IGNORED

2017 Game Of The Year?

mr_intv

What the hell happened to the thread I started? I shouldnt have expected anything else. I love you all in some weird blocky pixelated sort of way. I have not spent a lot of time with JR Pacman and Im not going to state all the bugs because I have not seen all of them but the 2 that I have experienced a few times do hamper the overall fun factor for me.....for now......those being the level not completing and when the level suddenly ends as Im still munching away. I have the utmost confidence that these issues will be dealt with and Ill (well) all enjoy this game for what it is. For me, even with buggy issues, this is a very good game. I did not believe m-crew was trying to start a riot, I dunno, its just a game with some bugs that are getting worked out. Im sure a patch or a fix or whatever the proper term is will be out soon enough.

Welcome to the internet...

The dot counting problem did not show up in testing in jzintv or on lto for me except after it was pointed out, but I was only able to recreate it in the two player mode, (which I didn't personaly test much and I don't believe 2 player alternating modes are worth a programmer time given how little people actually play these homebrews, let alone two players together)

The real problem cropped up on the boards that were produced, directly or indirectly to the fact that JR required 2k of ram on the board. Whether defective ram or Incorrect ram is unknown at this time.

All this aside, Anyone expecting bug free games had better stop buying homebrews ;)

I kinda think my spamming has subsided as of recent past or a little longer. Any outside perspective on my spamming???? I can fully understand you on that end. I pledge to not spam as much.

Everyone is free to criticize all they want, has never stopped anyone in the past.

Just be prepared if anyone wishes to refute or rebut if need be.

As I said, I reduced my activity here in the last years, so I just know you from the past.

As for refuting: I don't really see this here. I just see a heated up discussion which seems to have roots somewhere else. As a person who never played the mentioned games and who also never looked in the threads where this discussion probably started it seems more a personal problem between you and m-crew than a discussion about the bugs. So I guess there was bad blood between you both, but as I said: Never read anything about that anywhere, so this assumption is based on just this thread here.

For Copter Command I dont really see how its rebuted and to be quite honest: I am a bit surprised that you forgot about that, because I made contact to you first when I noticed it and I also checked it several times in different modes. May you don't call it game breaking, but if you dont I think you should reconsider your definition, because even in the hardest mode its not that hard to reach that point and when you once reach the game is basically over.

Edited by Ignorama

Welcome to the internet...

The dot counting problem did not show up in testing in jzintv or on lto for me except after it was pointed out, but I was only able to recreate it in the two player mode, (which I didn't personaly test much and I don't believe 2 player alternating modes are worth a programmer time given how little people actually play these homebrews, let alone two players together)

The real problem cropped up on the boards that were produced, directly or indirectly to the fact that JR required 2k of ram on the board. Whether defective ram or Incorrect ram is unknown at this time.

All tgis aside, Anyone expecting bug free games had better stop buying homebrews ;)

The heart of this particular matter with regards to Jr Pac Man is the assumption (by some) that it was not thoroughly beta tested. Which was opposite of the facts. Like you say, it is a hardware issue.

Which I am 100 percent at fault with this. Priorly I would get ‘test carts’ sent to me of games for real world testing. This practice kind of went away with LTO Flash. (Not blaming LTO Flash). It played fine on a multicart on a real console. All future games will have to have test pcbs sent out of course now. No big deal really. Really sorry anyone’s enjoyment has been ruined. Cause it’s actually a great game and a blast to play.

Thanks all.

• Like 2

Maybe it’s about personal perspective. To me it was never game breaking and still is not because of one thing. I’m not that good at chopper command, never was. But it’s still one of top ten all time games. I love playing it. So my definition won’t change.

He sure has and there is no denying that, Kiddo's to Rev .But it takes all of us to make a community and no one part is more important to the community then the whole.Cheers

Nah, I’m no cornerstone or anything. Just a rabid intv fan like everyone else here.

The heart of this particular matter with regards to Jr Pac Man is the assumption (by some) that it was not thoroughly beta tested. Which was opposite of the facts. Like you say, it is a hardware issue.

Well, now see the side of the customer: It doesnt matter what causes the problem, there is a problem and so the product is just not working as it was intended to do. Yeah, it sucks and probably no one is more dissapointed about that than the developer and publisher. I completely would understand that. But I have problems to see why the reason of the flaws would take the right to point out this flaws away from customers. If you like the way the customers will do that or not is up to you.

And as a customer I have to say I was really pissed off at a certain point, because I have at least three games in my shelf which are not working as they should be. Its not a single publisher, so dont think I am talking just about you. And when stuff like this happens again and again it starts to grow the anger.

