IGNORED

It is done...

Skippy B. Coyote

It only took me 25 years, but it is finally done. I have completed it: The Sega Clusterf**k

igEqxag.jpg

I've had a Genesis for most of my life, got a 32X a couple months ago, then this afternoon I ended up scoring a Sega CD in a trade deal with a local game store; and after a bit of work I'm pretty pleased with it. When I first got the Sega CD home and tried it out it was skipping, crashing, and failing to load games constantly so I ended up giving the laser eye a good cleaning with some rubbing alcohol on a q-tip then opened it up and cleaned all the old dried up grease out of the gears that move the laser assembly. After that I put some fresh white lithium grease on all the gears, applied a couple drops of 3-in-1 oil to the metal bar the laser moves on, and now that I've got it all back together it's working great with no skipping, crashing, or loading difficulties. All it needed was a good cleaning and relubricating of the moving parts.

Now that I've got that business sorted I'm off to spend some time with the Sega CD playing my totally legally burned copy of Sonic CD. :D

Edited by Jin
  • Like 11

Nice job on the refurb!

Even though I couldn't get back into it (had a SegaCD combo like yours about 5 years ago), I do have fond memories of playing games like Final Fight with my brother BITD. And even just watching him demo games like Mickey Mouse or Silpheed was fun. I had already moved out of my childhood home by that time, so was kind of a "treat" when I'd visit and see what all was new for his Sega systems. He still had his Master System too, which some of the later games for that really looked great for the time. Always booted up some Parlour Games and had a quick round of Billiards, despite him having the latest and greatest SegaCD titles. haha

Anyway, Final Fight was especially cool since that version allowed 2 player co-op. My SNES version didn't! Which really sucked, because in those times and young enough, we still had friends that would want to play these games with us. Oh well, Rival Turf to the rescue! :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I was actually really panicked when I first got the Sega CD home and it was working so erratically. Just trying to get a game to load was nearly impossible, then a friend of mine who had repaired some old CD players from the early 90's suggested that it was probably just dried up grease on the gears and laser rail preventing it from scanning discs smoothly. So I took his advice and opened it up, cleaned all the old grease (which had all solidified into something more akin to drywall than grease) then put some new grease on and it's been working great since then. I've logged around 4 hours or so in Sonic CD so far and there hasn't been a single problem at all. :)

It's been really neat exploring the ways that the Sega CD and 32X enhance the humble 16-bit Genesis. The Sega CD gives a slight boost to the system's graphical capabilities but really bumps up the sound with CD quality audio, and the 32X doesn't do much for the sound but gives the system a major graphical boost to let it push some polygons around. Neither add-on has a ton of games I'd like to play on them, only 10 or 15 each, but I still really appreciate being able to play the handful of games they each bring to the table. For my personal tastes I got the 32X mainly to play Doom, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing, Metal Head, Star Wars Arcade, Knuckles Chaotix, and Kolibi and the Sega CD for Sonic CD, Silpheed, Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master II, Echo the Dolphin with it's enhanced CD soundtrack, and Surgical Strike. There's a few other games I'm sure I'll play on each, but those were my main interests and they were all within the realm of affordability for original production copies. The Sega CD does have half a dozen not-so-affordable games that I'd also like to play (Snatcher, Keio Flying Squadron, and Robo Aleste in particular), but I'm fine with just playing burned copies of those and fortunately that's something that's easy to do on the Sega CD.

