IGNORED

the official Channel F thread!

Yes, it's Battleship basically, difference is that you get audio clue how far you are from the nearest ship.
There's a two player game where the amount of shots depend on how many ships you have left and there's a one player version that starts with a bunch of shots... it's a random number between certain values.

You can read instructions if you click "gallery" here:
http://channelf.se
Then click the "R" at the "VC 14" row to read instructions.

• 2 weeks later...

My Channel F automatically picks game #3 upon starting. There is no way to pick another game except I can apparently choose game #4 sometimes. I would like to open the console and look around it to see what the problem is, but I can't open it. There's no screws or anything! How is it even put together if you can't open it?

My Channel F automatically picks game #3 upon starting. There is no way to pick another game except I can apparently choose game #4 sometimes. I would like to open the console and look around it to see what the problem is, but I can't open it. There's no screws or anything! How is it even put together if you can't open it?

Not sure which model you have

If it is the first model (original model within internally connected controllers), you have to peel the long rubber strips on the bottom of the case

I've never owned the System 2 model (the controllers have DB9 connectors), so I am not sure how to open it - maybe the same way if you can't see the screws

Edited by fdr4prez

There's two clear screws, don't know if there are any under the cork plates, heat them up and they're easier to remove.
The back has plastic pieces mating with holes in the top, cleverly to save screws so perhaps there's only those two.
Haven't actually opened one of those myself.

If they're like the model 1 the buttons are sealed and you have to cut them up to fix them.

OK I figured out why the screws were missing. It was from my previous attempt to try and fix the thing. I never screwed them back in. I open up the console and find that everything looks okay, but it's still broken somehow. For example, if I put in Sonar Search it flashes G? and then goes directly to game 2 despite me pressing and holding any other button. I can't even play cart #2 because it goes directly to the built in game. On cart #1, I've never played Tic-Tac-Toe, if I press 1 it goes to quadradoodle. Actually, I think every button goes to that. Good thing I can play Kevin Vs. Tomatoes, else I would be very angry.

• 4 weeks later...

OK I figured out why the screws were missing. It was from my previous attempt to try and fix the thing. I never screwed them back in. I open up the console and find that everything looks okay, but it's still broken somehow. For example, if I put in Sonar Search it flashes G? and then goes directly to game 2 despite me pressing and holding any other button. I can't even play cart #2 because it goes directly to the built in game. On cart #1, I've never played Tic-Tac-Toe, if I press 1 it goes to quadradoodle. Actually, I think every button goes to that. Good thing I can play Kevin Vs. Tomatoes, else I would be very angry.

were you able to get you unit working good?

• 1 month later...

I just got my hands on a Channel F today, and when I plugged it it a white screen with some graphics flashed on and then off to static. I was hoping to open it up and see if I can get it working again, but I cant seem to find the fourth screw. I assume its hidden under the pad, but is there a good way to find it without destroying the entire pad?

I just got my hands on a Channel F today, and when I plugged it it a white screen with some graphics flashed on and then off to static. I was hoping to open it up and see if I can get it working again, but I cant seem to find the fourth screw. I assume its hidden under the pad, but is there a good way to find it without destroying the entire pad?

Take a needle and start poking the rubber pad - when you find the hole the needle will go in it

I don't have easy access to my Channel F, so I can't take pictures of the bottom (my pads are removed)

Hopefully someone here can better describe the location or take a picture for you

• 2 weeks later...

Is there someone who I can mail my semi-broken Channel F to who might be able to fix it?

Long story:

I got Alien Invasion in the mail a couple days ago and it wasn't working. So I contacted the seller and said that I could return it as long as I had everything. To my surprise, my mom had thrown away the box! But if there is any silver lining to this story, it's that I have got it semi-working, but due to my specific Channel F's problem I can't play it. I don't know what the exact problem is, but I suspect it has to do with the buttons being all screwed up because on Cart #1, every button leads to 4, Quadra-doodle. But you have to press a button quickly because it only takes a second for it to go to the built-in game. Alien Invasion uses buttons 1 & 2, so I can't play it. So if anyone would like to take a stab at trying to fix my Channel F, just let me know where to mail it to and how much I should pay you for doing it. I will send along with it a controller and cart #1.

Yes, I tried that. It didn't do anything. What I do wonder is why it goes to the built-in game even when there's a game in the console, and I can make it start if I'm quick enough.

What's even more interesting is that Kevin Vs. Tomatoes starts without a hitch.

Edited by atari2600land