IGNORED

Nintendo Wii I just bought

SignGuy81

Just bought a Wii listed here https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wii-RVL-001-system-AS-IS-not-working/222787762541?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I think I have a pretty good idea why it won't recognize the controllers. Unless I'm somehow mistaken those look to be controllers from a knockoff system but I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has seen those controllers before.

Those are strange. They don't have home,1,2,+,- buttons or a port for the nunchuck. That's going to make a lot of games unplayable.

That's why I'm almost certain instead that it is for a knockoff console and not aftermarket controllers for the Wii.

I'll provide an update when it arrives. I have an actual Wii controller coming as well(that I might have to fix to get going as it was sold not working, but who knows maybe this person was trying to use the Wii controller with a knockoff console :)).

When you get the Wii, plug the sensor bar and point your phone camera in the dark room at the sensor bar. Check if you can see the lights, if not, then the bar is broken or the port.

PS. And yes, these controllers look weird, missing Trigger button, "+" and "-", HOME, "1", "2".

Edited by amiman99
  • Like 1

That's why I'm almost certain instead that it is for a knockoff console and not aftermarket controllers for the Wii.

Good point. They were never intended to be used with a Wii so the missing buttons wouldn't have been needed.

OP, keep checking Craigslist. I've bought a lot of Wii related things dirt cheap.

I just thought of another question I should be asking. I've noticed on ebay most Wii's that are being sold as working come with the nunchuk thingamajigger. Is that required for all/most games? If not what is it mainly used for as I haven't a clue as I've never owned the regular Wii console only the Wii U is what we have? If it is needed I guess I need to find a cheap one somewhere.

Think of the "nunchuck thing" as like the middle controller handle on the N64 controller, it pretty much does the same functions on the Wii as it did on the N64. Yes, some games don't need it. But IIRC, like 90% of the games I played did need it so I don't know it might depend on your library.

And yes, those are obviously fake Wiimotes that should have been with a knock off Chinese console. You can see on the back of them they have the infrared sensor thing, it's in between the two screw holes. So it's kinda weird but I think these were only meant to be played in a vertical orientation, holding it like a wand.

One last thing, $37?!?!!! Good lord, how hard is it to get a Wii in your neck of the woods? They sell them around me for $10. Hell, I got one with the original box, practically brand new a few months ago for $20!

• Like 1

One last thing, $37?!?!!! Good lord, how hard is it to get a Wii in your neck of the woods? They sell them around me for $10. Hell, I got one with the original box, practically brand new a few months ago for $20!

You must be looking at a different one I didn't pay $37. It was $16.99 plus $8.44 shipping for $25.43 total(or $30.42 if you count the controller I got coming for it, or maybe even a total of around $37 when I get the nunchuk as well). Where do they sell them for $10 around you, with a power adapter and av cord? Deals like that around here are a dime a dozen.

Definitely get a new sensor bar as well. There's no reason to have a "spliced" (looks more like he just twisted the wires together) wire like that when a brand new sensor bar is like $6: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Official-Nintendo-Wii-U-Infrared-Genuine-OEM-Wired-Sensor-Bar-RVL-014-Black/272731854861?hash=item3f8015d80d:g:XnUAAOSwhvFZAcVK

And I agree those are almost definitely not even Wii controllers.

You must be looking at a different one I didn't pay $37. It was $16.99 plus $8.44 shipping for $25.43 total(or $30.42 if you count the controller I got coming for it, or maybe even a total of around $37 when I get the nunchuk as well). Where do they sell them for $10 around you, with a power adapter and av cord? Deals like that around here are a dime a dozen.

I just realized I said that wrong too late to edit but I meant "aren't a dime a dozen."