IGNORED

UnoCart-2600 : a DIY SD multi-cart for the 2600

electrotrains

The keyword is "support". AFAIK currently it is missing the drivers to support more than what is described.

The initial release did not support 512K, but DirtyHairy added a 512K implementation of 3E and 3F schemes and I added ACE, a new ARM based scheme which gives full access to the hardware. If you order the UnoCart today you can definitely get it with the firmware that supports those specs.

• Like 1

I've added a bullet point about the planned stand-alone version, and a presenter note about the 2 UnoCart specific games.

I got the photo and specs from here, I gather they were increased at some point and this wasn't updated.

https://github.com/robinhedwards/UnoCart-2600

Looks much better that what I had, must also be a more current design than the photo I'd found.

Thanks!

You can find more information at the website selling them:

https://www.thebrewingacademy.com/

Let me know what you would like as far as pictures and I can get them to you.

-M

EDIT: Attached a copy of the manual

TBA 2600 UNO Manual.pdf

• Like 2

The initial release did not support 512K, but DirtyHairy added a 512K implementation of 3E and 3F schemes and I added ACE, a new ARM based scheme which gives full access to the hardware. If you order the UnoCart today you can definitely get it with the firmware that supports those specs.

ZackAttack is correct. All 2600-UNO carts sold by me include the latest full release firmware. If you send me a note at time of order, I can easily put the beta firmware on there for you, but you can also do it yourself via the SD card with the firmware shipped with it.

• Like 1

You can find more information at the website selling them:

Thanks, didn't realize they were already available. Current slides as follows, if you prefer a different photo let me know and I'll put it in. I've added a presenter comment "comes with label, provide your own cart":

post-3056-0-86619100-1539890421_thumb.jpeg

post-3056-0-68085100-1539890428_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks, didn't realize they were already available. Current slides as follows, if you prefer a different photo let me know and I'll put it in. I've added a presenter comment "comes with label, provide your own cart":

attachicon.gif2018 HAE.001.jpeg

attachicon.gif2018 HAE.002.jpeg

They come with a cartridge as well as a label ;-)

Hey, have you got an STL file for the 3D letters, they look cool? Can you share on thingiverse or here in forum?

Hi,

Apologies, I meant to do this ages ago.

I've attached both the STL file and the OpenSCAD file if you want to make any changes.

These are designed to be printed with a layer height of 0.2mm, and a filament change (black -> red) after the second layer (before the lettering is printed).

Robin

P.S. For those wondering what these files are - the STL file allows you to 3d print a "label" to apply to the top of a standard atari cartridge shell (e.g. combat) which hides any raggedness left when you cut a slot for the SD card. It also has a nice embossed UnoCart logo.

Uno-2600.zip

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We have identified another bottleneck in the DPC emulation which would cause stability issues on some systems. Here is a beta version of the firmware which should address the issue. I'm including the elf and bin of the firmware for anyone who wishes to program the firmware directly via ST-Link.

If you have the 2018-06-30 version of the firmware which includes ACE file support you can simply run the FirmwareUpdater.bin and it will reflash the firmware for you. Keep in mind this is a beta and has only been tested on a single Atari so far. Though it is very unlikely to fail, I can't guarantee this will work for everyone. If power is lost during the update or some other failure occurs you may have to program the firmware via ST-Link in order to recover the cart back to a useable state.

I'm also including a copy of the updater with the 2018-06-30 firmware so the firmware updater can be tested easier. The 2018-10-05 version will show a 1 next to R. Edwards, while the 2018-06-30 will just show "By R. Edwards".

All feedback is appreciated.

To update via SD simply copy 2018-10-05-FirmwareUpdater.bin to the SD card and run it from the UnoCart-2600 menu. Once you run it you must not power off the system until the "Update Complete" screen is displayed. The whole process should take less than a minute.

attachicon.gifUpdateComplete.png

attachicon.gif2018-10-05-UnoCart-2600-Frimware.zip

So, any reports on this? I was going to post to the website, but I wanted to know if I should start shipping carts with this firmware on it.

So, any reports on this? I was going to post to the website, but I wanted to know if I should start shipping carts with this firmware on it.

I haven't heard anything other than what was posted in this thread. If you're getting a lot of dpc failure reports with the current version it would probably be worth moving to the latest. Otherwise I'd probably just stick with what you've been using and direct anyone with dpc issues to the experimental version.

Some time in the near future I plan on making another build available that will address a very rare problem with JRs and another issue that appears to be related to the startup speed of the cart.

I've added a bullet point about the planned stand-alone version, and a presenter note about the 2 UnoCart specific games.

I got the photo and specs from here, I gather they were increased at some point and this wasn't updated.

https://github.com/robinhedwards/UnoCart-2600

Looks much better that what I had, must also be a more current design than the photo I'd found.

Thanks!

Will you and the others who extended DPC allow DPC+ to be supported in the UNO Cart firmware?

Stella supports DPC+ and CDF currently.

Dirty Harry rewrote the TIA emulation that is in the current Stella.

I mention Dirty Harry because I think he is involved in the Uno Cart. Maybe I’m wrong.

Edited by iesposta

Is there a step by step guide to update the UNO firmware if like me you have an older firmware and need to use an ST Link type device?

The manual pdf on the github page makes mention of it but doesn't really walk through it and I'm a bit nervous about having the cart in my 2600, connected to my PC without some idea of what I'm doing :)

I picked up a ST Link for a couple of £ but would appreciate guidance on the "how" part.

