IGNORED

Wii save files not loading...

homerj

I haven't played my Wii in a while. Last night my daughter wanted to play Kirby Return to Dreamland so I fired it up. We had played it together quite a bit & made a lot of progress but for some reason it didn't recognize the save file. The file is present in system memory & Is even still preset on an SD card I copied it to a while back. I tried other games whose save data loaded just fine but Donkey King Country Returns would load its save data either. If the save files got corrupted in the system memory would they also be corrupted on the SD card even if the file was copied to it before it became corrupted?

I have had this happen with several Wii games in the past. I would play said game for while and everything was great. Then play something different for a bit and then when coming back to the other game a few weeks later, it would tell me there was a problem reading from the save file. I believe I had this issue happen twice with Little Kings Story and like two other games as well. Might have been Kirby now that I think about it.

Well..now that I think about it, there is a CR2032 coin battery in the Wii and I believe the Wii U as well. I thought they were only there for date and time, but perhaps they have something to do with the saves on the internal system as well?

There's a battery compartment on both the original backwards compatible Wii and the Wii U (I've never seen either Wii redesign in person, so I don't know about those). There's a single screw that secures the compartment and then you just slide the tray out and replace the battery.

But I don't think it's connected to your issue though. I'm no expert on this stuff, but if I was to take a shot in the dark at it, I'd say that your Wii's 512 MB flash chip has some bad sectors. But if your Wii isn't keeping time when unplugged from the wall, it can't hurt to replace it and see what happens.

Did you try deleting the save file on your Wii's internal memory and then transferring back over the copy that you have saved on SD card?

Edited by Atariboy

I agree that as far as I know, the 2032 coin batteries are only for keeping date and time when you have the wii unplugged. It could be a corrupted save file to begin with so even copying from the SD back to system internal, you still end up with a copy of an already corrupted file.

I would delete all the saves on the system internal related to the game and then start a new game. Save the game at some point. Then come back to it the next day and see if you can restore from the save? If you can, then make a copy of that save.

Honestly when I've had this happen, I just had to start over again. Sucks but again i believe Kirby is known to have a bug with saving.