IGNORED

What are you playing on iOS/droid/mobile?

Just a shout out thanks here. I've not enjoyed phone touchy games much at all for awhile, but I find myself playing that Grumpy Cat game almost every single day at least for 5min or more as it really is a solid wario ware touched clone. The fact you can get extra cats which makes for added minigames is excellent.

Kingpin Bowling is featured in the App Store today. I like the look and music, and the gameplay reminds me of what I like about "classic gaming." Free to start, and you can remove ads for two bucks, which is something I usually do for things I like, whenever possible.

This is iOS only. Looks like there's a POS knockoff on the Play Store for Android. Boo.

• 1 month later...

The last mobile game I remember really getting into was Solitarica. I beat it and then moved on, but I couldn't find another offline to play wherever I go. I often find myself in situations where I don't have an internet connection and most games aren't an option (I love Hearthstone, but I can't play it most of the places I go.) Solitarica was amazing though.

Microtrip. Your a wiggly blob falling through an environment, eating white things and avoiding being poked by spikes. Sometimes you can get a pill that will do various things to you, attract food, push away spikes, he small to more easily dodge, or big to just smash through things.

I like that there are two control methods, tilt to move, or touch to move.

Very simple game, but it's amusing to watch the guy jiggle and squeeze through the environment.

• Like 1

I know it's semi off the topic since I'm not playing it, but has anyone ever got a successful build for ios or android going of Micropolis (aka Sim City Classic?) That would be a great time eater on the go. I know there's a semi-working web based one but mobile browsers don't cut it.

• 1 month later...

I know it's semi off the topic since I'm not playing it, but has anyone ever got a successful build for ios or android going of Micropolis (aka Sim City Classic?) That would be a great time eater on the go. I know there's a semi-working web based one but mobile browsers don't cut it.

Pocket City is the crowd favorite right now. No micro transactions or timers, SimCity done right. https://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/pocket-city/

Unrelated: remember Castle Crashers? Wonder Blade is like that. Super bloody, but good fun too. https://toucharcade.com/2018/08/09/wonder-blade-first-impressions/

Wow I like that first one, feels like almost the tweaks they did to the classic game for the DS release over a decade ago which worked well. It didn't have the Xp system but that does make some good sense on a free game so you don't just unlock all the crazy stuff at once, and also you can't just lag around for a date to pop to just get tech. Earning it and for a $5 buy with no harassment seems very nice.

I never was into castle crashers but that does look like it would be fun for someone who was and at $3 that's very nice for a price point.

I put a little more time on that city builder very late last night and the curve it has is quite encouraging. THe price of spreading out to new real estate chunks on the maps inches up so it make you along with gaining experience and new options for building to keep the game more fresh than just waiting on cash to wash rinse repeat with old Sim City but doesn't lose that niceness of it either. It doesn't seem to delve into annoying ordinance whiners and no underground time wasting on that stuff either.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Lots of big-name Japanese console games on mobile today, all pay-once premium games, no free-to-play shenanigans. All 3 will be on both Android and iOS.

- Monster Hunter Stories (note there's a free demo called MHST Beginnings that will transfer your progress to the paid game)

- Harvest Moon: Light of Hope

- Professor Layton and the Curious Village

If there were any doubt: mobile devices are the new 3DS/Vita.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, and Stardew Valley is coming to iOS really soon now, Android to follow. Civilization VI on iPhone too. I'm one satisfied dork right now.

wow, stardew on ios? that's sweet!

i'm still just chunking along with Word Cookies, Spookiz Pop, and Mario Run lol- I should look at some of the more 'in-depth' games.

I keep wanting to buy that, but I waffle and don't because Harvest Moon confused me so badly on SNES and N64 as I never could get anything to grow despite supposedly following online walkthroughs enough, bad luck I guess, no digital green thumb. Yet seeing Stardew it looked like a more fun better designed modern setup of that same game. It's very tempting, so I may have to see when it happens, and if perhaps a nice iOS discount pops up at some rate depending on the opening value as I'd hate to be trapped if I didn't care for it.

I'm still messing with Dragalia Lost but it seems to have hit an inconvenience wall I've noticed and hard. Once you clear out Ch5 #6 opens up another section of the game and ability to play hard mode on past stages. The problem is the game seems to be grossly miss reporting the recommended team MIGHT level to attempt a stage (normal or hard mode.) I'm going in on stuff like the 2nd stage of Ch6 or Ch1 on HARD and getting slapped around and barely finishing or killed and my might is like 1-1.2K higher than the recommended. My team is well set with nice gear, all 4-5 star level dragons and cards, but still getting smoked. I think the game has some balancing problems or they want to more strongly encourage spending than like with Animal Crossing or Fire Emblem. I'm thinking once I can get my castle grounds up to lv100, when I can do smithy lv4, and I can get the 4star tier of weapons to use maybe I'll survive ok then dealing notably more damage hopefully. Otherwise this game is going to end up being a random poke and forgotten as it's getting to be a grating and not rewarding kind of grind sadly.

Edited by Tanooki

Prince of Persia: Escape

Feels like the old game, but without the thinking. That suits me just fine.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ketchapp.pope&hl=en_US

https://itunes.apple.com/uy/app/prince-of-persia-escape/id1435320545?mt=8

Also, Icewind Dale (Bioware D&D RPG) is on sale for two bucks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AppHookup/comments/9n1tbo/android_ios_icewind_dale_enhanced_edition_999_199/

I no longer can recommend the game Dragalia Lost. (Short answer without description why -- It's a misleading whale game.)

Once you hit Chapter 6 the levels they tell you that you need to be with your MIGHT level vs what a stage asks for is 100% broken. The game once you get the last of the elemental dragons (Ch5 finish) is basically broken. You'll have stages where your might is 1000-1500 higher than what is required to take down a stage and you get your ass handed to you by the game. At this rate due to what it costs to level up various aspects to get into tier2 (4star) weaponry takes a lot of excessive grinding for stuff vs a very limited small stamina bar that refills like 1 tick every 10min so you're basically strongly but outright indirectly goaded into paying to level up. Nintendo appears to have by publishing this 100% outside piece of work falling into the asshole realm of whale fishing. If you have the patience to stick with it for days/weeks to just inch up once you break past that point in the game, more power to you, but I'm strongly now considering erasing it because what it tells you you need to be vs what you have to be to do a basic common stage map is a fucking lie to be blunt about it.

I do wonder how well Icewind Dale would handle on a little iphone though. I would think touch controls could get you mauled, but on the up side unlike the PC version you'll likely have cloud saves so your progress isn't lost if something crumbles (which happened to a lot of work on the PC release I was doing over a year ago.)

I have three games on my Google Pixel 2 XL

-Final Freeway, Temple Run 2, and Worms: 2.

I enjoy all of them and would like to play more on my phone.

I'd rather start for free and then pay 1-5 bucks to remove ads if I like the game.

i can't stand games that rely on money to advance or win the game, like Clash of Clans and crap like that

I have three games on my Google Pixel 2 XL

-Final Freeway, Temple Run 2, and Worms: 2.

I enjoy all of them and would like to play more on my phone.

I'd rather start for free and then pay 1-5 bucks to remove ads if I like the game.

i can't stand games that rely on money to advance or win the game, like Clash of Clans and crap like that

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.treemengames.pako2

• Like 1