Is there a step by step guide to update the UNO firmware if like me you have an older firmware and need to use an ST Link type device?

The manual pdf on the github page makes mention of it but doesn't really walk through it and I'm a bit nervous about having the cart in my 2600, connected to my PC without some idea of what I'm doing :)

I picked up a ST Link for a couple of £ but would appreciate guidance on the "how" part.

Do you have the software installed? Link: https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-link004.html

I will try to do a video tomorrow and post a link. It's pretty easy.

Videos:

How to flash with STLink/V2:

How to update via SD card:

• Like 2

Do you have the software installed? Link: https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-link004.html

I will try to do a video tomorrow and post a link. It's pretty easy.

Thanks MacRorie,

I've downloaded the the updater software from the link, a vid would be great, but step by step instructions would be just as good, just want to makes sure I don't fry anything :)

Will you and the others who extended DPC allow DPC+ to be supported in the UNO Cart firmware?

Stella supports DPC+ and CDF currently.

Dirty Harry rewrote the TIA emulation that is in the current Stella.

I mention Dirty Harry because I think he is involved in the Uno Cart. Maybe Im wrong.

I would love for DPC+ and CDF to be ported to the UNO cart and the forthcoming single-game version, would allow for larger games, better digital audio samples, etc. Games that are designed for Melody could be set up so a simple recompile would make a UNO cart version. Something like:

#ifdef UNO_CART
    #define ROM_BASE 0x08000000 ??
    #define RAM_BASE 0x20000000 ??
#else
    #define ROM_BASE 0
    #define RAM_BASE 0x40000000
#endif

Also the "driver" would be swapped out.

?? Unsure if I found(lines 86 & 87) the correct ROM and RAM locations for the UNO_CART.

• Like 1

I mention Dirty Harry because I think he is involved in the Uno Cart. Maybe I’m wrong.

I am :) I provided the supercharger driver and the code for transferring games to flash.

I would love for DPC+ and CDF to be ported to the UNO cart and the forthcoming single-game version, would allow for larger games, better digital audio samples, etc. Games that are designed for Melody could be set up so a simple recompile would make a UNO cart version. Something like:

#ifdef UNO_CART
    #define ROM_BASE 0x08000000 ??
    #define RAM_BASE 0x20000000 ??
#else
    #define ROM_BASE 0
    #define RAM_BASE 0x40000000
#endif

Also the "driver" would be swapped out.

?? Unsure if I found(lines 86 & 87) the correct ROM and RAM locations for the UNO_CART.

The locations look correct :) I did some research on running DPC+ on the UNO earlier this year, and I am pretty sure that it can be done, possibly even for unmodified ROMs. The beginning of the address space can be remapped to RAM (the vector table can be relocated), so ROM at 0x0 would be fine. As for the RAM addresses, I did some experiments in emulation (with input from Thomas) and was able to run Stay Frosty 2 and Draconian on the modified memory map by patching the binary. Of course, recompiling would be more reliable.

As for the driver, my tentative plan is to recreate it from scratch for the UNO and replace the entry points that are called from game code with trampolines that jump into the UNO card driver. It may still take some time until we are sufficiently settled in our new house to restart working on this, but I intend to. Of course, I would also be happy to help someone else do it.

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 3

Has anyone tried the uno cart in a 7800? Sorry if the question has been asked!

That is where and how I use mine. Never had any issues. In fact I use my UNO and my Harmony in 7800s send to me for mod work as part of my burn in testing and diagnostics on them. Never had a 7800 that wouldn't work with it.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried the uno cart in a 7800? Sorry if the question has been asked!

Every single 2600-UNO I sell is tested on a 7800. Initially, I was beta-testing on a light sixer, but the 7800 is just easier to setup and test. Never had a problem. But, then, there are true blue 2600 games that do not work on some 7800 models, so YMMV.

I also have a PAL (French) 7800 that I test on. The PAL 7800 is very nice because it has the DIN13 connector on it.

• Like 1

Thanks MacRorie,

I've downloaded the the updater software from the link, a vid would be great, but step by step instructions would be just as good, just want to makes sure I don't fry anything :)

Well, you are not applying power from the STLink software, so the worst that can happen is that the STLink software does not see the chip.

Hi, just one thing. I've started to read this thread and see that the developer @moonsweeper was located in Scotland. Any chance to buy the 2600 uno cart here in Europe? thanks.

I ship to Europe at just slightly more than I charge for shipping in the US, that, added to the fact that the Euro is worth more than the dollar, it's pretty good price. Check out the webpage for details (or PM me)

Every single 2600-UNO I sell is tested on a 7800. Initially, I was beta-testing on a light sixer, but the 7800 is just easier to setup and test. Never had a problem. But, then, there are true blue 2600 games that do not work on some 7800 models, so YMMV.

How well does the UNO handle Supercharger .BINs on a 7800? My Harmony plays the Supercharger games fine on my 2600s but both of my 7800s are incompatible with the Harmony/Supercharger combo. I am wondering if the UNO might have any similar issues with some 7800s?

I ship to Europe at just slightly more than I charge for shipping in the US, that, added to the fact that the Euro is worth more than the dollar, it's pretty good price. Check out the webpage for details (or PM me)

You're right, but what about customs? I know that I Can buy from US but.. if the customs charges the import taxes it's not so good..