The one thing I didn't anticipate going into the Sega CD acquisition though was that I would need a RAM backup cart for the two first-person dungeon crawling RPGs I wanted to play on it, Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master II. That wasn't such a bad thing though, because it turned out to be the push I needed to finally save up for a Mega EverDrive X5. Looking at the prices of Sega CD RAM carts on eBay made it kind of a no-brainer to just spend a little more and get a Mega EverDrive X5 that will not only work as a RAM cart for the Sega CD games but also give me instant access to the entire Genesis, 32X, and Master System game libraries. And hey, my birthday is coming up next month so I have a feeling I might be able to get the spousal unit to pitch in on the EverDrive as a B-day present. :)

Anyway, I think I'm starting to ramble so that's probably enough for one post. Oh! I did want to ask other Sega CD owners one thing that I almost forgot about! My model 2 Genesis is a 3/4 motherboard Revision VA3 and I've been really happy with the sound quality from it so I haven't ran out and bought a set of composite cables to do the optional stereo sound out of the Sega CD , but do you think it would be worth trying? I really don't know whether or not the Sega CD's sound output quality would be better than the Model 2 Genesis VA3's sound output through the 32X, so some input on that would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Not to hijack, but I have that combo (Sega CD, Genesis, 32X) sitting in my parent's basement. No boxes. Any value to that? I never use it anymore.

Assuming everything works properly, has all the necessary bits, and is in decent shape, Model 2 Genesis systems sell for around $35, the 32X goes for about $100 and a Model 2 Sega CD around $125. So figure $260 altogether, though you're likely to get less if you sold them as a set rather than parted them out.

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

Assuming everything works properly, has all the necessary bits, and is in decent shape, Model 2 Genesis systems sell for around $35, the 32X goes for about $100 and a Model 2 Sega CD around $125. So figure $260 altogether, though you're likely to get less if you sold them as a set rather than parted them out.

Thanks for the info.

Hold on to it! If I ever become employed again I might be interested. ;-)

I even have a few games! Though, none of the high-priced ones. :(

• Like 1

Congrats! Now you just need to build the tower of power!!

I still need to get a Sega CD. I love the Model 2 look.

Thanks Punisher! I'll pass on the Tower of Power, since I'm pretty happy with the looks of the Model 2 Genesis and Sega CD (though I know most people do prefer the Model 1's, so I guess I'm just an oddball there) but I do definitely need to get a Mega EverDrive and a Konami Justifier light gun for it in the near future. In the meantime I am really loving the Sega CD, even though most of the games I wanted to play on it are just Genesis ports with upgraded sound. It is amazing what a difference CD quality sound can make in a lot of games though. The misses has been monopolizing the Sega CD to play Ecco the Dolphin and it's sequel for much of the last week and the CD soundtrack makes such a huge difference in the feel of those games, plus the FMV cutscenes are pretty cool too.

On a related note, I snapped a better picture of my Sega setup the other day with a couple games scattered about for the What Have You Actually Played tracker thread in Classic Gaming General. :)

WeenfNk.jpg

If you're going to be burning CDs to play on it, then you need to make yourself a Snatcher and possibly Rise of the Dragon. Those two along with the RPGs are some of my favorite SegaCD games.

Snatcher is on my list to play for sure, I'm just kind of taking it slow and playing whatever sounds fun on any given day. So far I've played the ones shown above plus Samurai Shodown, Brutal: Paws of Fury, and Wolfchild; and watched the spousal unit play Ecco the Dolphin and it's sequel Tides of Time. The next game I really want to try is Lethal Enforcers but I'm waiting until I can get my hands on a Konami Justifier light gun for that one. Snatcher is next on my list after Lethal Enforcers though, once I have the light gun for the shooting mini-games. :)

Nice six button joystick!! I need to track down two of those...

I have a similar model two setup, but it's in storage right now at the tower of power (Stacked Model 1s) is currently my primary go-to.

Crazy the amount of cables to hook everything up..

You need:

-3x power brick

-Connecter for 32x

-Stereo cable from Sega CD

-AV cable from 32x

What were they thinking! LOL

Edited by travistouchdown

Nice six button joystick!! I need to track down two of those...

I have a similar model two setup, but it's in storage right now at the tower of power (Stacked Model 1s) is currently my primary go-to.

Crazy the amount of cables to hook everything up..