Last point, and here I am talking to you directly: Your problem solving wasnt very good as well. As your Game Factory the problem was recognized after the release and you told us "solution in work". I asked for that a year or so after the release and I dont remember if there was even an answer and if there was it was probably the same. But as it seems there was never any solution, so every european customer just, even me included, accepted that they bought a non-working placeholder for the shelf. It sounds crazy, but it wasnt even a big deal, because it was more a gimmick-release from the beginning. But it would have been very nice to get informed that there wont be a solution.

So if you complain about criticism please dont forget how modest many customers in fact are, that they even accept not working stuff.

Edit: That said I am out here, sorry for distracting.

Edited by Ignorama

“But I have problems to see why the reason of the flaws would take the right to point out this flaws away from customers. If you like the way the customers will do that or not is up to you.” -Ignorama

No one is stopping anyone from pointing or criticizing. Everyone go ahead, nothing is stopping you.

I dont really reveal exact amount of sales, but so far Hotel Bunny has outsold Jr. Pac Man. Go figure.

That's hilarious!

Coming soon: Desert Bus 2018 "Can I win GOTY this time edition" (now with smellier air freshener!).

Seriously guys, while bugs suck, plenty of Mattel and other commercial titles have some serious bugs in them. When you're a multi-million dollar corporation, you might be able to afford replacing them all for free. And they often didn't. The Mattel manuals are FULL of "errata", ie: bugs they knew about but never bothered fixing. Hell, Mattel entirely broke some of their own games with the INTV2! Those were never recalled/re-released AFAIK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STnzOhA2YLw

Getting invincible seems pretty game breaking for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STnzOhA2YLw

Getting invincible seems pretty game breaking for me.

Noticing the score, did the copter become invincible at around 2,560,000?

Edit:not sure why the Reply button screwed up.

Having not played the game much (I know, I know) - is that a fairly high score? I'm reminded of the Kill Screen in Pac-Man, or how you can't get past level 22 in Donkey Kong. Sometimes games just go crazy when you play them long enough.

I put code into Desert Bus to generate a special "end" screen if you actually score 99 points. Which is 33 days of straight driving. And you can only get to it via legit driving - if you use the speed cheat, you'll be found out. Speeding up the emulator makes the game near-impossible as written. The only real way to see it would be via ROM hack. Did I test it all the way through? Yes. Am I positive that on day 32, on real hardware, in real time, the game hasn't crashed yet? Hell no. Sometimes you can't test against insanely good (or patient) players.

• Like 1

Having not played the game much (I know, I know) - is that a fairly high score? I'm reminded of the Kill Screen in Pac-Man, or how you can't get past level 22 in Donkey Kong. Sometimes games just go crazy when you play them long enough.

I put code into Desert Bus to generate a special "end" screen if you actually score 99 points. Which is 33 days of straight driving. And you can only get to it via legit driving - if you use the speed cheat, you'll be found out. Speeding up the emulator makes the game near-impossible as written. The only real way to see it would be via ROM hack. Did I test it all the way through? Yes. Am I positive that on day 32, on real hardware, in real time, the game hasn't crashed yet? Hell no. Sometimes you can't test against insanely good (or patient) players.

I could never get that high on the hardest skill level but this wouldn't be the first game that some people could get in the zone and play indefinitely...or at least until a kill screen or score rollover issue.

Top 10 Reasons why I don't think any game will actually win 2017 GOTY:

1. Too expensive.

2. ROM/cart only (Where's my CIB!?)

3. CIB only (Where's my ROM!?)

4. Took too long to release (Stop testing and release it already!)

5. Released too early with bugs (Why didn't you test more!?)

6. Too many releases (I can't keep up!)

7. Not enough releases [thumb twiddling intensifies]

8. Payment method not offered (Real publishers accept bitcoin :D )

9. _________ shouldn't be included in the vote.

10. Rev sucks!

Seriously though, as a community we're pretty impossible to please.

• Like 7

1. Too expensive.

10. Rev sucks!

Bahahaha! Jason wins the Internet yet again! ????

• Like 1

1. Too expensive.

10. Rev sucks!

11. Rev blows!

(just maintaining the running theme)

I filmed the moment when it happens. So its around this score, yes.

Having not played the game much (I know, I know) - is that a fairly high score?

You have play a while, but its very easy to get there. Its more a question of patience than a question of skill.

Edited by Ignorama

The same people making the same excuses(a common theme), If there are so many flaws and bugs in a game that some people may think it great because the idea or it looks pretty on screen and has all the bells and whistles it still wont make it enjoyable to play or make it a great release or a game of the year.

I understand where all the bugs have arrived from the physical release and were not caught until the public release.

