IGNORED

HSC Season 15 Round 1: Bosconian

I understand that the 64K versions have simpler high score screens than the 128K versions. Gameplay should be the same, possibly any version that doesn't use the "illegal" LAX instruction would be a tick slower but on the whole I doubt anyone would notice.

I just returned from a vacation and saw this. Are most of you all using the 128K version? I tried to run that version, but I must have the wrong settings on my emulator (Atari800Win). When I autoboot the xex image, it works up until the point that the game starts, then the ship is invisible.

@Dope just out pf couriosity...

- How many hours per day are you playing ?

- How long do you need, to reach level 30 ???

(but by the way... congratulations!!! )

Stefan

- Usually 4-5 hours but during last week up to 8-10

- That's a difficult question, more than 30 minutes, that's for sure.

• Like 2

I just returned from a vacation and saw this. Are most of you all using the 128K version? I tried to run that version, but I must have the wrong settings on my emulator (Atari800Win). When I autoboot the xex image, it works up until the point that the game starts, then the ship is invisible.

Anyone wanting to configure the PC based emulators:

on Atari800Win+ it's

Atari> Memory Size (choose 128K)

Atari> Machine Type (XL/XE)

and on Altirra it's

System> Memory Config (128K 130XE)

System>Hardware (65XE/130XE)

not sure what it is on the Mac.

Awesome score Dope :thumbsup: And that's the dedication needed to become champion :D

@shanti77 - I'm playing the 64 pal version and I noticed that if it goes 'condition red' and then back to yellow again the ships keep chasing you as if it's still red. Is this a bug or by design?

Yes you have right this is bug. I want make final version with fixed bugs and maybe some changes , but I wait to end this round. Maybe you have some ideas.

Wow, this thread is very active!

I played the 128K version of Bosconian under Altirra, but the voice effects were driving me crazy after just one game (they sound wonderful, but they're awfully repetitive). I settled on playing the 64K version that seems to lack the voice synthesis. Other than the missing voice and different high score table, they seem to play the same. I only played a few games of this, but that's better than I've managed for many rounds in the previous season:

Bosconian - 16,780 (NTSC Emulation, 64K version)

post-4925-0-95841400-1516825516.gif

This game looks fantastic! I have very limited experience with this arcade game, but I did play it on one of the Namco PS1 compilations in the mid-90s. I have to make sure to play this Atari 8-bit conversion on real hardware on a 15Khz TV to get the full effects of this game. I enjoy the slightly-off color, fuzziness and scanlines of tube TVs: emulation and HDMI up-scanners just can't touch the wonder that is old-school gaming at its best!

Lastly, every time I play homebrew games on any system (especially the Atari 8-bits), I always wonder how the hell people can manage to push the hardware so far!

Adam

• Like 3

To load Bosconian on AtariMax MaxFlash you must: [...] choose "EXE Loader Base Address 0x0300"

Today this worked for me on a real 130XE and my 8MB AtariMax flashcart. I quickly played the 64K and 128K NTSC versions.

On a real CRT TV the very top and bottom of the screen are cut off. During the game, I can only see the very bottom of the word "HI-SCORE" and, at the bottom, "ROUND X" just barely all fits on the screen. On the title screen, only the bottom on-third of the words "STAR DESTROYER" are visible. I may be able to adjust this if I can get this TV into a service mode, but I'm not even sure if this TV has a service mode.

On a good point, I just bought this 19" CRT flatscreen TV for $7.99 at a thrift store a few days ago. It has three inputs: RF, composite and s-video. I just used it for the first time today with my Atari 130XE and it works great with my 8-bit system in all three input modes (s-video looks best, of course). The colors need to be adjusted (they're quite dark), but that should be adjustable in the menu options.

Adam

I may be able to adjust this if I can get this TV into a service mode, but I'm not even sure if this TV has a service mode.

It turns out that I need a special remote control to get into the service mode of my Sylvania 6420FF 20" TV. I can't adjust the horizontal size or position without being in service mode. I'm pretty sure that this is normal for most CRT TVs (except very old ones). The words in the overscan area ("HI-SCORE, "ROUND X" and "STAR DESTROYER") will never be visible to me. I suppose that this is probably true of most NTSC players using real hardware (can anyone else confirm this on real hardware?).

Is it normal for games to use the overscan area like this? Maybe the final version of Bosconian can change the screen layout slightly so that the overscan area isn't completely used.

Adam

I finally have player a few rounds on my Atari 130XE using a decent controller

Bosconian - 64,300 (130XE, NTSC)

post-4925-0-47928200-1516928805_thumb.jpg

The music is great, but why does it remind me of the game Bruce Lee?!?

In this picture you can see how much of "HI-SCORE" is in the TV's overscan area (yeah, I know, I can't hold a camera straight... or steady).

This game is working its way up my personal of too-good-to-be-homebrew chart!

After having been playing the Emerson Arcadia 2001 (released in 1982) lately, the Atari home computer seems like it's from a generation or two later than the Arcadia. Ah, man, the Atari is such a great machine!

Is there a way to pause this game? If so, then how?

Adam

• Like 1