IGNORED

Wild (and likely stupid) idea

godslabrat

So, just running my brain in strange directions.

Atari games are not big. We know this. In fact, the largest 2600 game is considerably smaller than the data that could be held in a QR code.

What if someone made a QR-capable Atari cart? Kind of like a supercharger, only with fewer components.

• Like 1

Atari games are not big. We know this. In fact, the largest 2600 game is considerably smaller than the data that could be held in a QR code.

If the Wikipedia article is correct, the maximum storage capacity is less than 3KB in binary mode. The vast majority of 2600 games are 4K or more.

So you'd need several QR codes per game.

• Like 1

If the Wikipedia article is correct, the maximum storage capacity is less than 3KB in binary mode. The vast majority of 2600 games are 4K or more.

So you'd need several QR codes per game.

So we would be looking at another Super Charger Multi load situation. No thanks. I'll stick with my Harmony and Concerto carts.

Some of the e-Reader games for the GBA required scanning multiple cards.

It could be a fun way to distribute homebrews. Professionally printed cards with box art on one side and the QR code on the other. I'm not sure how much luck you'd have convincing people to go that route over the Harmony though. People who just want to play the games will be happy to stick with that, collectors would still rather buy boxed cartridges.

Edited by KaeruYojimbo

It sounds like your concerto ended up working. Did it work on your A1 or A3 serial 7800? Did POKEY work?

Not to derail this thread but it is an A3 that is AV-SVid modded. Everything I have thrown at it works other than B*nQ. from what I have read in the thread that is a trouble maker for everyone.

I wanted to report to the SD Cart thread my findings but I have just been to busy to type up my findings. But I am very excited that is works and all the Pokey games work fine with the Pokey installed.

• 7 months later...

Isnt there some advanced QR protocol to write/read more data in a QR code? Its hard d to believe nobody uses larger similar types of coding.

If you don't mind not being officially compatible with real QR code readers (not that your iPhone's vanilla reader knows what to do with the binary data anyway) you CAN just change the max "code size" in the QR writer/reader source code (I used zbar) for a special custom version that can go bigger.

Would depend on the QR size, lighting, and camera quality for how finicky it would be to read more complex codes, so it's kind of a tradeoff. I probably could have gotten it to fit on one QR code if I really wanted, didn't try it though.

not like games HAVE to be 4k or larger, like the gameboy e-reader they were not full blast maxing the system out affairs, just little mini games

that being said there was a system in the 80's where you would buy a scanner and swipe strips of 2d barcode info from magazines so its not a crazy idea, it was a good idea back then outside of the cost of buying a scanner for (lets say) an apple II just to avoid typing in a 3 page basic program