IGNORED

GEX : almost horrible!

I just read the topic about the horrible DOOM port and it reminded me of this juicy story : the development of GEX
It's a classic gaming industry tale of poor/greedy/near-sighted management VS well-intent devs and designers.
Crystal Dynamics today is a huge name in the business, owning such franchises as Tomb Raider and being owned by none other than Square Enix, but they started out modest with some quality titles on the 3DO.

Crash n Burn was their firt commercial release, and it's one of my favorite 3DO games and it just might be in my personal top 25. Then they made GEX, but they almost didn't.

I agree with the comment, Dude, I loved GEX...Funny that comment was 16 years ago...Time flies...Sounds like even though I liked GEX a lot, it could have been way cooler if they had the time and resources....

True dat. But really, because the 3DO company's business model relied on licensing money from hardware, the software licenses were cheaper and this helped launch many studios that are still around today, such as Crystal Dynamics and Naughty Dog (!!!!). Even Studio 3DO themselves were pretty experimental in their game design. They took risks and made some pretty decent games, like Blade Force.

​I like that the system remains integral to the current gaming landscape even if it was considered a failure.

I have played Gex on the Saturn. Is it the same game, graphics the same, or worth it to try on 3DO?

I don't know wether this justifies getting the 3DO version other than for collection purposes, but I seem to recall there being an extra world and more visual items on screen. Also the 3DO version has a save feature while the PS1/Saturn versions have passwords.

​There is talk of a "secret" ending in the 3DO version, Ive never completed GEX so I don't know much about it, and I don't know if that made its way to the ports.

​I want to like GEX, but in this day and age I can't stand a platformer where the character is always slightly behind the middle and the camera has to "snap" when you change direction.

The Doom port I didn't like, not with the outer bars/frame thing or whatever it is called. I personally really liked the Sega Saturn version tho it gets a lot of flack and I did notice some issues with the visuals on it. I attached a picture I took a few months back the last time I played it and you can see how the monster is see through. I think that was a known issue and a lot of people found it to be unplayable. But hell Doom is such a great game I can enjoy it on any console! I just personally felt the Jaguar was the BEST version but was not a fan of the 3DO version with the frames, Saturn was great tho there were some issues with the visuals

27335074_1970594946299208_1591906934_o.j

Edited by UHATEIT

The 3do:the best port of wolfstein..and the worst port of doom.

Yes. Oui. 100%

I'll still say that the Atari Jaguar port of Wolfenstein 3D is still the BEST port of that game. Also the best port of Doom IMO as well :)

Have you played both? The smoothed graphics, lightning fast frame rate, remixed orchestral soundtrack, german language and no-censorship on the 3DO, as well as having all the missions including the expansions and new weapons truly make it the definitive port.

The only​ complaint I have about the 3DO Wolfenstein is that the screen doesn't flash red when you get shot. It makes it hard to notice you're being blindsided sometimes, and that can get annoying in the middle of a solid run.

I used to have the Jaguar version back in my jaguar days..I rememeber being a very fun game but my level of enjoyment didn't match what I have with the 3do. I am curious about Out of this World/Another World/Outter World on the Jaguar. The 3do is by far the best although some fan might dislike this "adulterated" version.

Yes. Oui. 100%

Have you played both? The smoothed graphics, lightning fast frame rate, remixed orchestral soundtrack, german language and no-censorship on the 3DO, as well as having all the missions including the expansions and new weapons truly make it the definitive port.

The only​ complaint I have about the 3DO Wolfenstein is that the screen doesn't flash red when you get shot. It makes it hard to notice you're being blindsided sometimes, and that can get annoying in the middle of a solid run.

I still think the Jaguar port is the BEST of Wolfenstein, it is glorious! No issues with it at all. The screen flashes from what I remember

I used to have the Jaguar version back in my jaguar days..I rememeber being a very fun game but my level of enjoyment didn't match what I have with the 3do. I am curious about Out of this World/Another World/Outter World on the Jaguar. The 3do is by far the best although some fan might dislike this "adulterated" version.

I haven't played the Jaguar version of Another World as it is ungodly expensive (I have a rom that I can flash to my skunkboard but it will not load for some reason) But the 3DO version seems to be pretty nice, I watched a playthrough and it was only like 25 minutes to beat the whole game so I might just try and give it a go