IGNORED

Can the 5V line in the 7800 Controller...

GoldenWheels

...be used to power a small light or LED inside a custom controller? If so, would the controller still function properly?

Forgive my ignorance on this, I can solder from a diagram no sweat but the actual laws/theory of electronics are not something I know a lot about. I can learn all about everything electric by reading a big book and taking some courses, or I can (as usual) learn just enough to answer my Q from the more knowledgeable folks here. So, help please. :)

...be used to power a small light or LED inside a custom controller? If so, would the controller still function properly?

Forgive my ignorance on this, I can solder from a diagram no sweat but the actual laws/theory of electronics are not something I know a lot about. I can learn all about everything electric by reading a big book and taking some courses, or I can (as usual) learn just enough to answer my Q from the more knowledgeable folks here. So, help please. :)

I've used an adapter to play on the 7800 with a PS2 dual shock 2 controller or Mad Catz PS2 racing wheel with led meters on it. It powered the adapter and the PS2 controller's analog/meter LEDs and was able to function properly.

• Like 1

I've used an adapter to play on the 7800 with a PS2 dual shock 2 controller or Mad Catz PS2 racing wheel with led meters on it. It powered the adapter and the PS2 controller's analog/meter LEDs and was able to function properly.

Does that adapter allow two button action with the 7800 by chance? If so, where did you get it?

Excellent, I appreciate the answers guys!

I guess I have to use a generic Sega Genesis cable as a donor since there is no line for pin 7 on a standard 7800 cable...correct?

Am I lucky enough that Genesis wire color coding is the same as Atari color coding? Or do I have to match diagram to diagram? I guess I can look that up myself...still feel free to answer! :) EDIT: not that simple. :_(

Excellent, I appreciate the answers guys!

I guess I have to use a generic Sega Genesis cable as a donor since there is no line for pin 7 on a standard 7800 cable...correct?

Am I lucky enough that Genesis wire color coding is the same as Atari color coding? Or do I have to match diagram to diagram? I guess I can look that up myself...still feel free to answer! :) EDIT: not that simple. :_(

Yes, Genesis cords are perfect. Color coding is different on most of them, use a "Beeper" multimeter mode, or make yourself a simple one with a resistor, battery and LED, to figure out what color goes to what pin.

That is what I used for this...

IMG_2855.jpg

• Like 9

Does that adapter allow two button action with the 7800 by chance? If so, where did you get it?

This is the one I have:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-CD32-C64-Atari-playstation-adapter-PSX-joypad-joystick-interface/222790422339

It is for Amiga and I believe you need to use a Seagull 78 adapter with it to get left button from pin 6 to pin 5 for the 7800.

Here is the manual:

http://kipper2k.com/psx/PSX-Adapter.pdf

I can use it with the wireless PS2 controllers as well. I like the Pelican Predator 2.4 GHz Wireless Controller one. There are good reviews on the Logitech wireless action controller for PS2 as well, but also reviews that it is often DOA out of the box, which is what I experienced when I bought one. The pelican one is less than half the price these days as well.

• Like 1

Yes, Genesis cords are perfect. Color coding is different on most of them, use a "Beeper" multimeter mode, or make yourself a simple one with a resistor, battery and LED, to figure out what color goes to what pin.

Is it possible to make one of these where the 5V power and ground for the adapter itself and its power to the controller come from two external leads, so it can be used on a Colecovision, which lacks true VCC and ground - thus, powered like the ColecoVision Expansion Module #2 driving controller or the Roller Controller? I would power it with three C batteries or a 5V 500mA PSU. The closest device I've found for this is only for use with a mouse - USB to Atari ST:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SmallyMouse2-Cased-USB-to-Quadrature-mouse-interface-for-Atari-ST/172916231841?hash=item28429c4ea1:g:E44AAOSwfeZZynpy

ooooohhhhhh, is that double stick compatible with Robotron:2049 by any chance??? :grin:

ooooohhhhhh, is that double stick compatible with Robotron:2049 by any chance??? :grin:

Of course it is, that's why the dual db9 connectors into one DualShock! :dunce:

CPUWIZ discontinued these far too prematurely. Just needed to advertise more and wait for people to catch on. A man before his time! :grin:

• Like 1

Its a catch 22. Build it and risk not selling or ask for ideas for a project and then people bitch it is not made yet.

People only want what they can not have it seems.

I liked the idea of it but after buying 4 or six controllers right before hand and not owning a ps controller I just could not offer any money for it. So I just said its cool or something thats all...

The most interesting to me is the riot modchip with this system.

Can you imagine if there was a way to toggle the power switch as well?

Sitting in a chair controller in hand.

Reliable multi cart in 7800.

No need to lean forward to change games or anything.

Like I start to get abs changing carts or going to the console.

I am just supposed to be drunk and happy playing games. It should not be any work.

Edited by Jinks

The most interesting to me is the riot modchip with this system.

Can you imagine if there was a way to toggle the power switch as well?

Sitting in a chair controller in hand.

Reliable multi cart in 7800.

No need to lean forward to change games or anything.

Like I start to get abs changing carts or going to the console.

I am just supposed to be drunk and happy playing games. It should not be any work.

I had already forgotten about it. Power is trickier, how do you turn it back on without power? I didn't want the adapter to be battery powered. Just get a really long stick. :P

• Like 1

Another example, works the same on the 2600.

post-1244-1155946632.jpg

• Like 1

I had already forgotten about it. Power is trickier, how do you turn it back on without power? I didn't want the adapter to be battery powered. Just get a really long stick. :P

A supercapacitor internal in the 7800 that runs off the mod riot chip. Charged off the voltage regulator. That and a whatchamadingle would be easy... :P

What is the safe 5v amperage draw that the controller ports handle?

Edited by Jinks

A supercapacitor internal in the 7800 that runs off the mod riot chip. Charged off the voltage regulator. That and a whatchamadingle would be easy... :P

What is the safe 5v amperage draw that the controller ports handle?

It also needs to power the MCU in the adapter and all the circuitry of the dual shock though, power needs to be present on the joystick port.

It also needs to power the MCU in the adapter and all the circuitry of the dual shock though, power needs to be present on the joystick port.

Maybe a rechargable battery in the dual shock adapter?

I am starting to think a stick now.

It does not really matter it is cool the way it is. The reset and select option takes care of the problem when I am playing a game and die at a stupid time too early can rage quit and start again.

• Like 1

Well...guess it's time to figure out how to use the multimeter that came with my soldering kit. I have absolutely no idea how to use one to relate wires to pins.

Well...guess it's time to figure out how to use the multimeter that came with my soldering kit. I have absolutely no idea how to use one to relate wires to pins.

continuity test, Look for this symbol...

post-61918-0-29223700-1515687477.png

What I usually do is wrap a small piece of wire to one prod and stick the wire into the wire port, then go down the line of wires until I hear a beep. Then write down what pin you are on, and what color. do that for all 9 pins.

• Like 1

continuity test, Look for this symbol...

attachicon.gifch2-continuity-symbol-01.png

What I usually do is wrap a small piece of wire to one prod and stick the wire into the wire port, then go down the line of wires until I hear a beep. Then write down what pin you are on, and what color. do that for all 9 pins.

Thanks a TON...that is a very clear explanation, I can do that!

My next question involves choosing an appropriate light...my plan is to use plexiglass front on my project boxes with a logo on them and I intend to light the case from the inside to kind of backlight it (I'm wiring it up very neatly inside so it will look good, hopefully).

With a 5v line, what do I need to be looking at specwise so far as choosing one? Any good sources for this stuff? (I tend to go to ebay for everything)