IGNORED

New Coleco RGB board?

SiLic0ne t0aD

4 hours ago, emmanuelf said:

If you're using this as a way to disagree with me, I will quote from the first paragraph:

"This glassware equals or exceeds the finest crystal in lead content and comes very close to being defect free in both contaminant-induced artifacts and optical properties."

You're citing general info about CRTs used for televisions, which have a different materials construction from monitor tubes (and is shown in the materials used in monochrome CRTs.

• 2 weeks later...

No need to be sorry.  The more I've investigated, the more I've found these things hiding in the cracks.  I only spotted this attempt from New Zealand a few weeks ago (where they had RGB output for the SC-3000 in mind instead of the Colecovision).  It looks like they went through a lot of the same steps as we did here, only three years ago.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were another half-dozen people that have worked on the same thing over the years.

21 hours ago, Falonn said:

No need to be sorry.  The more I've investigated, the more I've found these things hiding in the cracks.  I only spotted this attempt from New Zealand a few weeks ago (where they had RGB output for the SC-3000 in mind instead of the Colecovision).  It looks like they went through a lot of the same steps as we did here, only three years ago.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were another half-dozen people that have worked on the same thing over the years.

Yeah, I've seen quite a few others over the years myself.  Many years ago I tried to build a ColecVision to component video mod based loosely on the "TMS9928/29 and TMS9128/29 Interface to Color Monitors" report.  While I got an image, I got the dreaded blue tint all over the screen.  As I didn't have a clue about what I was doing with analogue video signals, other than being handy with a soldering iron, I gave up.  At least I enjoyed the process ?

• 4 weeks later...

As a footnote: I went back and annotated the "TMS9928/29 and TMS9128/29 Interface to Color Monitors" document, otherwise known as the "TMS Doc" earlier in this thread.

This version highlights all (9!) known mistakes, including a new pair I only just discovered in the description of the blue channel conversion.  If we discover more, I'll keep it updated in the same place.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is just a guess, since TI's suffix designations are a bit of voodoo that can mean anything from performance differences to how they are sold in bulk (tube, box, etc), but I know that the chips can come in either ceramic or plastic packaging.  Maybe the "L" means "pLastic".  Or maybe it means "Lead free", though that may not have been a concern during the chip's manufacturing lifetime.

Anyway, if the chips are cheap enough, it shouldn't be a huge concern to try one.  They all have the same pinout and respond to the same programming.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...