IGNORED

What are you playing on iOS/droid/mobile?

GBA is so evergreen ... I'm finding that I still wish there were one with a standard charging port and a normal headphone jack, but none of the clones are as good as the SP or the Pocket. I recently got a Retro Mini which is wonderful hardware (including a microSD card filled with ...ill-gotten games) but the emulator isn't as good as the real thing. I might need to get a "$40 convenience store droid" (holey shirt what a world we live in) like you to have a proper pocket GBA without having a GBA. Yeah yeah, hard buttons are "needed" for GBA ... I've got enough bluetooth controllers to choke a whale but it's nice to just have a self contained thing in one's pocket, too.

In addition to the usual (chess with friends, words with friends, dashy crashy, reigns, pianista) a lot of my time has gone into chipping away at 2 "social RPG" games on mobile

Lineage II Revolution which is like an MMO for people with lives -- a lot of it can be done on autoplay, which minimizes the boring grindy aspects. There are a few bits where you toon has to battle for hours to get "monster cores" and I just leave my PC running Bluestacks on overnight.

Star Trek Timelines is just full of fan service, lots of cards to collect and some PvP tactical space battles too. It's hooked me in a way that other, similar games don't -- and there seems to be a game like this for just about any comic book or tv or movie series for geeks.

I'm realizing that these are a very different genre from things like Atari or Nintendo, but they're no less "gamey" just because some of the conventions are switched up. Playing a little bit each day, making progress in the "meta game" is very satisfying, and more sticky than a 15 minute blast chasing a high score. I've appreciated some of the modern takes on the old games, like Pac-Man 256 and the "endless social" Galaga game. I'm sure that Crossy Road would have been more than welcome on Atari VCS, optional microtransactions and all, back in the day.

I play little commander a lot. Its a tower defense type game and actually an appropriate type of game for touch screen.

Mostly I play gameboy in various iterations. Their to cheap and readily available to not have one, or several. Past week I've been playing donkeykong.

• Like 1

The most I mess with anymore is casual Pokemon Go use, very rarely Super Mario Run, and the old text game A Dark Room.

Hiragana Pixel Party is pretty solid as a japanese symbol learning/music game. And Neo Turf Masters on android/ios is an easy one to get into. It was too involved for long term use but Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem on either format were excellent and really don't require money at all to enjoy but I didn't want to commit.

Truth is most handheld I do is just randomly pulling out the Gameboy (GBC or GBA) and grabbing a game from the shelf or the everdrive gb and rolling with uCity(sim city conversion) or something legit. If it's not that, it's the rest I already said. I used to be a lot more into the android gaming junk but I rarely turn my tablet on anymore unless I am stuck on the couch awhile or travel and need it which is a shame, but limited time does that. I will whenever the mood hits though fire up Pinball Arcade though as that's an easy one to blow time on or the equal quality ZZZ Zaccarhia Pinball conversion too.

• Like 1

I have 'Lost Treasures of Infocom' on my ipad, but sadly I've spent most of my mobile time playing that dumb Magikarp Jump game, lol. I don't know why I can't stop playing it. ;_;

Lost Treasures of Infocom will be truly lost when you update to iOS11 and 32-bit apps no longer run ... Activision doesn't seem interested in keeping their stuff current. At least the files are easy to find and play in Frotz.

Sad, but not surprising, that a community project is better supported than classic games from giant multinational companies.

• Like 1

Lost Treasures of Infocom will be truly lost when you update to iOS11 and 32-bit apps no longer run ... Activision doesn't seem interested in keeping their stuff current. At least the files are easy to find and play in Frotz.

Sad, but not surprising, that a community project is better supported than classic games from giant multinational companies.

I don't know if Lost Treasures of Infocom supports this, but playing Infocom games under the zmachine emulators with Android text-to-speech and voice recognition turned on is a completely different experience!

Edited by zzip
  • Like 2

GBA lithium ion batteries last for years without a total loss of power from Nintendo at least, some kind of black magic I presume. I decided to sell a GB Micro of mine on ebay I hadn't flipped on in at least a year, still was running along fine on a charge well enough not to warn about low juice.

They turn on, but that charge won't last long if you try to play for a while.

Does anyone know of an easy way to test battery life for that kind of battery, without charging it all the way up and running it all the way down?

Speaking of batteries, I tried to get back into the cartridge thing the other day. Got a 1994 Donkey Kong GameBoy cartridge from Ebay (even though I've owned it several times and probably SHOULD have one already) ... save battery is dead, I don't have any in the house (though I do have 3 other types of button batteries!) and replacement ostensibly involves soldering. I'll fake it with electrical tape but it's starting to dawn on me just how old I am. 1994 was a long time ago.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...