You need:

-3x power brick

-Connecter for 32x

-Stereo cable from Sega CD

-AV cable from 32x

What were they thinking! LOL

Not if you mod everything...hehe

I have a modified 'Cube' power supply with three plugs off it powering the Model 1, Model 1 CD, and 32x from a single outlet. Then I have a newish single cable from the model 1 av out to the 32x so no adapter needed. I have my model 1 fitted with RCA audio outs and just attach have that attached into my HD Retrovision cables that are coming from the 32x AV out. Still quite a bit a cables sure, but much easier to manage under my setup.

yeap... you just need the standard model 2 AV out cable, Video interface cable for either model 1 or model 2 and a power supply. I scored both of my 32x units last year base only for about $20 each. The video interface cables are right about $5 if you get them from console5 as I did (Yes he has pin 5 removed already). Model 2 power supply shouldn't be more than about $10 there abouts from your local game store if that, and probably about $5 for the model 2 AV out cable. So I guess I pieced both of mine together for under $40 each or around $80 total.

I have two of them because I permanently modded one of them for s-video out only. Makes it handy to use with any model 1 to get good video out since the headphone jack can be used for audio output separately.

Nice set up. I haven't gotten around to getting the 32x part yet. Those prices mentioned above seem a bit high. 32x really goes for around $100?

As others have mentioned it can be a lot cheaper of you piece it together part by part, but generally speaking a complete 32X with power supply, composite video cables, 32X to Genesis cable, and the ever important spacer for the model 2 Genesis goes for about $100 on eBay at the moment. Gathering all the various components individually can save you money, just be sure to get the spacer plate if you're going to be using it on a model 2 Genesis or the metal grounding clips if you're going to be using it on a model 1. The clips aren't necessary for a model 2 but they do go a long way towards keeping the 32X stable and preventing connection issues on the model 1 Genesis. Also be sure to track down the model 1 adapter for the 32X to Genesis cable if you're going to be using it on a model 1, since that is a necessary component.

Edited by Jin

As others have mentioned it can be a lot cheaper of you piece it together part by part, but generally speaking a complete 32X with power supply, composite video cables, 32X to Genesis cable, and the ever important spacer for the model 2 Genesis goes for about $100 on eBay at the moment. Gathering all the various components individually can save you money, just be sure to get the spacer plate if you're going to be using it on a model 2 Genesis or the metal grounding clips if you're going to be using it on a model 1. The clips aren't necessary for a model 2 but they do go a long way towards keeping the 32X stable and preventing connection issues on the model 1 Genesis. Also be sure to track down the model 1 adapter for the 32X to Genesis cable if you're going to be using it on a model 1, since that is a necessary component.

If you look at Console5.com they actually have those interface cables and they don't require the adapter for the model 1 since the cable comes molded for the genesis 1 to 32x. I actually have a set of the official cables and the one from Console5 actually provides a slightly better video image. I have slight ghosting even in rgb using the HDretrovision cables with sega official cables. That slight ghosting isn't present with the cables from console5.

As for the metal clips... no...you don't need them. They were put there to satisfy FCC regulations. I've been using my 32x on my genesis model 1 for well over 2 years without the metal clips and even take the 32x out and back in quite often and have never had any connection issues or lockups using it. So the metal clips aren't needed.

I also have the same set-up as you Jin as I got the 32X last to complete it a few years ago. I'm running mine to a Sony CRT via s-video and the picture looks pretty crisp. Now your world of games opens up with the Sega CD addition and I remember getting Final Fight as one of my first ones. I used to play it for hours and the CD sound quality makes it a recommended game to pick up. Now with the ability to burn games, as others have stated, I would also suggest Snatcher, Keio Flying Squadron and The Terminator as this one is a whole new experience compared to the Genesis version. Congrats on the set-up and enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Knuckles Chaotix

This is the one 32X game I actually kinda wanted to complete, but my particular Model 2 VA4 doesn't like it (it crashes early on like others have reported on some minority of Model 2s), and I don't like the title enough to keep hauling out the Model 1 to hook it up.