IGNORED

New Coleco RGB board?

SiLic0ne t0aD

Here are some dumb questions. So this does video only. Then you need to grab sound from the sound chip pins right? Also this would hook up to what a modern computer monitor? What uses rgb?

Does anyone have a schematic for where to put the wires for the mini 8 pin din?

Are all devices the same for pin location when it comes to rgb?

I found a 8 pin mini din cable they are 10 bucks plus shipping.

The connector in the CV would be male or female? 8 to 12 weeks for parts to build.

Will there be a kit with instructions so if your not a video expert or live close to a electronics depot you can install in one day?

I have been thru this before and usually takes several online purchases untill the complete and correct parts list is on hand.

Edited by Jinks

For sound you would need to grab that yourself. The same location as a composite video mod can be used for the audio.

The RGB input is accepted using monitors with a RGBS port, a framemeister, generic SCART to HDMI converter, OSSC, RGB to Component converter, etc.

You do not have to use the 8pin miniDIN port. That is just an option. The pinout would depend on the connector you choose for output.

Again the connector for the Colecovision is solely at your discretion. Most people are choosing to use 8pin miniDIN or 8pin DIN. Those connectors are generally female.

I have not created installation instructions yet. It's on the agenda but there isn't really much to know since the board install is pretty self explanatory. Proper tuning does require using an oscilloscope. So assuming you don't own an oscilloscope you will either have to adjust it by eye, which will be basically impossible to get perfect, or you can have it adjusted by someone else.

Proper tuning does require using an oscilloscope. So assuming you don't own an oscilloscope you will either have to adjust it by eye, which will be basically impossible to get perfect, or you can have it adjusted by someone else.

Is there any risk of equipment damage if tuning without an oscilloscope?

I was planning on running composite mod out to a CRT and RGB mod out to my Framemeister feeding my LCD simultaneously, then tuning the mod board by eye using the CRT as reference until it's "good enough".

If there's a chance of damaging the Framemeister I'll have to find someone with an oscilloscope before I can proceed...

I have the first pass of the install documentation done. Feedback is appreciated. I am not a technical writer so there may be parts that don't make sense. This should be good enough to get most people going though.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NvfS7vkkrOxT-PoTnqYsODWaeIp0QdnK

Overall the document looks pretty good. I would remove the option to pull the audio directly from the sound chip as this will cause sound issues with the SuperGame Module and expansion module 1. The general preferred audio tap is the leg of C88 closest to the RF box.

• Like 1

Yes, Audio from Left side of C88 when facing the front / top of console. You should be able to find the pad on underside of board if you want to keep wiring all on the bottom. From there it wires directly to the audio pin on the DIN (mini DIN) connector.

On page 7 I would have the picture in the same orientation as picture on page 5.

I wired from the RGB board under the PCB, cutting the bottom metal shield in the area where the ribbon cable passes through.

Is there a test rom to make the screen RED, then BLUE, then GREEN so Pots can be adjusted? Or perhaps white is all 3 colors at full power?

Yes, Audio from Left side of C88 when facing the front / top of console. You should be able to find the pad on underside of board if you want to keep wiring all on the bottom. From there it wires directly to the audio pin on the DIN (mini DIN) connector.

On page 7 I would have the picture in the same orientation as picture on page 5.

I wired from the RGB board under the PCB, cutting the bottom metal shield in the area where the ribbon cable passes through.

Is there a test rom to make the screen RED, then BLUE, then GREEN so Pots can be adjusted? Or perhaps white is all 3 colors at full power?

I am definitely the first to admit that writing how to guides is not my thing, so thank you guys for the responses. I definitely don't intend for this to be the final version of the document. So I will definitely look at making all the changes suggested. I am also trying to get the layout a bit better. I don't like how Word moved pictures away from their respective steps. I did try to make some adjustments in Adobe but it was not cooperating the way I had hoped.

I know citrus3000psi said he was adjusting with a pure white screen. If there is a test rom, I would definitely like to get a hold of it. For the audio, you are right on the money with my goals on the bottom side. I was trying to offer a way to pull the audio without needing to use the top side of the board. That way everything could be connected from underneath.