IGNORED

SIO2SD oddity - A8 program loader

blakespot

I just got Lotharek's SIO2SD device and did so thru eBay so got the lower price bundle loaded with his SD card full of games and demos.

Sadly, in this setup, the menu program starts to load --- I see the folders listing, and then it boots into the first (alphabetical) item in first folder on SD card -- mid listing. It used to list more of the menu before this happened, now I just see three folders and boom. I am hoding OPTION and SHIFT on the SIO2SD to get menu.

Anyone have any help? Thanks. Using with a 800XL PAL.

bp

Ok this is happening:

The file tree from the eBay bundle on the SD card is:

/atari/

SIO2SD.CFG

Sio2SD.xex

going in further:

/atari/__Anim

/atari/__DEMO

/atari/__GAMES

/atari/__Tools

/atari/__Vbxe

/atari/__Ziny

Sio2SD_CFG_PJ.SET

and looking at the __GAMES dir:

/atari/__GAMES/__Executables

/atari/__GAMES/__Floppy images

/atari/__GAMES/__Trained

and looking at __Trained dir:

/atari/__GAMES/__Trained/AllCat.xex

/atari/__GAMES/__Trained/Arkanoid.xex

/atari/__GAMES/__Trained/Artefakt.xex

What is happening is that the first (alphabetically) file in __Trained is loading after the SIO2SD loader menu loads. I looked at SIO2SD.CFG and AllCat.xex is mentioned in there. So, I deleted SIO2SD.CFG and deleted (moved off SD) AllCat.xex. What happens then is that the same thing happens but with Arkanoid.xex now, and looking at the re-created .CFG file, Arkanoid.xex is named within.

Why in the world is this happening? And more importantly, how can I stop it?

Thanks.

UPDATE: I see that as the file list first appears each dir is quickly selected one after the other drilling down until the .xex is encountered then the system reboots -- very fast. Just as if a key is stuck -- but it's not; I go into BASIC and no repeat key is happening. If I interfere with the situation by wildly keying arrow keys, I am able to get into a situation where no file is selected but there is a repeat pinging sound as if a key is stuck. Again, in BASIC I can type fine.

ANOTHER UPDATE: This only happens on my PAL 800XL, not on my 130XE. So it's specific to one of my machines. How could the system appear ok in BASIC but not under the menu?

YET ANOTHER UPDATE: peek(53279) returns 7 (no function keys being pressed).

bp

Edited by blakespot

UPDATE: I see that as the file list first appears each dir is quickly selected one after the other drilling down until the .xex is encountered then the system reboots -- very fast. Just as if a key is stuck -- but it's not; I go into BASIC and no repeat key is happening. If I interfere with the situation by wildly keying arrow keys, I am able to get into a situation where no file is selected but there is a repeat pinging sound as if a key is stuck. Again, in BASIC I can type fine

Your update confirmed what I suspected: it was getting an input that auto-selected the first item down the tree. The reason why, I can't say, and you've taken some good steps to try to narrow it down. If nobody else has any input, you might try contacting the seller and seeing if they've seen this situation before, or if they have any suggestions.

You could also try older/newer versions of the SIO2SD Atari binary and see if that makes a difference. (Forum search for it.)

lower soi2sd divisor speed... make sure folders are emptied, delete .cfg files.

check power supply voltage under load, so2sd's a power hungry beast in operation, a supply may not work on a more power hungry Atari in combination with a power hungry device...

Edited by _The Doctor__

lower soi2sd divisor speed... make sure folders are emptied, delete .cfg files.

check power supply voltage under load, so2sd's a power hungry beast in operation, a supply may not work on a more power hungry Atari in combination with a power hungry device...

I have a second 1/2 brick and tested it with the 800XL -- same issue.

Can someone tell me what the default value for the SIO2SD's Sio high speed setting is? Thanks.

bp

I'd set the divisor at 08 to get started, then adjust up or down till it makes or breaks I/O, also turn off any weird enhancement that might be set in the firmware...

for instance... TopDrive mode if it's in there should be off

Edited by _The Doctor__

Sounds like the high speed SIO routines in the SIO2SD device are coded for NTSC POKEY timings if it works fine there. There may be a different SIO2SD ROM or loader you need to use for a PAL computer. So I agree with __TheDoctor__'s suggestion to lower SIO speed. ($10 for 2x (38400bps) or $28 for standard 1x (19200bps)

Speaking from experience with my 1050 Mini-Speedy where it had tested OK on a PAL machine, but would not work in high-speed (divisor $09) on an NTSC machine, even with speed limiting caps removed from both the 1050 and the computer until we discovered my EPROM was accidentally programmed with the original PAL ROM, and all was good when re-programmed it with the patched NTSC compatible rom made by Hias last year.

I have one of alsp's SDrive-ARM's, and I have a similar problem with this using anything faster than 2x / POKEY divisor $10 / 54000bps on an NTSC machine.

The menu software is probably behaving erratically due to errors received in the SIO data stream.

Edited by Nezgar
  • Like 2

I agree with The_Doctor & Nezgar - it sounds/seems like it's an NTCS/Pal incompatibility.

You're narrowing down the problem when you said: "ANOTHER UPDATE: This only happens on my PAL 800XL, not on my 130XE. So it's specific to one of my machines. How could the system appear ok in BASIC but not under the menu?"

You're getting some timing (NTSC/PAL) timing/conflict issues...

Sounds like the high speed SIO routines in the SIO2SD device are coded for NTSC POKEY timings if it works fine there. There may be a different SIO2SD ROM or loader you need to use for a PAL computer. So I agree with __TheDoctor__'s suggestion to lower SIO speed. ($10 for 2x (38400bps) or $28 for standard 1x (19200bps)

Hmm, I think this should be not an issue, because the SIO2SD and it´s software were made by polish people, and they use PAL machines.

Blake got this mainboard from me. It was a well tested one - with highspeed divisor 2 w/o any problems (using APE and APE SIO2USB interface). All ports are also well tested over 12 hours in endless loop using the CPS SuperSalt with external test fixture. Of course the evil is in the details, but before assuming the mainboard has a defect I would suggest to use a clean formatted FAT32 SD-Card with fresh created ATARI folder and some ATR files in. Load any working ATR file into D1: and boot. If this works fine, the device is fine.

BR Jurgen

I emailed Lotharek to day asking about this, sending the video and description and he said the solution is simple: "remove old capacitors from READ/WRITE SIO lines."

He said remove and not replace. Lost in translation? I assume I need to replace them. Anyone have a good source for new caps? Thanks.

He also sent this: (attached)

bp

post-5919-0-46517700-1516921492.png

• Like 1