IGNORED

Is there a complete list of 400/800-packaged software in this style?

BoatofCar

I was contemplating starting to collect boxed A8 software in this style:

pac-man-atari-400-800.jpg

Is there a name for this style of packaging (yellow stripe on the bottom, black stripe at the top, hand-drawn, full width art), and a checklist of it somewhere?

Edited by BoatofCar

Much pre-XL software, ie before 1983 was this style. Usually in way oversized boxes.

Which becomes a problem since people tend to keep the cartridge, the box gets crappy so thrown out. Instruction manuals not far behind.

I have several brown carts which would all have been packaged this way, but no instructions or box for any of them.

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 1

Much pre-XL software, ie before 1983 was this style. Usually in way oversized boxes.

Which becomes a problem since people tend to keep the cartridge, the box gets crappy so thrown out. Instruction manuals not far behind.

I have several brown carts which would all have been packaged this way, but no instructions or box for any of them.

Yeah, I know. I'm the same way. I dig the boxes, though. I wish there was an easy way to search eBay for them.

I like those big boxes to. Makes me sick to think I had most if not all of them back in the day. And I was meticulous in their care and took a lot of pride in the way I had them displayed. Sad to say I sold off the lot back in 1990, sure wish I hadn't now. I'd like to start up a collection now and I'd really like to find a nice complete boxed copy of Space Invaders and go from there.

• Like 2

What about utilities? Didn’t BASIC come in a 400/800 big box?

I think so; I may have one of those big boxes in my garage, inside a THE PROGRAMMER box.

Anyway, I love those giant boxes, too. The first titles I got for my 400 were like that too back in the day. I distinctly remember having big-box versions of MISSILE COMMAND, PAC-MAN and STAR RAIDERS. :)

• Like 1

What about utilities? Didn’t BASIC come in a 400/800 big box?

Some did. But they could have been another color (Blue). But you are correct, but I thought you were just looking for the style you list. I just noticed I don't list the box size for Utility carts. The ones come to mind are Telelink 1 (also comes in small box), Basic (also comes in small box), Logo (also comes in more than one style), Pilot, Assembler editor, educational system master, .....

There are some other big boxes like AtariLab boxes.

• Like 2

Try this list, all known carts (try known PROD cartridges - atari tab). I list the box style, so you're looking for large box black. Those are the CXL large boxes.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/210745-cartridge-list-for-the-atari-8-bit-computers-400800xlxe-computers/

Just what I was looking for, thank you!

When you say big boxes, you mean like this (see attached file)? I have to say, I was a little irritated when I open the box the first time and that little

cartridge and a manual is all that came out. I guess they needed room for the eye catching art.

David

post-47264-0-09957500-1517530587_thumb.jpg

Edited by DavidMil

I love them all, big box, small box, black box, silver box. I'm starting to collect them too. Eventually I'll have 800 and XL lines set-up, in my man-cave and Boxes matching the line and era will be shelved accordingly next to the matching computer line.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When you say big boxes, you mean like this (see attached file)? I have to say, I was a little irritated when I open the box the first time and that little

cartridge and a manual is all that came out. I guess they needed room for the eye catching art.

David

Yeah, it's a shame Atari didn't utilize all that space to put in some ephemera that would become popular in the later PC days...maps, trinkets, thinks like that.