IGNORED

TEC FB-501 (from FD-501) leaked 10uF caps

OLD CS1

My dad handed me a CoCo2 with an FD-501 system. I am at the stage of testing and I found a floppy will format but it cannot be read. At quick glimpse at the controller board on the FB-501 floppy and I see the two 10uF caps in the read/write circuit have leaked and corroded circuitry around them.

These are the only two 10uF caps on the board. I am about to replace all of the capacitors on the board and clean up or bypass as much of the corrosion as I can.

This concerns me not only because it has caused this unit to fail but also because I have four others in two MSD-2 drives (for Commodore.) Is this a known or common issue with these particular drives?

• 1 month later...

My dad handed me a CoCo2 with an FD-501 system. I am at the stage of testing and I found a floppy will format but it cannot be read. At quick glimpse at the controller board on the FB-501 floppy and I see the two 10uF caps in the read/write circuit have leaked and corroded circuitry around them.

These are the only two 10uF caps on the board. I am about to replace all of the capacitors on the board and clean up or bypass as much of the corrosion as I can.

This concerns me not only because it has caused this unit to fail but also because I have four others in two MSD-2 drives (for Commodore.) Is this a known or common issue with these particular drives?

Yes, this is a very common problem. Ray Carlsen has a page about it:

http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/msd/REPAIRS/MSD.txt

I just replaced all the caps on a defective MSD SD-2 which was given to me, and brought it back to life. The logic board on one of the 2 drives had PCB damage, and multiple ICs were damaged (replace them if the pins are corroded, because the electrolyte will seep into the chip and destroy bonding wires). The capacitors had leaked on all 4 of the PCBs on the 2 drive units.

I didn't know that the Tandy FD-501 also used the same TEC FB-501 disks. Now I'm going to have to open all of them, and I have a bunch.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 1/13/2018 at 3:04 PM, OLD CS1 said:

Large caps are often glued down to eliminate vibration