IGNORED

Intellivision Controller Observation for 2018

Denicio

I like the controller just fine the problem is they don't last so none of them work properly anymore I certainly like the disc much better than an atari joystick. The side buttons are the worst part. It's not the location they just aren't nice buttons they take too much force and are small and sharp

intv 2 controller number pad just takes some getting used to, you have to basically memorize the locations of all the buttons without having to look. But again they don't last.

I can count how many controllers I have gone through playing games.. its mostly the left and right side of the disk that wears.. :(

I agree with Denicio. The Intellivision keypad and overlay system is very much like a low-tech version of the touch screen interface on a modern smartphone. The keypad graphics change for every cartridge and the overlays remove the tactile feel to the buttons. In practice, it's better not to insert the overlays for most games so you can feel which button you're pressing.

The intellivision disc is a thumbpad directional control and a precursor to the modern d-pad. Intellivision users probably had an easier time transitioning to gamepads than those that were use to handheld joysticks. Well, except that gamepads became left-handed.

The shape of the Intellivision controller was to accomodate both left and right handed players with action buttons generally mirrored on each side. The left/right hand thing was really less of an issue as people learn whatever they are given. Changing hands is more of an issue.

My first experience with an Atari 2600 was the joystick gave me blisters and was uncomfortable. The Atari joystick and the Intellivision controller helped sell me on Intellivision. The disc is really comfortable to use, if it hurts peoples thumbs they are probably pressing too hard. Four-way games and two-way games work really well; Q-bert works really well with an Intellivision controller. Some eight-way games are hard to hit the diagonals. I'm thinking some tactile markers on the plastic ridge around the disc might have helped. No doubt, a mounted joystick like grips' might be preferable with some games (if you're okay playing left handed).

The stiff side buttons are another matter. Early programmers knew this and it's why Auto Racing has an automatic accelerator for example. Good Intellivision programmers would design games with that in mind. Those sports games really benefitted from the 16 directions. Analog would be better but 16 directions is much better than eight.

The Intellivision disc was designed to also be a rotary control. It's functionally equivalent to the Atari driving controller. Only one Intellivision cartridge ever made use of that feature.

Edited by mr_me

So...it just occurred to me...while admiring the lovely controller i have always used.....that how many 2600 users, TODAY, have something in their hands or pockets that look a hell'ova like a Intellivision Controller....a SMART PHONE

This reminds me: my favorite Intellivision Lives! collection is the one for the Nintendo DS, as it very effectively uses the bottom touchpad screen as the button-pad (and automatically loads up the overlay!). By far the best way to play emulated Intellivision games.

But yeah, overall, I'd say the old controller was losing, in so many ways. True the awful 2600 joystick required far more effort than it should, but the Intellivision pads were pretty nasty too. It's still annoying to me to wrestle with the disc. I'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet, but the chief problem with the disc, to me, is all the dead spots (and it's not just a matter of poor software implementation - the buttons have gaps and don't reliably press down unless you're directly over them on the disc), and constantly adjusting the angle of your thumb until it's properly connecting with the button underneath is a right pain. The fact that, occasionally, I'll be running along in Night Stalker and want to corner, and stop dead for a fraction of a second while I angle things just right to get into that passageway, is something I just shouldn't have to do!

The overlay system really didn't work too great, either, as inevitably the edges of the overlays would blunt up, and be a right pain to slip into the controller. Usually once you'd gotten familiar enough with a game, you'd just stop bothering with overlays, I guess. I never played Utopia without 'em, though :)

(Hi, folks, my first post here in the Intellivision section, just been lurking. :) )

This reminds me: my favorite Intellivision Lives! collection is the one for the Nintendo DS, as it very effectively uses the bottom touchpad screen as the button-pad (and automatically loads up the overlay!). By far the best way to play emulated Intellivision games.

But yeah, overall, I'd say the old controller was losing, in so many ways. True the awful 2600 joystick required far more effort than it should, but the Intellivision pads were pretty nasty too. It's still annoying to me to wrestle with the disc. I'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet, but the chief problem with the disc, to me, is all the dead spots (and it's not just a matter of poor software implementation - the buttons have gaps and don't reliably press down unless you're directly over them on the disc), and constantly adjusting the angle of your thumb until it's properly connecting with the button underneath is a right pain. The fact that, occasionally, I'll be running along in Night Stalker and want to corner, and stop dead for a fraction of a second while I angle things just right to get into that passageway, is something I just shouldn't have to do!

