IGNORED

Is there any way to play The Empire Strikes Back on the Atari 400?

Starglider01

When I was 10 years old I was passing by a shelf in a games store and saw the classic silver box for the Parker brothers The Empire Strikes Back game. On the box it simply stated that it was for the Atari video game system. I therefore convinced my mother to buy me an Atari! The one we bought was the Atari 400, believing that that was the same thing. As you will know the game actually was designed for the 2600. Now that I'm all grown up and have the Atari 400 here, I am wondering if there is any way on Earth to get it working with The Empire Strikes Back?

ah grass hopper but there was another... even beyond this one...

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-imperial-walker_2560.html

AT-AT attack was a working title that I don't see anywhere...

rogue leader battle of hoth needs a port though

In any event someone will find the droid we're looking for.... ;)

Edited by _The Doctor__

You could also use an emulator as a last resort, Stella is one of the best if you have a PC...

The rom image of the game will be found with a google search and as you actually own the real rom there's no need to feel bad for using a rom image.

Sadly as others have said the game was never ported over to the Atari Computer systems.

OR you could buy a 2600 but the cost will probably not match the game enjoyment factor :)

Its ok but like Attack of the mutant camels as said by Rybags, and its available for the computer but you would need some extra hardware to use the image or a program called APE to write it out to a real disk but again you need hardware..

If you fancy any of those options just say and I'm sure you will get 100% help.

Paul..

that's it folks, all these ports not done by the original publisher/programmer are not ports at all... they are strange knock off weirdo games.... everybody stop that porting now! And in fact those done buy other developers for the said publisher or company shall not be deemed worthy either... even if the name, game concept, look etc are all the same...

how about the OP gets to try them all out? and decide if he likes any of them?

perhaps an emulator of it be done on the 800 line, but that's technically not a port..... oh bugger there must be no way to make it happen

I know, I got it, we can force project the game in spirit! It's the force ghost of Parker Brothers who can give us the proper port of the game!

Edited by _The Doctor__

I feel a disturbance in the force! Who will have the midichlorens to channel the resources and make the force ghost representative port of The Empire Strikes Back for the 800 line? I think the force is strong in the Atari Age community.... Port this, They can, Project this, you must!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

that's it folks, all these ports not done by the original publisher/programmer are not ports at all... they are strange knock off weirdo games.... ..

Fair notice: There's a remote control, long distance, force choke coming your way.

;-)

Edited by kenjennings
  • Like 1

Would an official port be significantly different? It's a rather simple game.

Its not that, the op wants to see what the game he has in his hand looks like, showing him something else that's like it sort of defeats the question....

Its like wanting to see Die Hard and being shown Olympus Has Fallen, very similar films but not quite the same :)

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

Would an official port be significantly different? It's a rather simple game.

It would not be significantly different. Think VCS Demon Attack vs Atari 400/800 Demon Attack. They're very much alike. As is Flight Simulator II, or Drelbs, or SkyBlazer/StarBlazer or any other official cross-platform work. Many direct ports are done by the original publisher or a third party hired out by the original publisher (to do the grunt work). And their goal is to make the games look as similar as possible across several machines.

The ESB stuff pointed out on AtariMania does NOT fit that criteria. Not even close. And it is clearly not done in the spirit of the VCS version. It's an altogether entirely different thing (except for the name) and should be left outside of this discussion.

it's a shame lucasfilm wasn't allowed to make star wars video games at the time.. they weren't allowed to make video games for their own movies

Well that's because they signed away the rights....

Its not that, the op wants to see what the game he has in his hand looks like, showing him something else that's like it sort of defeats the question....

Its like wanting to see Die Hard and being shown Olympus Has Fallen, very similar films but not quite the same :)

Yeah but in this case the "movie" he wants to see doesn't exist, so..

It's not even a port. Just a rough play-alike. And that's stretching it.

Is it worse? Because the Parker Brothers version isn't much in all honesty. It's rather generic. The only reason it's Star Wars and not "Hummingbird vs Camel" is a few notes of the Star Wars theme in the beginning.

• 1 month later...

Thank you guys. It's amazing to think that once I was searching for a way to get this working that were people writing ports of it. As stated above it is not the same if it is not the actual game but I will still check them out. I only want to run them on the original Atari 400 machine not an emulator. With that in mind, and pardon my ignorance, but how can I get these files to run? I don't currently have any kind of SD card storage device for the Atari 400 and I'm not sure where to start. This is really the only game I'd like to try that way. Is there a way to get a cartridge SD card device or such like?

Thanks!, Starglider aka ԹҽɾíƒɾɑϲԵíϲ's RҽԵɾ๏ RҽϲíԹҽs

[emoji973]️ http://youtube.com/perifractic

[emoji973]️ http://patreon.com/perifractic