IGNORED

Thoughts on forum classifications: What is "development"?

OLD CS1

What is "development"?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Regarding software discussions, what constitutes "development?"

• Writing new or re-writing existing software.
    • Interrogatories and "how do I" questions, which may or may not lead to the use or creation of a program.
    • "How-to" discussions involving one or more programming languages.
    • Tasks which require line numbers or source file(s) resulting in an executable program.
    • In-depth descriptions or technical break-downs of programming languages.
    • Anything at all which involves programming.
    • Other (include in discussion.)
  2. 2. Regarding hardware discussions, what constitutes "development?"

• Creation of new compatible hardware.
    • Modification of existing or compatible hardware.
    • Interrogatories and "how do I" questions, which may or may not lead to the use or creation of a piece of hardware.
    • "How-to" discussions involving creating new compatible hardware.
    • "How-to" discussions involving modifying existing or compatible hardware.
    • Tasks which require solder, irons, electronic components, etc. related or unrelated to TI hardware.
    • In-depth descriptions or technical break-downs of compatible hardware.
    • Anything at all which involves compatible hardware, whether new or existing.
    • Other (include in discussion.)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The discussion on new sub-forums has me postulating the potential for forum restructuring. As such, a very basic question of great philosophical import has presented itself:

What is development?

It seems people have differing perceptions of what should be classified as a development discussion. Indeed, in pursuit of this definition I decided to reach one step further and ask, what is programming?

I have folded my discoveries into the poll attached. You will be helping greatly by answering and discussing.

• Like 1

If it involves any kind of programming or hardware hack, then in my view it is development. No need to get fussy with subdivisions. What would help would be using existent threads if applicable to reduce clutter although frankly the forum search function is not the greatest...

• Like 2

For me it is very simple:

Development is the discussion of creation.

If your thread is created to discuss programming something new or making a new piece of hardware, it is development.

If someone is asking questions like How do I make a print loop in TI BASIC, I dont consider that development...

If that person decides to write a game called PRINT LOOP TI-BASIC BEER PONG, then the discussion of writing that game would qualify as development.

Dont know if that makes any sense. I dont know if it even makes sense to me at this point.

• Like 3

To me, "development" covers a very broad area. On AtariAge I see it as covering the germination of an idea, to and including the process involved in the evolution and refinement, via testing and trial to its ultimate conclusion in the release of a new program/product.

I'm with Vorticon on his feelings concerning sub-divisions. We are a fairly laid back fun place to hang out, so whether is an entirely new product, an add-on or a modification it's all good.

Opry99er also made a good point about "How do I do this" type questions NOT being development. Learning how to use a tool from a soldering iron to a computer language would be under a different heading.

Just my two bits since the question was posed.

• Like 1

I only mentioned my thoughts on the structuring lead to this inquiry. Try not to focus so much on that but rather the specific verbiage of the questions themselves. Remember, also, we exist in a "programming" forum to start with; specifically, this exercise is to suss out whether development carries an independent meaning.

Yes, we are in a programming subforum... Thats why I think that programming questions are perfectly appropriate in the main forum. For a *development* subforum, specifically, that seems like a place to share projects and keep logs of updates, etc.

I have seen our forum change over the last 9 years... I remember the day we got this forum over here. I remember the posts for first months were almost all about programming. Now we have so many gadgets and toys that a large portion of questions are related to technical support and ways to enjoy the hobby via emulation and such.

I think it is good... but it does raise interesting questions, like the ones OLD CS1 is posing now.

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 1

Remember, also, we exist in a "programming" forum to start with; specifically, this exercise is to suss out whether development carries an independent meaning.

Yes, we are in a programming subforum... Thats why I think that programming questions are perfectly appropriate in the main forum. For a *development* subforum, specifically, that seems like a place to share projects and keep logs of updates, etc.

I have seen our forum change over the last 9 years... I remember the day we got this forum over here. I remember the posts for first months were almost all about programming. Now we have so many gadgets and toys that a large portion of questions are related to technical support and ways to enjoy the hobby via emulation and such.

Yes. - I think it works like this: Originally we were placed under "Game Programming" and then "Programming", which seemed to fit very nicely in the beginning. Now we are placed under "Gaming General" and then "Classic Computing". Like this ...

Gaming General

-- Classic Computing

---- TI-99/4A Computers

------ TI-99/4A Development

Game Programming

-- Programming

---- TI-99/4A Programming

In the forums and search hierarchy, you will still find the above. The last "TI-99/4A Programming" points to the "TI-99/4A Development".

What I pointing out is, we might not be located too much under something called programming anymore. And then we're still very much located under something to do with games.

Either way, I don't think it matters exactly were we are located at AtariAge, the important thing is, that we're here, with relatively easy access and options, and it has flourished pretty darn well.

;)

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 2

Also, take a look at the Development Resources pinned post in Development. I think that is pretty much defining that part of the forums as it stands. It includes Hardware and Software and even opens up with emulation...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/153704-ti-994a-development-resources/

But in general and more to the point. I agree with the comments above in regards to Development being a creators endeavor. making something, developing it whether hardware or software. And as such, tech support questions regarding old original hardware probably wouldn't go good there, and i don't see much of it, that's usually in the parent forum topics afaics. :)

If you're a painter, you develop paintings, a photographer develops photographs, creators, making things, so in regards to the TI-99/4a anything being developed for it or even with it.

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 1

the way i always interpreted the two forums was like this:

TI-99 4A Computers - anything and everything about the TI and its users/enthusiasts (people, events, publications, games, consoles, troubleshooting, TI-related products, etc etc)

TI-99 4A Development - anything and everything regarding programming, hardware development, etc etc

Typically if I had a question about something that was 'generally' about the TI i'd ask it in the Computer forum. If i had a question about, say, Extended Basic, I tended to ask in the Development forum.

That being said, there is SO MUCH info that sometimes it's hard to search specifically for what I need/want :) Not a bad thing, of course- i'm thrilled to be part of a super active community to support my hobby.

The question is about what you consider to be development, to determine if that definition differs from programming in terms of software and how it applies to hardware.

The forum/sub-forum question is another thread which begat this question.

I hope you are not looking for consensus on this (you won't get it).

Personally I agree with Opry99er, "creating" is the key concept. "Development" is dealing with creating hardware, writing software, learning a language, low-level or in-depth discussions, etc. Everything else falls into "using" the system, which includes hardware-centric topics like installing a mod, using new or old hardware or software, how-to's, help, troubleshooting, discussion about using software, games, etc.

• Like 3

I agree, but not completely, with most of what has been posted here. I do have one addition that I believe is, and has been, very important since the TI-99/4A became an orphan. Enhancements to the programming languages we use to make programming easier for the programmer; such as, enhancements to create better graphics, interface & control new hardware, access extended CPU & VDP memory (RAM/ROM & GRAM/GROM), etc.

Development can be design work, art work, writing pseudo code, wire wrapping, programming, writing documentation... pretty much anything that ends up part of a hardware or software project.

I have this great idea for a game, now one of you go code it for me doesn't quite qualify unless you have spent some time actually doing design work.
Most of those type of topics are a bit lacking.

***I have this great idea for a game, now one of you go code it for me*** These kind of topics dont quite qualify unless you have spent some time actually doing design work.

Most of the above type of topics are a bit lacking.

I re-formatted your response, since it looks like your quotation marks were stripped out and it made your post possibly confusing. :)

• Like 1