But to defend and defend and for the community to just say hey ill ignore the "I play and it ends on its own or you cant go to the next level"..

Really is there defending that as a minor flaw?

The same few with the same deflecting and arrogant and entitlement views because all are involved in someway in this release or involve in someway emotionally... ;)

As it stands right now in my view only Jr Pac Man is in no way a candidate for game of the year.. That's just my opinion..

Give/Sell me the Rom and that will change for sure because it would be a game you can play and not look at it and see how pretty it is..

Cheers

Edited by m-crew

That's hilarious!

Coming soon: Desert Bus 2018 "Can I win GOTY this time edition" (now with smellier air freshener!).

Seriously guys, while bugs suck, plenty of Mattel and other commercial titles have some serious bugs in them. When you're a multi-million dollar corporation, you might be able to afford replacing them all for free. And they often didn't. The Mattel manuals are FULL of "errata", ie: bugs they knew about but never bothered fixing. Hell, Mattel entirely broke some of their own games with the INTV2! Those were never recalled/re-released AFAIK.

The only Mattel game broken by the Intellivision II, that I know of, was Word Fun. Mattel Electronics did take the decision not to fix word fun, it would have been a very easy fix. They did address it. According to Keith R, Mattel offered to exchange Word Fun for any other Mattel cartridge. This was 1983, some kids took advantage of the offer buying discounted Word Fun cartridges and exchanging them for more expensive cartridges. I don't know if anyone legitimately complained about not being able to play word fun on their Intellivision II. Mattel could then offer to exchange master components if they had to; don't know if they were actually willing to do that but they would have had to do something.

Mattel Electronics didn't even have formal quality control until after Royal Dealer. Supposedly Royal Dealer and B17 Bomber had the worst bugs. I didn't have Royal Dealer but did play lots of B17. If the fatal B17 bug happened to me, I don't remember. Royal Dealer supposedly has documented workarounds. It's remarkable how few serious bugs went out. I was aware of the Star Strike bug but the solution was to just use the left controller. I have never seen and can't reproduce the alleged Space Battle bug even though I have the instructions to reproduce it. Mattel did refuse to release World Championship Baseball because of a fatal bug. I didn't play it that often but I was only ever able to produce the bug one time. Regarding instructions/overlay errors, there's lots of revisions so they did update them. Although, not bugs, Mattel Electronics did issue a few cartridge rom updates after complaints on gameplay.

Edit: And Mattel Electronics was aware of the Word Fun incompatibility with Intellivision II before its release. It was not actually a bug but intended design of the Intellivision II.

Edited by mr_me

The only Mattel game broken by the Intellivision II, that I know of, was Word Fun. Mattel Electronics did take the decision not to fix word fun, it would have been a very easy fix. They did address it. According to Keith R, Mattel offered to exchange Word Fun for any other Mattel cartridge. This was 1983, some kids took advantage of the offer buying discounted Word Fun cartridges and exchanging them for more expensive cartridges. I don't know if anyone legitimately complained about not being able to play word fun on their Intellivision II. Mattel could then offer to exchange master components if they had to; don't know if they were actually willing to do that but they would have had to do something.

Mattel Electronics didn't even have formal quality control until after Royal Dealer. Supposedly Royal Dealer and B17 Bomber had the worst bugs. I didn't have Royal Dealer but did play lots of B17. If the fatal B17 bug happened to me, I don't remember. Royal Dealer supposedly has documented workarounds. It's remarkable how few serious bugs went out. I was aware of the Star Strike bug but the solution was to just use the left controller. I have never seen and can't reproduce the alleged Space Battle bug even though I have the instructions to reproduce it. Mattel did refuse to release World Championship Baseball because of a fatal bug. I didn't play it that often but I was only ever able to produce the bug one time. Regarding instructions/overlay errors, there's lots of revisions so they did update them. Although, not bugs, Mattel Electronics did issue a few cartridge rom updates after complaints on gameplay.

Edit: And Mattel Electronics was aware of the Word Fun incompatibility with Intellivision II before its release. It was not actually a bug but intended design of the Intellivision II.

don't forget the issue with Motocross: the Mattel version doesn't work on PAL systems. It's not only a bug, but a total incompatibility.

Not a little problem, I would dare say...

• Like 1

After being entertained by all that drama, I'm going to vote for Fight For The Cup Super Pro Hockey for game of 2017 and I may be the only one! :)

Even though it's really just an upgrade of Super Pro Hockey, I think it's more challenging, more realistic to the sport (faceoffs occur after each stop in play), period length can be customized so no more quitting after the first period. It's a win-win! :D