

The Tomy GPL runs from Rom Chips, not Grom Chips.

PSI = Programmable System Interface, the function of the TMS9901.

Thanks for that. Didn't history show, that the TMS9901 actually combined two functions in one chip and therefore made it more expensive than required, once you added additional ports? So each Port got its own TMS9901 chip even though there was no additional CRU functionality required. At least I remember hearing some engineers complaining about that fact.

Isn't the DS990-1 also not using any TMS9902, TMS9901 or TIM9904 chips on its boards?