The overlay system really didn't work too great, either, as inevitably the edges of the overlays would blunt up, and be a right pain to slip into the controller. Usually once you'd gotten familiar enough with a game, you'd just stop bothering with overlays, I guess. I never played Utopia without 'em, though :)

(Hi, folks, my first post here in the Intellivision section, just been lurking. :) )

Greetings Lurker!

All good points to consider.

Keep in mind we are sitting pretty in 2018 looking back at 1979's technology. They were doing the best they could with the price point they were trying to hit with the available technology they had then.

The dead spots to me, as someone else mentioned, created an extra layer of unintended game play. Did it make me yell, cuss and scream? You bet! I recall even hitting the console a time or two out of frustration. But back then in the arcade we dealt with similar issues on certain games....and we yell, screamed, cussed and hit the cabinets of the arcade games.

To me....all part of the experience.

D

There's no dead spots with the disc; if you run a controller test program you'll see 360degrees are detected [no gaps]. If you've worn out the flex circuit or one of the wires are broken you could have dead spots. Of course if you try using the keypad at the same time it will mess with the disc, but that is how it is designed. Side buttons aren't designed to interfere with the disc but sometimes they do. An updated flex circuit design almost resolved that problem. Some homemade modifications can more or less eliminate it. And the stiff side buttons can be improved with a simple homemade modification.

Any of you ever try a 5200 controller with the intellivision? Never tried it myself but it does have a key pad like the intellivision. if only it could self center.

I can't imagine anyone would build an Atari 5200 controller to Intellivision adapter. You can get an Atari 5200 USB adapter. That will let you play Intellivision games emulated on a computer with a 5200 controller.

Edited by mr_me

There shouldn't be dead spots with the disc, unless the circuit matrix Mylar has damaged / torn areas. That can happen over time, especially if you press the disc too hard - we called a childhood friend of mine "Iron Thumb" for this very reason. I replaced them at least a couple times on my childhood console back in the day. It's not difficult.

But there are easy ways to prolong the life of the Mylar - such as adding a circular layer of plastic (think freezer bag thickness) between the bottom of the disc and the top of the Mylar. I even did this mod as a kid.

That said, some games have better controller reading routines than others. Night Stalker doesn't control well. There are invisible 'corridors' that your man can run down. And sometimes it seems like you should have more room than you actually do in certain sections. Cornering can be problematic. This, however is not the fault of the disc.

A similar problem exists with the original version of Lock N Chase, which is the main reason why a 'fixed' version was done. Take a game like DZ's Christmas Carol. Similar maze gameplay, but it controls wonderfully, because DZ spent a great deal of time getting the controls just right (perhaps he'll chime in with more specifics).

And yes, pressing the disc at the same time as the keypad will cause controller reading issues. This was a known limitation of the design (most game manuals even mention it). But we overcame that through practice as kids. And I've eliminated it for 'compatible' games with my Dual Action Controller.

The side buttons can become uncomfortable over time (much more so with the Intellivision II controllers). One thing that could help with the original controllers is replacing the side buttons with those from a Flashback controller, since the rubber is much softer.

Personally, I always liked the Intellivision controllers: 16 directions, side and keypad buttons, ambidextrous use. It took getting used to but paid off once you did. As always though, your mileage may vary. I respect that.

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette

• Like 2

Personally, I always liked the Intellivision controllers: 16 directions, side and keypad buttons, ambidextrous use. It took getting used to but paid off once you did. As always though, your mileage may vary. I respect that.

Agreed.....i credit Space Battle for my love of the controller. When Dad first brought home this system there were two games. Black Jack and Space Battle. I logged about 6 months of my life on space battle in the early 80's and that game really helped train my thumb on the disc for future games.

Yeah, Astrosmash would have been cooler had i had a joystick but it was not that big of a deal to me. Now, my 2600 pals would bitch and moan about the disc when i'd stomp them on Astrosmash. Funny thing though......they'd always find their way over to my place to play games versus me going to their house to play 2600.

That all changed when the new kid that moved into the neighborhood brought his Colecovision into the mix.

• Like 1